Author Topic: The best Los Angeles area pizza?  (Read 7464 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: The best Los Angeles area pizza?
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 07:35:35 PM »
I just stumbled upon totally authentic NY style street pizza in Los angeles.  The pizzeria is called King of New York.  I really thought I was eating at Rays or Bens.   I can't believe it but they actually don't use a pizza screen.  YYYYAAAAHHHHOOOOO.

I still crave some high temp pies out here, but for the NY street slice I don't think I am going to find much better.  The only thing that didn't seem authentic was a bit of cornmeal on the bottom of the crust, but luckily they didn't use too much of it.  The cheese is grande, which as many here know is not my favorite, but the pizza was great regardless. The stanislaus tomatos are right on.  If you are from NY and live in LA now this place is going to make you very happy.

I am proud of these guys because one of the big things the california pizzerias have going against them is the lack of bromated flour out here.  In NY all the pizzerias are still using this crutch, and it is part of the NY street pizza "thing". 

This pizzeria takes the sauce and cheese of The Village Pizzeria in Larchmont, and pairs it with the crust of Damianos.  Exactly what I wanted to find in LA.

Two Locations:
King of New York Pizzeria
301 S. Western Ave. (at the corner of 3rd)

Opening soon, somewhere on sunset

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 05:03:57 PM by scott r »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 05:02:27 PM »
I went back to King of NY yesterday. The pizza was still really good, but I noticed a big change in the crust from when I had it a few days earlier. The sauce and cheese still rocked. I noticed that even though they have a grande cheese sign, and they are using grande fresh mozzarella for the specialty pies (great choice!), they were not using grande mozzarella for their standard pies. That's sort of false advertising, but no complaints here. The cheese was very much like the best street slices in NY.

I had a quick chat with the owner about how hard it is to make such authentic NY crust without using bromated flour (standard in NY, but illegal here in california). I then found out why the pizza was so good the other day, but a little bit off today. He admitted that they are importing frozen dough balls from his brothers pizzeria in the Bronx. I would imagine that the thawing process can be tricky to deal with. At least this pizza was miles above the suckers that are importing NY city water here to LA.

I still recommend this place highly, but I will have to report back after a few more visits on the potential inconsistency of the crust. I am very surprised that I was so happy with the crust the other day now knowing that it is made with frozen dough, but it was definitely right on.

After two visits I recommend getting a whole pizza here, as they don't seem to have enough business to keep the slices fresh.

I also found out that they are opening a third larger location on sunset in the near future.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 05:05:54 PM by scott r »

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 05:12:52 PM »
Scott --

I was so excited to go there, and you have rained on my parade.  :'(  Still gonna hit it.

-- GB
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 06:54:07 PM »
yes, worth the trip.

I know the pizza scene is bad in a city when the best pizzeria I can find is using frozen dough.

I am sure that the best pizza in Los Angeles comes out of your oven!

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 12:12:57 AM »
You are obviously quite discerning...  ;D
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 02:57:37 PM »
Just hit up D'amores in Malibu and was happy with the place.  They claim to import the water from boston, which we all know is a joke, but the pizza was pretty good.  Cornmeal on the bottom and the chewy dough was very much like the boston landmark Santarpios, but the sauce is just more "cooked" tasting.  I missed the fresh sauce, but this place is still worth a trip. Apparently there are tons of new locations popping up all around LA.  My favorite things here are the pasta dishes which were totally spot on.  I felt just like I was in Boston or NY eating at a good Italian take out joint. If you go definitely try the combo chicken/eggplant parm.

I still prefer King of NY when they are having a good crust day, but I will go back to D'amores again for sure.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 04:07:57 PM by scott r »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2007, 04:06:13 PM »
Ok, Had D'amores two more times.  It actually got better and better.  Except for the sauce this pizza is EXACTLY like Santarpio's, one of the best pizzerias in Boston.    They even packed the pepperoni under the cheese just like the famous pizzeria.  Again, I can't vouch for the other locations, but the original one in Malibu is excellent.  If there are any homesick Bostonians out here (like me) it is a a welcomed taste of the east coast.

For anyone interested this pizza is not really NY style.  It is actually a hybrid of NY/Connecticut style pizza, so any Pepe's or Sally's fans out there should like it.  If you want it more Connecticut style just ask for the pizza well done.  The crust is not as tender as a typical NY pizza, and it is a bit thicker, but the flavor is there in spades.  I reccomend the pepperoni Pizza and chicken or eggpland parm.

Nice to know that I have found my NY style, and my Connecticut/boston style pizza here in this massive city.  I just wish I could find a decent Neapolitan place and my quest could be over.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 04:13:06 PM by scott r »

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2007, 07:27:48 PM »
There's Il Capriccio Pizzeria, it's located where Hillhurst and Hollywood Blvd intersect.  It a new place.  Have not been there yet.  One of the guys there trianed in Italy, not sure if it was Naples.
-JP-

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2007, 02:19:45 PM »
In LA, we always go to a small, often overlooked place called, "Barones" in Van Nuys.  I'm a pizzaholic, and that place is the only place I can get a fix (unless I brave the oven myself). They serve a thin crust, square ( not thick Siscilian), baked in the pan pizza.  Be sure to order the "low carb" and have them bake it "extra crispy".  Those last 2 suggestions make a world of difference on this pie.  The pepperoni and sausage they use is as good as it gets.

My only problem with them is that they are inconsistent.  Some of their pizzas are fantastic, while some have been mediocre.  Seems it depends on who's manning the ovens that day.

Give them a try. 

Dan
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 12:18:30 PM »
Just to update this thread a bit, I recommend Mozza in LA. It is somewhat controversial because some people don't like their dough (too breadlike?), but I find it absolutely delicious.  Another excellent pizza can be had in Orange  County at Pizzeria Ortica, near South Coast Plaza.  It is really good.  Also Casa Bianca in Eagle Rock for a very delicious cracker thin crust.  It's an LA original, and very fun with a big group of people. The staff is great too.  (Bring cash; they don't take credit cards (but there is an ATM.)

Tinroof
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 12:20:32 PM by tinroofrusted »

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2009, 05:03:18 PM »
Only in L.A. would people complain about pizza crust being too bread-like.  ??? :-D :-D :-D :-D
Let them eat pizza.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2009, 09:09:15 PM »
if I remember Johnnys Pizza on Santa Monica Blvd in Beverly Hills (a few blocks going towards santa monica from the Beverly hills hilton right side on the corner}
It was not a bad pizza,kinda good if you don't know the area......JT

pizzapan