Author Topic: Mozzarella di Bufala Lactose-Free?  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Mozzarella di Bufala Lactose-Free?
« on: August 31, 2006, 08:42:16 PM »
I can't seem to find a straight answer after searching online.

Does anyone know if Buffalo Mozz is lactose free?  The Bubalis website says it is with a weird explanation that all fresh mozz has little to no lactose.
This is the link to their explanation http://www.mozzarelladibufala.net/lactose.htm

I'm lactose intolerant, and let me tell you from experience that I have never had any type of mozzarella that didn't give me problems.  Except, or course, soy mozzarella.  Leave it to a weirdo like myself to be addicted to a type of food that makes me feel sick.

Anyway, if it is lactose free, that would be some amazing cheese.  It supposedly has less cholesterol than cow's milk mozz too.

Offline petesopizza

• In search of the perfect dough.
Re: Mozzarella di Bufala Lactose-Free?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 09:09:14 PM »
Our mozzarella di bufala is produced though the natural fermentation process which by its nature reduces and even eliminates the lactose. It looks like thay say it is. Isn't there a suppliment they sell that aids in the digestion for lactose intolerant people? "For those who react to very small amounts of lactose or have trouble limiting their intake of foods that contain it, the lactase enzyme is available without a prescription to help people digest foods that contain lactose. The tablets are taken with the first bite of dairy food. Lactase enzyme is also available as a liquid. Adding a few drops of the enzyme makes lactose more digestible for people with lactose intolerance."

Someday I will make money from this obsession.

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Mozzarella di Bufala Lactose-Free?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 09:32:59 PM »
Our mozzarella di bufala is produced though the natural fermentation process which by its nature reduces and even eliminates the lactose. It looks like thay say it is. Isn't there a suppliment they sell that aids in the digestion for lactose intolerant people? "For those who react to very small amounts of lactose or have trouble limiting their intake of foods that contain it, the lactase enzyme is available without a prescription to help people digest foods that contain lactose. The tablets are taken with the first bite of dairy food. Lactase enzyme is also available as a liquid. Adding a few drops of the enzyme makes lactose more digestible for people with lactose intolerance."

Yes, pete.  I take a daily suppliment, plus 3 lactaid pills right before I eat.  It usually works, but not always.  It would be much more convenient and a lot more liberating if the buffalo mozz was lactose free.

pizzapan