Author Topic: Naples trip report  (Read 5253 times)

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: Naples trip report
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 07:56:32 PM »
Did you have to specify that the pizza be made according to DOC, per Reinhart's book?  As in, they have DOC pizzas and pizzas for tourists?

It is not about DOC (improperly used anyway-Should be STG) or Tourist.
In Naples most make Margherita with the high quality Fior Di Latte  d'Agerola, so to make the DOC pizza they have to use Mozzarella di Bufala. Most Pizzeria have two separate entries for Margherita and Margherita DOC.

Ciao

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2007, 04:00:45 AM »
Did you have to specify that the pizza be made according to DOC, per Reinhart's book?  As in, they have DOC pizzas and pizzas for tourists?

Pizza Napoletana is right, there was no mention of DOC (or STG) anywhere and menus were an afterthought.  The only thing I tried to do was specify Bufala.

Oftentimes even with my request, they just smiled, nodded, and used what to my taste was a high quality Mozzarella - likely Fior Di Latte.  Everyone seemed to be getting that in any case so in a sense it was the most authentic selection.

Personally I prefer the distinctive flavor and texture (more lactic, more runny) of Bufala so that's what I use on my pizzas at home.  Cost is likely an issue too.  A number of these places heap on the cheese so they would go broke if it were Bufala.

The Da Michelle pizza is the best of them all, the cheapest of them all, had the least cheese of them all (mercifully), and it looked and tasted darn like Bufala to me.  They did have a 50 euro cent higher double cheese option which I saw people ordering.

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2007, 06:31:01 AM »
Da Michele USES 100% Fior di Latte d'Agerola made with the milk of the Agerolese Breed of Cow (no Bufale).

In Fact I know the producer who is one of the top one. If I had to meet one of you in Naples in the near future I will make sure to let you taste this special fior di latte raw, to appreciate the difference.

Fior Di latte in Naples is 100% better then anything available in North Italy (industrilal products) and for export.

Ciao

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 11:29:26 AM »
Da Michele USES 100% Fior di Latte d'Agerola made with the milk of the Agerolese Breed of Cow (no Bufale).

In Fact I know the producer who is one of the top one. If I had to meet one of you in Naples in the near future I will make sure to let you taste this special fior di latte raw, to appreciate the difference.

Fooled me.  The Da Michelle cheese tasted excellent - better than elsewhere.  Very soft and creamy.

Thanks for the offer to taste, would be a real privilege to do that if we are both ever in Naples at the same time.

P.S.  Had pizza in Milan today.  No comparison to Pizza Napoletana.

pizzapan