Author Topic: If you knew then what you know now about WFO's...  (Read 3614 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: If you knew then what you know now about WFO's...
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 10:51:01 PM »
Bill,

Really nice set up.  First class like the pies that emerge from your ovens depths.

I'm interested in your decicion to have the pie bulding area facing the oven mouth.  In pizzareas it seems more common for the counter to run up on one side of the oven (perpendicular to the oven mouth.)

Also what sort of shelter do you have over the work area/oven?

AZ

Thanks, AZ. The decision was very complicated. Factors included the size and shape of the available area, protecting the oven mouth from the wind and me from the weather, my desire to build-in four different stations (WFO, Wok/Prep, BBQ Pit, and Grill), etc. In the pizzerias I have visited in Naples, often the person building the pies is different for the person baking them, especially during peak periods. But I think the arrangement I have is better for one person. On very cold days, it is nice to have the fire warming my back. On really hot days, I sometimes place the door in front of the mouth so that it doesn't impede the draft, but it does block the radiant heat.

The whole outdoor kitchen is covered by a roof deck - that is where I grow my tomatoes.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:53:07 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 01:25:34 PM »
My search for an oven was based on the ability to somewhat replicate a true Neapolitan oven, and that meant as low a dome as possible.

Whether or not a low dome is of any benefit in the home setting can be debated. But there is one thing to consider: the larger models of some of the kit ovens also come with a correspondingly higher dome. So if a low dome is important to you, carefully check the specs from the manufacturer. You might want to select one of the smaller kits if you want a lower dome.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 06:14:23 PM »
Whether or not a low dome is of any benefit in the home setting can be debated. But there is one thing to consider: the larger models of some of the kit ovens also come with a correspondingly higher dome. So if a low dome is important to you, carefully check the specs from the manufacturer. You might want to select one of the smaller kits if you want a lower dome.

I should have elaborated on my statement, in that I was looking for a lower dome height in proportion to the overall width of the oven mouth and floor. The actual height itself is not relevant, only it's proportion - at least for a neapolitan style oven. The oven I have has an inside diameter of 28in, and a 13.5in dome height.

John