Author Topic: California style  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
California style
« on: April 19, 2004, 02:25:48 PM »
Had DKM’s thin crust last week and it was delicious.  This week back to New York or really more of a California style with the inclusion of pineapple.  

What is everybody else got planned?

8)

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
Re:California style
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 07:15:35 PM »
 :)Had Chicago Style Deepdish for lunch. mmmmmmmm
Sausage, Pepperoni, onion, Mozz, Smoked Provolone. ;D
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 08:38:59 PM »
:)Had Chicago Style Deepdish for lunch. mmmmmmmm
Sausage, Pepperoni, onion, Mozz, Smoked Provolone. ;D

Have to do Chicago for a project.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 09:42:34 PM »
Thanks for the reminder I had forgotten about wanting to try Smoked Provolone.
 8)
Randy

stock

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 11:03:32 PM »
i'm looking to make a thick and chewy chicago style pizza on friday (perhaps even a little doughy), though i haven't decided on a recipe to try yet.  any suggestions?
-scott

Offline LMU Pizza Man

• I'm a not a llama! But I caddied for him once.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 01:49:03 AM »
Well talk about California Style, I cooked for a party on friday and tried out a Thai Chicken and a Salmon Pesto. Man that pesto goes great right on top of some slightly thicker crust. Reminds me of some good Foccacia I had in my younger years. :P

Offline Pizzaholic

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 09:54:27 AM »
I am gong to experiment with a chicago style this weekend if possible, running low on KASL flour. Need to restock.
Also have a sourdough starter in the works to experiment with(after I go thru all the steps).
Anyone have input on adding a little starter to their pizza dough recipe to make a more yeasty taste.
Just a thought that I had.
Pizzaholic

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 03:25:01 PM »
I'm getting everything together for a chicago style pie as well. Want to finally give it a try. Never had one, never made one. Hope it turns out really good.

Pierre

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 06:54:54 PM »
I'm getting everything together for a chicago style pie as well. Want to finally give it a try. Never had one, never made one. Hope it turns out really good.

Pierre

Have the 6-in-1 tomatoes arrived yet??  ???
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 07:11:09 PM »
One thing I did on my last Chicago Style was to cube the provalone and push it into the dough in the pan (not sure where I read that ) it was a little different, not much but different. Kind of like the cheese blended a little with the dough in some spots, great texture.

Also I put a little Italian Breadcrumbs on top of the sauce, just a little. Read that somewhere else to can't remember where, kinda wanna say that it was a Sicilian recipe.

Enjoy your Chicagos Everyone!!!
Viva la Al Capone 8)

Offline Pierre

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 04:05:51 PM »
Not yet Steve, hope they arrive soon. In the mean time I'm going to try to get the dough/crust right and use a brand of tomatoes availble here.

After lot's of shopping sprees, looking in all the Supermarkets and small shops, I was able to borrow a "Metro" card from a good friend of mine. "Metro" is huge conglomerate Corporation in Europe and I suppose something like Sam's Club. It is not open to the general public, only to those running a business of anysort. They sell food and nonfood products in normal sized packages and in commercial size as well.

I was not able to find any special canned tomatoes that I wouldn't find in normal Supermarkets. But I was able to finally find a Provolone (in a 1kg loaf).  I also bought a 1 kilogram loaf of Italian whole milk Mozzarella (more compact and not as moist as the Mozzarella balls you can buy in other stores) and a 3 kg loaf of young Gouda.

The Provolone was priced € 8,99. The Mozzarella was € 5,29. The Gouda costs € 9,99. The Gouda was the greatest bargain, 1/3 of the regular supermarket price. This is the place where I will buying Cheese from now on.

Pierre

stock

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2004, 11:04:25 AM »

Pierre, did you end up making the chicago style pizza?  if so, what were the results?  after my last pizza, i'm having difficulty getting my studies into my mind, and chicago style pizza out.
-scott

Offline Pierre

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2004, 05:10:47 PM »
no, sorry guy's. I had to postpone it to the middle of this coming week.

I had too much to do on the weekend again and lately have been having that feeling of turning in circles and getting nothing done right. My little girl (22 months) is in a phase where she wants a lot of attention, which she permanently reminds me of too!! ::)

Ever have those weeks also?

As it is though I plan it for Wednesday now. Hope nothing comes in between. I am really anxious to try it out.

Pierre

*edit* due to miscoordination of hand and brain.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 05:21:00 PM by Pierre »

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2004, 12:10:05 AM »
Pierre:

Can totally identify. One of those weeks is my daily routine. About 2 years ago I contracted an unknown heart virus and it brought my heart down to 30%. Lost my business I built up and became financially strapped. They were talking heart transplant until the boatload of pills they were giving me brought the heart back. Just had a heart echo 2 weeks ago and back to almost 100%. I am one lucky duck. But the point of the story is not the sickness. It is that I was home all that time and then once well enough decided to take my boys out of daycare and keep them home with me (Mr. Mom) . Now I am taking off until after Christmas this year to stay with them.
They are 2 and 5 years old. And although they are the best thing in my life, I could also swear that they are the spawn of the antichrist.
So to make a long story long, yep I can COMPLETELY IDENTIFY with your little one needing the attention.
Just get that little one up on the counter to throw the cheese on that pie. Get them hooked on zza early... ;D ;D

Offline Pierre

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2004, 04:09:42 PM »
Focaccia, I've read that many times in medical journals with respect to infections (whether FLU or other viral or bacterial infections) weakening or damaging the Cardio muscles. You are very lucky that your body reacted well to the medication and your heart muscles have recovered. Although we all don't know each other personally, I have that feeling as though we are all a bit "family".

I had to laugh a bit because of the parallels we often encounter in other peoples lives. I myself also was the homekeeper for quite awhile and my wife had to bring home the bacon (ok, I did receive disibility during the time but it was not much). I had a sport accident 7 years ago and had a multiple impression fracture of the left Tibia (left knee joint, shin bone). Had 6 operations in 4 years and had long recovery and rehabs between the OP's. The knee was stiff as a board the first year and although I never thought I would ever be able to move that knee again, I am now walking quite good and can say "you learn to live" with the pain that knee causes.

I used very strong medication in the first year (Traumadol) and yes I could have also held a conversation with a pizza! :D Traumadol comes as drops and so I would not scream up at night (everytime a butterfly landed on my knee; just to describe how painful that knee was) my wife would put some Traumadol in some water, which I would drink at night. The bottle had a drop nozzle which should drip but sometimes would pour, so she sometimes lost count! :P And Wooheeee... ::) (I am in no way endorsing the misuse of medication)

Kimberly (my daughter) is already showing an interest for bread and pizza dough making. I sometimes place her on the washing machine next to the kitchen countertop. "My Freetime" is usually limited to the late evening hours, oh well, welcome to parenthood!

a great big hello to your 2 little Devils !! from Hamburg, Germany....

Pierre  (sorry for the windy posting guys)