Author Topic: Ricotta Salata  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Ricotta Salata
« on: August 25, 2006, 05:21:54 PM »
I finally found a local source of decent ricotta salata from Italy. A little market with a very good cheese selection had some imported from Italy that tasted great on a pie mixed with some other cheeses. It had no brand name on it and was clearly cut from a large piece and just wrapped in cellophane. It was firm and held up to the heat. Previously I tried some domestic ricotta and it just made a big mess.

Bill/SFNM

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Ricotta Salata
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 05:32:18 PM »
ricotta salata is my favorite salad cheese.  I have had a little trouble with it burning on pizzas because it is so dry, but I have found that burrying it under the other toppings or even under the sauce lets it work without a problem.

Bill it sounds like your salata was not as dry as what I get here in boston,  is that the case?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Ricotta Salata
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 05:44:45 PM »

Bill it sounds like your salata was not as dry as what I get here in boston,  is that the case?

Scott,

It was on the dry/crumbly side, but itwas grated and mixed in with mozzarella and fontina so I think that kept it from burning. I'll try some in a salad tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.

Bill/SFNM
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 05:46:58 PM by Bill/SFNM »

pizzapan