Author Topic: SIR GALAHAD FLOUR  (Read 9434 times)

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: SIR GALAHAD FLOUR
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 09:00:56 PM »
Well, I ran out of my sir galahad flour a while back, and decided to see what I could do with some other flours for a while.  tried a bunch of bread flours and even all purpose, but just couldn't seem to get back to to the results i had been getting with sir galahad.  everything just seemed tough and NY like with the exception of KA-AP which I am pretty sure is very similar to galahad, has the same protein at least.  So i was driving to Norwich VT for work this week and saw a sign for the KA bakers store.  apparently they keep the commercial flour outback, but luckily had it. 16 bucks for 50 pounds. I know this thread is old, but just had to show ya the first pie back to galahad.  I used 10% Carl's Oregon trail starter and a touch of non diastatic barley malt powder to enhance browning and 1% evoo to help keep it soft inside.  It was 60% hydration fermented under refrigeration for 36 hours.  baked on a 650 degree stone for 5 mins finished under the broiler. mixed it in my Bosch mixer for 10 minutes all room temp, really simple. The wife wanted a three cheese pizza so no fresh mozz here.  you can buy this flour repacked from this site, give them a call. http://www.allthingsmadebyhand.com/  try some out, there's something really different and great about it.  I can post my recipe if anyone wants it too.  one of the best if not the best pizzas I've made or had in new hampshire.  for reference it was a 300g dough ball, and about 13 inches.   
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 04:28:15 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 08:29:45 AM »
I qualified my earlier post because I saw the European-Style Artisan Bread flour in the KA catalogue and noted its similarity to the Sir Galahad flour. In an effort to put the matter to rest, I called KA and spoke with a customer service rep. I had a hard time getting an answer out of her (she wasn't familiar with the Sir Galahad name) but after going offline to check with a colleague, she returned to tell me that the European-Style Artisan Bread flour is the same as the Sir Galahad but sold in small bags. Apparently the Sir Galahad name is retained for the large 50-lb. bags, although she didn't know if the name actually appears on the bag itself.

Peter

Pete:  In a later post, you indicated the Sir Galahad is the same as the All-Purpose.  Do you know for sure which it is?  If it is the AP, do you know of a professional (larger bag) equivalent for the Euopean-Style?

Thanks!

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 09:14:54 AM »
Guy,  I know for SURE that the sir galahad is the all purpose.  So if the eurpoean style is also all purpose,  it would be sir galahad.  does that make sense.  -marc

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 09:53:49 AM »
Guy,

I believe you may be referring to this post in which I discussed the brands used by King Arthur to sell its all-purpose and bread flours to professionals: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4646.msg39204.html#msg39204. The King Arthur document that uses the Sir Gallahad name, and the Special name as well, is http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/Nutritional-Analysis.pdf. I got that document from the Professionals section of the King Arthur website so I have to believe that it is the still the governing document. What you might want to do is check out the professional flours at the King Arthur website at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/products.html. I did that myself this morning and did not see a counterpart to the KA European style flour as described at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/king-arthur-european-style-artisan-bread-flour-3-lb that comprises a blend of spring and winter wheat, a bit of white whole wheat flour and ascorbic acid.

If you don't find what you are looking for, I would call Tod Bramble at King Arthur at 1-800-KAFLOUR, ext. 290.

Peter

Offline garyd

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 04:13:31 AM »
Here in Denver there is a VPN certified Pizzeria called Marco's Coal Fired Pizza (They actually use wood fired ovens). They are trying to make as close to authentic neapolitan pizza as they can. They have 2 wood ovens that were made in Naples and they cook at 1000 degrees. Their Pizza's (I've timed them) cook in 60 seconds! The crust is how pizza in naples was described earlier in this thread. It is "very soft, moist, and melts in your mouth." This isn't my favorite pizza in Denver but I think they are close to real pizza in Naples as far as their crust goes.

Offline rsimon719

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 01:05:53 PM »
Guy,  I know for SURE that the sir galahad is the all purpose.  So if the eurpoean style is also all purpose,  it would be sir galahad.  does that make sense.  -marc

I am able to get 50# bags of Sir Galahad here for about $17/bag (DFW area). On the front of the bag, it has the King Arthur Logo and say's Sir Galahad Flour. It also says that it is for Artisan baking (not sure how they state it since I have tossed the bag). It doesn't say All Purpose anywhere on it, but I use it as my all purpose flour.

I have also tried their labeled European style flour and it seems to be the same as far as the results I get. The Sir Galahad is enriched so it works very well for breads. I have yet to try it for pizza though.. Guess I should since I feed it to my starter.  :chef:
- Rich