Author Topic: Bettola- Birmingham-Alabama  (Read 6267 times)

Offline alabamapizza

• I Love Pizza!

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Bettola- Birmingham-Alabama
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 01:57:50 PM »
From the pictures it looks like the pizzeria that Marco was just involved with.  I am pretty sure that is his oven in one of the pictures.  Marco also set them up with a mixer (I believe a fork mixer) and helped get them started.  So I believe it goes without saying that they are going to serve as authentic a pizza as possible. 

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 04:29:56 AM »
Yes, in fact I was involved in it since the concept phase...

I have worked as a consultant and trained the owner as well as looking after the oven selection (Forno Napoletano) and the mixer (the best fork mixer on the market)as well as identifying the name (means a "rustic taverna-trattoria", which was often a synonymous in Naples for Pizzeria 2 centuries ago). We did concentrate on authentic dough production and sourcing the best possible ingredients (including vegetables and authentic seeds as well as one of the best Mozzarella di Bufala on the US market) and although I was not involved in the menu design, there are few items on it (including a couple of salads) designed by myself. I have also covered the preparation of the "pizza sandwich" as well as bread baking.

I have not seen the final products produced on the actual site with the current setting, but I did overview the owner doing a fine job in  a less then perfect setting so I can only assume that he is doing a better job.

He has the right passion and desire to do a great job.

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 04:59:25 PM »
Anyway, I don't know if it was only me but it took me a while to see the pictures that were mentioned in the link above...

Here is a nice pictures from there of their oven

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 06:32:08 PM »
That is a truly beautiful oven - a work of art!

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 09:19:33 AM »
Another positive review for Pizza Napoletana:

http://www.birminghamweekly.com/archived/pages/20061026_food.php

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 08:28:52 AM »
There's another new place in Birmingham called Twenty Six (it could be 26 too) , I believe they have another restaurant called Ocean. I do not think it's a pizzeria, but they do have wood oven pizza.  Maybe a place to check out.
-JP-

Offline cdodson

• Mmmmmm...pizza.
    • Wild Flours Bread Company
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 06:21:43 PM »
Enjoyed my first Neapolitan pizza there last Saturday.  Had the Margherita and Filleto.  Chatted with the owners a bit about their oven.  Great pizza and friendly staff.
Carey

The power of cheese

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 01:36:16 PM »
Does anyone know if this place is closed for the holidays?  There is no answer on their phone (205-731-6499).  I will be cruising down I-20 tomorrow and thought I would stop for a pizza.

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 01:24:22 PM »
Short review:  definitely order the margarita DOC and you will not be dissappointed.  A quality pizza!

Well, this place was closed all week, but we drove by last night on the chance they would be open.  We are arrived 5 minutes after it reopened from the holiday closing.  We sat across from the oven in a somewhat small sized restaurant.  I would guess 12-15 tables in one row opposite the bar/counter.

We ordered the Margarita DOC right away.  I proceeded to speak with the owner, James.  He was very friendly and after I told him I was from pizzamaking.com, he informed me that the pizza should not be judge as his typical pizza because the oven was not up to temp.  (He returned to town soon before opening and the staff was supposed to start heating the oven the day before).  One thing he explained about the oven, that I don't think Marco has mentioned on this site is the thickness of the base (about 14" of solid mass).  The base required a long preheat time and it just did not happen due to the holiday closing.  He told me I should have called before coming (which I did), he even offered his cell number to be sure everything was correct for my next visit.

The Pizza
The Margarita cooked in about 2 minutes.  The pie looked beautiful (see below) and was soft and somewhat floppy.  I think it could have had a little more structure, but I have never been to Naples to have the real thing. The pizza was quite tasty.  The first thing that I noticed was more salt than I use in my pizzas(2.4%).   The sauce was excellent.  The tomatoes and the bufala cheese were both top quality.  It really made the pizza.  I really did miss the sourdough taste in the crust (only commercial yeast is used).   Taking into consideration that the oven was not up to proper temp, the pizza was very good.

Next, we ordered a sausage and roasted pepper (no picture).
This pie was somewhat of a disappointment after the DOC margarita.  The sauce just did not come close to the first pizza.  The cheese was also somewhat bland.  The crust was better on this one.

James made us a white pizza to go, on the house.  I thought that was quite generous.  I ate this pizza cold, 2.5 hours later upon arriving home to Atlanta.  It was really good, the bufala ricotta really made this pizza.  But, what isn't good at 11 pm after a long card ride.  I imagine that it would be really good when hot.

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 05:00:45 PM »
A new picture from a magazine review:

Offline shango

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 05:21:29 PM »
 ??? I bet that pizza is burned on the bottom.  Look how it is resting on that hot peel.....
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 05:51:13 PM »
??? I bet that pizza is burned on the bottom.  Look how it is resting on that hot peel.....

It is actually bending at the edge like it should.

You now really make me wonder what are you parameters.

That is the perfect "Maculation"..... but doesn't look dry.

PS an hint for you: If it was burnt at the bottom, the first thing that would burn is under the cornicione, and as you can clearly see on the front of the pizza, this is not the case.

Offline shango

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 05:55:26 PM »
not burnt from the floor of the oven, burnt from resting on the hot peel. Just where the peel is, a burnt circle exactly the same size, shape and place as that peel...It was a snotty comment as I am sure that the pizza is being held in that pose specifically for the photographer. 

It actually looks pretty good...
 :angel:
-E
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline cdodson

• Mmmmmm...pizza.
    • Wild Flours Bread Company
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 05:19:07 PM »
My wife and I ate at Bettola for our honeymoon meal the evening of our wedding day.  Couldn't have asked for a better place.  I sent a card and candle ahead and the owner graciously allowed me to make a reservation in spite of their no reservation policy.

The pizza was the best I've had.  I can't imagine Pizzeria Bianco being much better but I'd have to defer to someone who has had both.  There is a local review at http://www.bhamdining.com/bettola/

I have to agree with tonymark's comment regarding the margarita DOC.  The sauce puts it over the top. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 05:20:50 PM by cdodson »
Carey

The power of cheese