Author Topic: Essentials around an outdoor oven  (Read 1656 times)

Offline dbegler

• I Love Pizza!
Essentials around an outdoor oven
« on: August 20, 2006, 03:05:23 PM »
Hi,
  We are planning to install and Earthstone oven our backyard.  Aside from the oven, are there any must-haves (work counters, storage ideas and other considerations critical to the pizza-making & baking process) that I should be thinking about?

Basically, I don't want to build the oven and then go "D'oh! I should have thought to include room for  a ______ near it." 

So any 'workflow' tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

David
(favorite slice:  Joe's, Carmine St., NYC)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Essentials around an outdoor oven
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 05:22:35 PM »
I have a fairly large prep area at deck level behind my oven (the prep area is behind me when I'm facing the oven opening). I shape the dough and top there rather than do it in the kitchen and bring the loaded pie outside. This surface is perfect for this and unloading, cutting, and plating the baked pie. I can't imagine operating out there without this prep area. 

The enclosed area beneath the oven is reserved for wood storage. It can get warm in there and that helps season the wood.

You should also consider safety issues such as protecting the opening of the oven from wind that could cause embers to be flushed out; also make sure you don't create a haven for disease-carrying rodents.

Which model are you getting?

Bill/SFNM

Offline dbegler

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Essentials around an outdoor oven
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 06:25:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Bill.  I'm planning on the Model 90 modular oven.

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Firewood.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 10:16:36 AM »
Think: Firewood.

A DRY place to store it.   A place to split it.   I made the major error of not building a void in my base to store firewood.  BIG Faux pas.

Buy a splitting maul or an axe and designate a wood chopping area.

Splitting wood is one of the little fun benefits of owning a wood oven.

Also: some kind of shelter to allow you to make pizza in bad weather.

- Fio, confined to the indoor oven and unable to burn his nicely-split oak because the remnants of tropical storm Ernesto are drenching the DC area.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

pizzapan