Author Topic: Roman style white pizza  (Read 1579 times)

Offline ebpizza

Roman style white pizza
« on: August 29, 2006, 09:34:10 AM »

Sara Manuelli's "Cucina Romana" cookbook has a recipe for Roman style white pizza that calls for Italian white flour (type 0.020.0).

Never heard of it and is it available in the US?

btw, I highly recommend the book if you interested in Roman cooking.

Offline musiq

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Roman style white pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 10:44:46 AM »
I know the book, and when i saw she adviced for that kind of flour, I wondered what the hell it was! I did some research, out of curiosity, but with no results. The only one who could probably help us is marco-pizzanapoletana. If it exist, he knows something about it.

Talking about the recipe, it's probably not the original of antico forno as she says, but a simplified home version. Typical roman white pizza usually involves a tecnique called "rigenero". Once the dough is ready , it's left resting in the machine and every 20-25 minutes you work it a little bit (couple of mixer turns) to make it more manageable. I think it's something similar to the "stretch and fold" tecnique used in bread making, and i experimented a little with it, as you can see in the focaccia section.

Also, usually white roman pizza is made with a mixture of flours,generally strong, including "manitoba", used in italy to cut normal 00s and strenghten them.

I personally tried that recipe with bread flour, and the results were good, thanks to the high hydration I guess.

Offline REMOISE

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 03:57:28 AM »
Yes I use manitoba flour,I live in europe and so I easily have access to all types of flour,I actually prefer manitoba flour to caputo.the flavour and structure is better and I  Have no problem hand stretching the dough it is very elastic and yet stays really soft even a few hours on counter rise I never had it collapse.I do a 57 percent hydration sometimes even more.An italian housewife introduce me to manitoba flour.she explained that this is what they use to make pizza at home.Everytime I am in italy I buy about 10 bags of it.I first came accross manitoba flour in the pizza book called"Any way you slice it" By Charles Scicolone.Basically manitoba flour is a mixture of soft italian flour with hard american flour which is higher in in gluten ,gives the dough the ammount of chewiness.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 10:06:55 AM »
nice looking pizza, care to share the recipe?

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 03:11:55 PM »
amazingly puffy edges.

Offline REMOISE

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 10:31:21 AM »
Yes I too was amazed how puffy the edges get with this manitoba flour.I got the recipe from the back of the bag that said

4 cups of manitoba flour
1 3/4 cup water
2 Teaspoon yeast (instant)
2 teaspoon salt (sea salt)

mix together and knead for 5 minutes and let it rest about 20 minutes and finish it of another 3minutes;let it bulk rise in the counter until it doubles and devide it into 4 OR 3 Balls and make sure they are formed tightly and wrap with saran very well.remove from frigde 2 hour before using and hand stretch to desired size.top with your favorite topping and bake for 6 minutes at high heat.piture of the flour it even is called magiche! sure is behind it say in italian that it is very elastic.I have never had any tearing nor collapse dough ever yet.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 10:46:31 AM by REMOISE »