Author Topic: Chocolate raspberry pizza  (Read 4599 times)

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
Chocolate raspberry pizza
« on: June 14, 2006, 02:11:13 PM »
Ok, this really has absolutely NOTHING to do with pizza other than the general look and shape.  We're making pizza for our annual Father's Day get together, and I'm bringing dessert.  So this is what I made.

It's basic toll house cookie batter baked in a pizza pan.  Raspberry dessert topping is spread on it.  I shredded some white chocolate to simulate cheese (could have used a lot more).  I got some chocolate coins (had to take them out of the gold foil) to simulate pepperoni, but they're kind of thick and the imprinted emblem is awfully clear.

I thought that using a hair dryer would melt the white chocolate "cheese" and the chocolate coins a little, but the coins didn't budge, and the white chocolate just seemed to blend in with the raspberry.

Oh well.  I'm sure it'll be tasty.
--pat--

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Re: Chocolate raspberry pizza
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 04:10:55 PM »
Looks better than most amature cake decorators.

The coins were a good idea, and so was the hair drier.

The drier should have been able to soften the coins, it's possible that you may not have noticed or didn't apply the heat long enough. When tempered chocolate gets heated it will hold it's shape for quite some time, even though it is melted through. But the surface would be marred from trying to smooth out the emblem. They would have to be dried or chilled on a smooth non-stick surface (wax paper or parchment).

You can place it in a very LOW oven if you wanted to melt both white and milk chocolates. Just jiggle the pizza a bit when you remove it. The "pepperoni's" will spread out a bit, and will be thinner and stay a bit softer.

In the cake-decorating world, we use fruit leather (roll-up) for everything thing from pepperoni rounds to diced green peppers. Gumpdrops can be rolled out and shaped but they don't have the same visual appeal.

I'm trying to attach a pic I snagged off the web, of how the fruit leather pepperoni's look.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline enchant

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 05:40:43 PM »
I think that the problem with the coins was that I couldn't find them at any normal store like a supermarket, and I had to buy them at a high-end chocolatier for $12.95/lb !!!  They were quite thick - probably thicker than 1/8".  I'll try to find some nice cheap ones somewhere for my next attempt.
--pat--

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 06:39:53 PM »
$ 12.95  :o ouch!

??? the higher end chocolate should have melted easier...weird.

oooooBOY,  they'll have a nice mouth feel and taste wonderful. It's going to be good.  :P

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline enchant

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 08:55:27 PM »
I like your method with the fruit roll-ups to make the pepperoni.  It would have looked a lot more realistic.
--pat--