Author Topic: Lehmann Dough Calculator  (Read 59975 times)

Offline smokey12

Re: Lehmann Dough Calculator-spreadsheet format?
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2009, 10:55:36 AM »
I'm just curious, is the Lehman Dough Calculator available is spreadsheet format?  It's an excellent tool.  I would like to incorporate it into an electronic way of saving my test recipes on my PC along with pics of the pizzas with them.  (Rather than printing out the each dough calculator and keeping them in a binder).  Or, maybe you guys have a suggestion on how you do it.  I don't mind storing/saving files in excel according to types of pizza/crust & dates etc....that's just an organizational thing.  I thought that it would be nice to have pics of the results next to the calculator with notes/results from each recipe.  I guess if it's available in PDF, that would work.  But if I ever wanted to search all my recipes for, let's say a 40% hydration, spreadsheets offer that search function easily.  Jeff V's would work, buth the Lehman offers the TF.  Thanks,  Smokey

Offline hotsawce

Re: Lehmann Dough Calculator
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2010, 01:05:52 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have the mathematical formulas for the dough calculator. I don't understand how it works, and want to!

Offline Bob1

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2010, 08:46:26 AM »
hotsawce,
It's really pretty easy, do you have Excel?

Bob

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010, 05:22:51 PM »
Just want to say this the dough calculator is a real treasure.

Thanks again for making it available.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline matermark

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2011, 11:39:14 AM »
Could someone comment on how the COPY function formats? I can't get it to format correctly. I've tried Notepad, Edit Plus and MS Word 2007 and it never pastes as the way it should look. I even changed the brackets ([ & ]) to (< & >) but still have formatting problems.

I usually get all the names at the top half of the page and all the results at the bottom half.

Does EVERY line need it's own html code instead, and how? I'm rusty with html tables.

I'd really like to save my various tests besides printing... can it be pasted into Excel?

Any help would be appreciated and thanks for the great work!

It shows up fine on message boards though!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:46:37 AM by matermark »

Offline compatta

• Good pizza haunts you, driving you mad for more.
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2011, 12:26:49 AM »
I got a tip for you. Use Prnt Screen, Go to paint, paste it, presto. your good to go!
The true and quintessential version of pie to me is [NEO-New Haven]:
Crust of a New Haven Pizza with the Signature California style that
makes Fresh and Organic Pizza Possible.

Offline matermark

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2011, 12:49:44 AM »
Thanks! I'll have to try that with the standard calculator but for the "expanded" calculator it cut the top third or so off and just barely got the last line (Total 168.5%) included.... so from that line up to "Enter the desired commercial yeast amount:" was included. Everything above the yeast line (type of yeast, hydration %, pan dimensions, thickness factor, # of doughballs, etc) gets cut off. This is important to be because I specialize in Old Forge type pizza, and choose rectangular instead of round, and various dimensions (11x17 pan, 15x15 pan, 14x15 stone, 12x16/13x15/15x16 parchment papers, etc.)

It must be formatted for pasting here into php type message boards because it showed up perfectly when I pasted it here.  There has to be an easier way to copy/paste than say, pasting it here, preview the post, then copy it from here into wherever we want it, then delete the post here!

Offline matermark

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2011, 12:55:25 AM »
Flour (100%):
Water (59%):
IDY (1.5%):
Salt (1%):
Canola Oil (2%):
Sugar (4%):
Dry Non-Fat Milk (1%):
Total (168.5%):
361.82 g  |  12.76 oz | 0.8 lbs
213.47 g  |  7.53 oz | 0.47 lbs
5.43 g | 0.19 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.8 tsp | 0.6 tbsp
3.62 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.65 tsp | 0.22 tbsp
7.24 g | 0.26 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.59 tsp | 0.53 tbsp
14.47 g | 0.51 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.63 tsp | 1.21 tbsp
3.62 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 2.52 tsp | 0.84 tbsp
609.67 g | 21.5 oz | 1.34 lbs | TF = 0.115

Offline matermark

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2011, 12:58:10 AM »
I just tried copying the above and it puts everything on the left above everything on the right... like this:

Flour (100%):
Water (59%):
IDY (1.5%):
Salt (1%):
Canola Oil (2%):
Sugar (4%):
Dry Non-Fat Milk (1%):
Total (168.5%):
361.82 g  |  12.76 oz | 0.8 lbs
213.47 g  |  7.53 oz | 0.47 lbs
5.43 g | 0.19 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.8 tsp | 0.6 tbsp
3.62 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.65 tsp | 0.22 tbsp
7.24 g | 0.26 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.59 tsp | 0.53 tbsp
14.47 g | 0.51 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.63 tsp | 1.21 tbsp
3.62 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 2.52 tsp | 0.84 tbsp
609.67 g | 21.5 oz | 1.34 lbs | TF = 0.115

All it does is gets rid of the table code.

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2011, 10:03:06 PM »
When Peter and I were working on the dough calculator, we thought it was primarily going to be used for members to post their variations in the forum.  When you click on the copy button, it automatically generates the proper html code to include a table so that all the information lines up correctly on the forum.  Have you tried highlighting the output with the cursor then right-clicking to copy?  That will give you plain text version, but might not really insert into an excell sheet in proper columns and rows.

Mike

Offline matermark

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2011, 12:41:37 AM »
I've tried just about every possible way to get it to format in other programs like e-mail and html but to no avail.

I did learn, after studying what it does wrong, how to fix it. You paste it and then go manually edit each line.

There has to be a better mousetrap! In e-mails, I edit every line, taking the bottom lines and adding each to the upper lines--cutting & pasting each.

Thanks for all the hard work on this though, it is appreciated.

When it comes to the suggestions box, it would be GREAT to have a field box that you can enter a comment or name... for example, I may print 10 different calculations, sometimes just 1 or 2 ingredients changed... or pan dimensions changed... and it would be great to be able to add a comment line or to name that page that we are about ready to print so that we can distinguish it from the last one printed still sitting in the printer outbox/tray. Maybe just the hydration changed a few pct, or the ingredients got rounded to whole gram or tsp or TBS or oz to make it easier to measure it out faster. Or just a name box that we can type into the calculator so we don't have to remember which calculation is which... somewhere where we can put in "Patsy's reverse engineered..." or "fast rise no wait formula" or "sourdough starter formula" or "17x11 sicilian" or "pan pizza type" or "0.115 thickness factor" or anything for that matter.

I have a laptop wired down to an external LCD monitor, then wifi to an old color HP Laser about 4ft tall in the spare bedroom (that becomes the tomato & pepper starting room right around now), then I get the stuff from the printer after x minutes needed to warm up, calibrate, then print, then take all the formulas downstairs to the kitchen and decide what we'll be mixing up today!

This all would help, too, because the computer isn't always near the mixer and digital scale... for many of us, they aren't even on the same floor! You think the calculator is only used on this message board between a few members? :o It has become MUCH, MUCH BIGGER THAN THAT!!! :chef: :-D

Offline tomfor

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2011, 07:27:31 PM »
Right click the output area, chose SELECT ALL and then right click COPY
go to spreadsheet and ctrl V or paste, it should paste properly.    It will paste into a word doc also.

Offline matermark

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2011, 09:56:49 PM »
Right click the output area, chose SELECT ALL and then right click COPY
go to spreadsheet and ctrl V or paste, it should paste properly.    It will paste into a word doc also.

What exactly do you call the output area? Usually, I get the "Settings" and "About Adobe Flash Player...." when I right click over the results. I redownloaded Adobe Flash after rebooting and at the prompts by adobe Flash. Now I understand what you mean about Select All and copying--before "Select All" never appeared, only the Settings and About.

So now, when I use the "copy button" the problem is still there. It inserts the table codes into the paste at the top, middle & bottom (top= table, td, middle=/td, td,  and last line = /td, /table, all tags were inside [ & ].

But now it appears to work by doing a CTRL+A, CTRL+C, CTRL+V! I tried it with the Select All too and it is showing up now in the right click menu, and working too.

That's an improvement from before.

Thanks and hoping for a comment/naming field for printing!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:32:56 PM by matermark »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2011, 10:38:16 PM »
It seemed to me that at one time there was a Notes section in the Lehmann tool. So I went back to an old printout and confirmed my recollection. At the time there was no Copy feature, so my suspicion is that Mike needed the real estate to add the Copy feature and usurped the Notes real estate to add that feature. If Mike reads this post he might be able to tell us if that was the reason.

I do not believe that any of the dough calculating tools can be upgraded or revised at this point. Mike was using facilities at a former employer, and my recollection is that he said that he would need those facilities to make any changes.

Peter

Offline matermark

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2011, 11:45:18 PM »
Thanks for the info Peter.

From the first 3 posts, it sounds like there was an Excel version, no?

I did have Jeff V's Excel file but I got lost understanding it compared to this, and even this calculator, sometimes I have to change a number back to zero to see what it changes or affects.

The biggest problem is keeping track of each calculator when I start making changes--they get lost printing them because it's a long process here--hit the print button...then wait for the laser to "wake up" and then warm up, calibrate, etc, I think it may need to take three or four rotations of the drum to deposit cyan, blue, magenta and black, it may be 5 minutes or more--and I could have went back to the calculator and made changes and got new results and hit the print button again... and the whole process can be done numerous times in that 5 minutes. Not to mention how long it takes me to get my bionics assembled enough to get up to go to the printer in the other room to fetch the printed calculations that look sometimes so much alike that I'd forget which is which in 5 minutes!

The best I did so far was a draft e-mail in Outlook that never gets sent but just gets modified when I remember to add to it by copying from a calculator output and pasting into this e-mail. Now at least things will be easier pasting without having to edit a dozen lines stripping table html code. Now I can get back to printing out more calculations and try more pizzas. Three a week for a family of one simply isn't enough. :o

Offline lumpynose

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2011, 01:57:49 AM »
This question wasn't answered?  I'd like to understand how it works as well.

Thanks

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have the mathematical formulas for the dough calculator. I don't understand how it works, and want to!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2011, 09:48:04 AM »
This question wasn't answered?  I'd like to understand how it works as well.

lumpynose,

Basically what the Lehmannn dough calculating tool does is to automate and perform the types of calculations and conversions as described in Reply 29 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg5431/topicseen.html#msg5431. In fact it was that post that I used as a guide in designing the Lehmann dough calculating tool. I did not do the programming of that tool (Boy His Car did that), so I can't help you with programming details.

You will note that there are two options. For the Dough Weight option, you start with a desired dough batch weight (or dough ball weight for a single dough ball). For the Thickness Factor option, as described, for example, in the abovereferenced post, you start with the thickness factor along with the desire pizza size. The pizzas can even be rectangular if you'd like, and you can select any number of dough balls. But in all cases, you need to know the baker's percents for a given recipe or else convert the recipe to a baker's percent format.

It used to take me as long as a half hour or more to do all the math and conversions before the Lehmann dough calculating tool existed (although I had an interim spreadsheet that saved time). Now I can do the same things in a minute or two or even faster, plus print out the formulas or embody them in posts.

Peter

Offline matermark

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2011, 01:01:49 PM »
Lumpy, I had trouble understanding it too, especially the thickness factor because it didn't relate to anything like inch fractions or mm or anything.

If you are new to baking pizza by percentages, I found this site that explains things well, and also has 21 dough recipes!

http://www.correllconcepts.com/Encyclopizza/05_Dough-making/_05_dough-making.htm

Then you can use the % numbers in this calculator by putting in the size of the pizza by inches or ounces or whatever, how many dough balls you want to make, and the rest of the percentages and everything will be calculated--how much of each ingredient to use to make the dough.

Hope this helps.

EDIT (2/1/2013): For an alternative to the Correll link, see http://web.archive.org/web/20040606221443/http://correllconcepts.com/Encyclopizza/05_Dough-making/_05_dough-making.htm
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:03:55 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline lumpynose

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2011, 01:34:49 PM »
Ok, thanks.

I noticed that there were some requests for enhancements and the response was that Boy Hits Car no longer has the resources to update it.  It seemed to me, having been a programmer (recently retired), that since it's a web form with fill in boxes doing simple calculations that it could also be done entirely in JavaScript with no need for Flash.  jQuery could be used for any fancy bells and whistles and to make it more maintainable.

But no promises from me; since I've retired all I seem to be doing is running, eating, reading, and sleeping.  Oh yeah, and some cooking.

Offline lumpynose

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2011, 01:43:14 PM »
And the truly enterprising programmer could make it into Android and iPhone apps.  Although with jQuery it should be possible to make it work well on a web page on a phone.