Author Topic: Caputo vs. San Felice - Not really  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Caputo vs. San Felice - Not really
« on: August 18, 2006, 02:37:20 PM »
In a way, this post is about the performance of Caputo vs. San Felice pizzeria flour. But even more, it is about how my pizza has improved significantly over the past few months.

Thanks to pftaylor, I was able to get my hands on the San Felice flour several months ago. After a few tests, it was clear to me that is was superior to the Caputo I had been using for Neapolitan pies, in spite of several expert opinions to the contrary. I liked it and that was all that mattered to me. Since then, I have gone through 30 kilos of San Felice which works out to about 175 pies.

Interesting note: although I didn't consume all those pies myself, my weight has remained contant and my blood pressure has gone from normal to low. Perhaps I should write a pizza diet book and go on Oprah!

Although the formula for my dough varied little during the creation of all these pies, the quality improved steadily which I attribute to a change in my attitude. Very simply, all this practice helped me to relax; I was able to focus on the nuances of process, things I was in too much a hurry to notice before. It really is amazing how much a difference it makes if you can maintain your calm in front of a 950F oven. I'm a scientist/engineer by training and career, so it is strange for me say this, but making a Zen-like connection to your dough really works. Aauuuummmm.  ;D

At any rate, I was ready to tear open another bag of San Felice when it occurred to me to use some leftover Caputo just to see how it would come out. The resulting pie was clearly better than the San Felice pies. I am forced to conclude that Caputo is a better flour - I just lacked the skill level to bring out its best. I still have a long way to go, but I like the path I'm on.   

Bill/SFNM

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: Caputo vs. San Felice - Not really
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 11:43:36 PM »
No Bill..............Things just taste different when you're a moderator ;)
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 05:49:28 AM »
Bill, I don't have nearly the experience as you do with the SF, but so far I have not been able to beat my caputo pies. Everything has been done with IDY because I am trying to even out the playing field a little as Marco has suggested.  I have had two parties with six or seven guests where I asked everyones opinion on pizzas made with SF vs Caputo.  One time it was unanimous that the Caputo won, and the other time five out of six people preferred the Caputo.   I know you and Marco have had differing opinions on which flour had the better flavor, but I thought the difference was fairly subtle.  I sort of liked both for different reasons.   One or two of my guests have commented on flavor differences, but most thought that the Caputo texture was better.  I have certainly noticed that it is hard for me and others to articulate the differences between the two flours, but a favorite is always there when asked to choose. 

When I wrote my initial Luzzo's review I thought it was just the dough processing methods and the oven that gave them their signature.  Now I realize that the SF is a big factor.  The Caputo texture just seems more complex, and I like that.  It's almost as if the SF is light in the wrong way.   I sort of feel like the San Felice acts a little more like an American flour does at higher temps.   I am not saying that the pizzas made at hight temps are like a typical American pizza, but that when I use American flours at high temps I get a more SF style dough.   My observations could mean that the SF will work much better at lower temps than the Caputo, and this is really good news for most of this forum's members who don't have access to lightning fast bakes.

What I would like to try is a Caputo pie made at Luz's.  I am sure they made some and have a reason for going with the SF.  That will be an interesting conversation to have with them at some point (hopefully!).  I think that with their 1.5 minute bake the Caputo would give them a slightly more toothsome pizza (whatever that means).

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 07:52:19 AM »
Scott,

I think toothsome is the operative word. At first, I did like the softness of the San Felice pies, but after trying so many, I think the slightly more chewy Caputo gives a better effect. Also, I think my initial comparisons did not give the Caputo enough fermenting/proofing time to develop the flavor as fully as I am now doing. In the end, great pies can be made with both flours - the Caputo demands more skill but rewards with a better flavor and texture. My plan for the time being is to back to Caputo, finish the 10 kilos or so I have remaining, and then, perhaps try a few pies with San Felice just to see if my conclusions are still valid.

Bill/SFNM

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 01:21:13 PM »
They definitely are both outstanding flours!

pizzapan