Author Topic: Looking for the best starter  (Read 1881 times)

Offline PizzaBrasil

• I Love Pizza!
Looking for the best starter
« on: August 24, 2006, 12:52:15 PM »
Since the first time that I finished my brick oven and discovered this site (long time ago), I had baked a lot of different pizza dough types. Beginning with Varasano´s Patsy (from think2020) and passing thru DKM, Canadave´s and TL Petezza NY style. Since yeast cake to IDY and definitively, preferment. Each one of this ways were a step forward in pizza dough learning. And a real (thank you, guys) great improvement in pizza taste.
Nowadays I am truly happy with the pre fermented TLNY dough style. And so my invitees (at least, when asked for, the vast majority had answered for this one as the better within the others).
However, happy do not mean fully, and, since I could not to stop from reading the threads in this (the most directed and complete) site, I am thinking to change the Carl´s preferment that I am using and going to a Camaldoli (too much commented here) one.
Searching on internet, I saw that there are a direct site that offer this starter (www.fermentedtreasures.com ).
Since the wide reference in sourdough starter is www.sourdo.com I had searched the starter in it and only saw a reference like ‘Italian culture (includes two)’
When searching, a lot of people proclaims Bahrain as being the better starter, too.
Could anyone of you inform me which and where is the best deal?
Thank you in advance.

Luis

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: Looking for the best starter
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 03:13:49 PM »
Both the Ischia and Camaldoli were sent by myself to Ed Wood at sourdough International in a "fresh dough" consistency. Any other people selling thses two on the net is being somehow fraudolent and anyway is selling a culture reactivated from Sourdough International dry starter without any guarantee of the process and safeguard of the original microflora.

Regards

Marco

Offline PizzaBrasil

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Looking for the best starter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 01:50:54 PM »
Marco:

Thanks by your answer.
I understand that the best and trustful source to obtain the different cultures is the www.sourdo.com and I will bought the ‘Italian culture (contain two)’ from there.
By your answer, I believe that these two Italian cultures will be the Ischia and the Camaldoli ones. Is this correct?
From another threads in this site, the Camaldoli will be the one that I will use to enhance the pizza flavour. Could you confirm this?
I had a healthy Carl´s culture that is the one that I am wide using at this moment to make breads and pizzas (TLNY and VPN style).
I am wondering which could be the best use to the Carl´s and the Ischia cultures if and when I will change to the Camaldoli?
Thanks again

Luis