Author Topic: cooking pizza without an oven  (Read 2823 times)

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
cooking pizza without an oven
« on: August 19, 2006, 01:23:30 PM »
So I moved into a new place, and the oven doesn't work.  The earliest Sears can get out to fix the oven is Sep 2.  I have been without cooking my own pizza for almost a month now, and it is as painful as it sounds.

Yesterday, Sears was supposed to come fix it, but mysteriously never had anyone scheduled to do it.  However, in anticipation of the oven being fixed, I had already prepped the dough the night before, as well as seasoned the sauce.  In frustration, I decided to have pizza last night anyways, and tried to do so by frying the pizza dough in a large frying pan I have...ughh...with vegetable oil.  It was hideously disgusting.

I am wondering though if anyone else has had any success cooking pizzas another way.  I have heard that grills are highly advocated, but I don't have a grill to work with unfortunately...well, I have a George Foreman grill if that counts as a grill.  Has anyone fried pizza with any success?  The microwave is my only other option I guess unless boiling would work.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
Re: cooking pizza without an oven
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 01:55:32 PM »
I don't know how to fry a pizza, but frying the dough and adding sugar is amazing...

Cut the dough into strips with a dough scrapper. Heat olive oil in a frying pan. You only need a 1/4 inch of oil. Once hot, fry the dough, turning once it becomes lightly brown. Get all the sides.

As soon as it comes out, put it into a collander or strainer or something and sprinkle with a LOT of regular table sugar.

Jeff

Offline buzz

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 03:09:46 PM »
Buy some flour tortillas, brush them with a little olive oil, fill with sauce, cheese, toppings. Either fold one in half or fit a second one on top of the first. Then cook in frying pan on medium heat (no additional oil for the pan is necessary--the tortillas are already impregnated with oil)--they will toast up very quickly.

This might also work with just one tortilla cooked like a pizza in the oven.

Or you could try a slightly wetter dough (to compensate for the direct heat of the stove), cook it in a pan on the stove (without oil) on one side, then add toppings to the cooked side, and put it back in the pan, raw side down.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 03:54:33 PM »
You can also make tiny pizzas with your dough, then fold them over into mini-calzones and then fry them, as above. Use less sauce because it will all turn to steam and water log the inside.

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 04:52:31 PM »
Thanks...excellent ideas here which will hold me over until Sept 2.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 05:16:38 PM »
Is your George Foreman grill like a panini press? Similar to some of the suggestions above, I folded the topped pies in half, brushed with olive oil, and grilled them at the highest temp on a panini press. I guess this has a lot to do with the composition of your dough, but they came out very good.

Bill/SFNM

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 11:14:41 PM »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 02:29:35 PM »
roll the dough thin and cook on stove top in cast iron pan or flat cast iron griddle, flip
cook some more, add sauce and cheese and then under the broiler to heat sauce and melt cheese.

it may take a few times to get it right, but it's not too bad.