Author Topic: is this question that crazy?  (Read 1257 times)

Offline artigiano

is this question that crazy?
« on: August 28, 2006, 04:52:45 PM »
I have a simple question that I am curious about.  My brick oven at home serves me well and I usually take care of it well, but there has been times where I havent managed the fire well in the heat up stage.  This cause smoke and burning wood odor, usually from wood not getting enough oxygen or I was busy running around and was unable to keep an eye on it or even too much fire can cause some smoke coming from my chimney.  How does a restaurant deal with this situation?  I am sure the neighbours wouldnt be happy if this happened in a busy part of town.  I am just curios if there are afterburners or some kind of filters in place.  This can happen to me when I am building the heat up and usually never a problem once I am getting over 700 and up to 850

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Have you tried using a draft door?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 09:38:08 AM »
I have found a draft door to be critical in maintaining a well-burning fire.  Use it during the fire-up stage to keep a steady stream of fast air moving in and smoke from flowing out.  Between pizzas, or after adding wood, put it on for additional "turbocharging" of the airflow.   It also helps to keep heat in the oven.

A draft door is a door that stands on stilts about 2-3" above the floor of the oven. It can also be made with a crescent-shaped opening in the bottom. It channels a rapid stream of air to the fire in the chamber.  I don't know to what extent it may cool off the floor, but it does channel the smoke away from the top of the arch and up the vent.

Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

pizzapan