Author Topic: Taking Quality Pizza Photos  (Read 21259 times)

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Taking Quality Pizza Photos
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2008, 02:36:45 PM »
Bagel looks great with both backgrounds - pure white & the original not so white.

More importantly, what is the recipe? Did you use the traditional old school water boil method or just an oven bake?

Getting hungry.

PNW

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2008, 02:42:19 PM »
A bit of Photoshop for you
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2008, 02:54:11 PM »
More importantly, what is the recipe? Did you use the traditional old school water boil method or just an oven bake?

Recipe:

Hi-gluten flour: 100%
Water: 52%
Starter: 5% of total dough weight
Sugar: 5%
Maple sugar: 20%
Salt: 1.5%

The interesting thing about this recipe was the use of maple sugar rather than barley malt syrup. I liked it so much I think I'll try maple sugar instead of the plain sugar also. These bagels are boiled before baking. The boiling water also had some maple sugar to enhance the shine (which I knocked down a bit with the polarizer).

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2008, 02:57:06 PM »
A bit of Photoshop for you
Nice, mmarston. I'll just email you the RAW files from now on so you can show me how badly I suck at Photoshop. You have seen this, I hope. Hilarious, espcecially episode 10.

Bill/SFNM

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2008, 03:08:14 PM »
That is hilarious! I had not seen that before. Much better than Photoshop TV.
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2008, 03:46:10 PM »
Hey! hey! hey!!! That's my bagel you used to vastly improve that photo, although I would have replaced all the rocks with bagels.  :)

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2008, 03:51:59 PM »
Hey! hey! hey!!! That's my bagel you used to vastly improve that photo, although I would have replaced all the rocks with bagels.  :)

Wow, I sure hope you mean the five foreground character rocks, because replacing the thousands of rocks in the image would take a major effort.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2008, 06:23:03 PM »
Maple sugar: 20%

Bill,

Thanks for the recipe. I am however assuming a typo on the Maple sugar. Is it 2% and any reason you could not substitute Maple syrup? Also does the maple flavor come through?

PNW

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2008, 06:30:41 PM »
No idea why I messed up the formula. I think I got a phone call in the middle. I even left out an ingredient. It should be:

Maple sugar: 4.8%
Dry milk: 4.8%

No reason why you couldn't use maple syrup - just have to adjust the hydration some. You would never have been able to the very interesting sweetness as coming from maple. I want to crank it up a bit next time to see what happens.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2008, 10:01:48 AM »
The white looks snow-white to me Bill.

Great image, I can really see the texture of the bagel.

P.S. - do you have a nice coffee and some cream cheese to go with that ?  ;D

I re-calibrated my monitor. The background is supposed to be pure white. Is it on your monitors?

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2008, 04:39:13 PM »
I just got some new lighting gear, umbrellas, etc. and found myself in need of a pizza to try out different lighting arrangements. No pizza (they last about 30 seconds around here), so I was using a frisbee (courtesy of my dog) as a stand-in. Then the thought occurred to me: why not a fake pizza? I've seen all kinds of plastic food replicas in the windows of Japanese eateries. Surely there must be inexpensive plastic replica pizzas. Well I did find one for $20 that didn't look any better than my dog's frisbee. No, I take that back; the frisbee was more realistic. But to get anything even semi-realistic is over $80, some even close to $200!!!!! Not what I had in mind.

I made an extra pizza today and stuck it in the freezer to be used whenever I need a stand-in. The dog wants his frisbee back.

Bill/SFNM

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2008, 06:05:35 PM »
Bill,

I don't suppose you're good with sculpting or clay modeling?  There are a whole host of do-it-yourself possibilities.

http://www.amaco.com/prodcat-modeling-clays-69.html

Red, yellow, white and some blending is all you need for a basic pizza (http://www.amaco.com/prod-super-dough-342.html).

- red.november

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2008, 09:14:58 AM »

I don't suppose you're good with sculpting or clay modeling? 

red.november,

I should probably stick to frozen pie models. My clay sculpting skills probably haven't improved since my last attempt in kindergarten.

Bill/SFNM

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2008, 09:07:24 PM »
Looking at Bill/SFNM's beautifully prepared and photographed pizzas has made me wonder whether he is using some of the techniques ("tricks") described and shown at the following websites: http://photocritic.org/food-photo-tricks/ and http://www.thewvsr.com/adsvsreality.htm.

The above links came from a recent thread at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?t=6247&sid=671edb0fa894afec203ed9269ddf4cd0. A related PMQTT thread is http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?t=6234.

Now I can see why my Papa John clone pizzas didn't look like the ones I saw at the Papa John's website >:(.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2008, 09:14:16 PM »
Looking at Bill/SFNM's beautifully prepared and photographed pizzas has made me wonder whether he is using some of the techniques ("tricks") described and shown at the following websites: http://photocritic.org/food-photo-tricks/ and http://www.thewvsr.com/adsvsreality.htm.

Peter,

Thank you for the kind words. I haven't gotten to the point of using any tricks. Still just trying to learn basic lighting and composition skills. Eventually I will turn my attention to more advanced techniques for making the food look as appetizing as possible. That's a long way off.

Bill/SFNM