Author Topic: Mozzarella di Bufala survey  (Read 4910 times)

Offline ebpizza

Mozzarella di Bufala survey
« on: August 31, 2006, 11:04:14 AM »
What brand of Mozzarella di Bufala (US or imported) do people prefer?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Mozzarella di Bufala survey
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 11:40:26 AM »
ABC

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 01:57:49 PM »
I have counted at least 6 brands, maybe more, that are here around Boston.  I know ABC and Mandra and one that starts with a C (sorry to be so vague) are all good, but there are a few others as well that taste the same to me as those three.  I will try to get you a list of all the good ones, but it may take a while.  You might want to do a search on this subject on the forum, as I provided a link at one time to a rosengarden shootout.  I didn't agree with his findings, but it is an interesting read.  He had a favorite, but my take is that 5 or so of these brands taste exactly the same.  I have only found one brand that tasted different, and the problem was that it did not melt right, and was too hard.  I often wonder if some of these brands are the same cheese, but just re branded (like we tend to do here in the US).

So far the American versions are all pretty bad as far as I have tasted.

My conclusion about the Italian brands is that you have a five out of 6 chance of getting really good cheese.  Unfortunately on the retail level you have about a 2 out of 6 chance of getting it fresh enough to perform well on pizza.

Now, I could be wrong about all this because Marco has just posted that there is a preferred brand that he recommends to his employers, also Jeff Rosengarden had a favorite, but I was doing side by side comparisons on these cheeses when I first discovered the magic of Buffala.

Offline elicheez

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 11:55:17 PM »
what stores around Boston have buffalo moz? my dough is finally worthy of some finer toppings

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 07:09:36 AM »
I  believe both the Salumeria and Sessa's get it delivered weekly from Italy.
Call to see what days the shipments arrive and purchase it as soon as it arrives.

Salumeria Italiania
151 Richmond Street
North End - Boston
http://www.salumeriaitaliana.com/

Sessa's
414 Highland Ave
Somerville, MA
reviews: http://www.yelp.com/biz/0acuBFoodGg7pRZAC0i3XA

Whole Foods
Boston, Cambridge, etc...

Costco
Yes Costco, they now sell the authentic imported Mozz di Bufala from Campagnia.

The ones available from Whole Foods and Costco are not as good as the others, I'm guessing cause the product probably is on the shelves longer in those stores.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 07:13:44 AM by ebpizza »

Offline elicheez

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 08:01:10 AM »
great, thanks. I didn't see it at the Whole Foods I tried, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. I've been meaning to check out The Cheese Shop in Wellesley, too.

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 08:01:12 AM »
... Marco has just posted that there is a preferred brand that he recommends to his employers, also Jeff Rosengarden had a favorite, but I was doing side by side comparisons on these cheeses when I first discovered the magic of Buffala.

The manufacturer I reccomand his delivered only to restaurant. His flown in every Wednesday/thursday...

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 12:45:13 PM »
Ebpizza, that's good to know about costco.  They also sell regular poly-o mozzarella I think????  It might be time for me to join. 

Here is a list of all the places around Boston where I have found good quality buffalo mozzarella at the retail level.  Some places tend to have it really fresh more often than others, and Sumaleria seems to be the best for that, it is also the cheapest.  If you go there make sure you pick up one of their packs of Italian oregano, some san marzano's, and some good olive oil.

Salumeria Italianna
Whole Foods
Trader Joes
Russo's (north end)
Capone foods (sommerville)
Salem foods (waltham)
Sessas (sommerville)
Formaggio Kitchen (Cambridge)
Formaggio Kitchen (South End)

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 02:57:55 PM »
Salumeria Italianna has a great selection, but their San Marzano tomatoes are a bit pricey.
You can get the same brands at a lower cost at other locations around Boston.

I prefer LaRegina San Marzano D.O.P. I can get them for about $2.60 / 28 oz can at Farmland in Wakefield.

Other places to get lower prices tomatoes:

New Deal Fruit (Revere - located where broadway and 107 intersect)
New Deal has some great Italian loafs of bread from a bakery in Lynn, I forget the name.

Papa's Bakery (East Boston, a few buildings down from Santarpio's)

Offline elicheez

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 08:42:58 PM »
great, thanks for the suggestions. Costco is definitely a personal favorite! I tried Trader Joes but didn't see any buffalo. I'm back from an inspirational trip to NY so it's time to step up my recipe.

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 08:09:59 PM »
I picked up a brand called Campania from Whole Foods (in California).  It was ok--nothing great.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 07:25:56 AM »
The Costco in waterbury, ct did not have the buffalo mozzerella.  They did have 3lb buckets of PollyO fresh and 2lb blocks of PollyO wholemilk.

This one also did not have the all trumps flour.  The only flour they had was one that I think was packed for costco and 25 lb. King Arthur all purpose.  The King Arthur wasn't that great a price better than the grocery store but probably pretty close to what 50 lbs would cost at Napoli Foods (restaurant supplier). 

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 11:13:08 AM »
I just tried a brand called Francia.  I found it at the Italian Market at one of the cheese shops.  The container said it was made and imported from the Campania region in Italy.  The water/whey it was in was very clear.  When I opened it I didn't notice any smell; it had a mild flavor with just a bit of tang to it.  It seemed to be very fresh and tasted pretty good on the pizza, but I wasn't all too impressed.  It melted great, although I drained it on paper towels for over an hour and used like half a roll.

I saw a few other Buffalo mozz brands to choose from and will give them a try.  One was called Sopi, I think.

Here's a pick of the cheese:

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 11:19:36 AM by Boy Hits Car »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 11:56:20 AM »
Mike,

Where I buy my bufala di mozzarella in Dallas, I pretty much have to buy whatever they are selling at the time, which I have discovered varies quite widely from a brands standpoint. The last bufala I bought was the Francia brand, which I used in making the latest DiFara pizza clones. I thought it was quite nice. But since beggars can't be choosers, I can only buy whatever is offered.

Peter

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 03:10:44 PM »
I've been using Bubalus Bubalis made in California with good success.  I've also tried a brand from Trader Joe's but I don't recall the producer.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 01:08:34 AM »
I can tell by how it looks on the pizza that the cheese pictured above is not of the quality being used at De Fara's and UPN etc.  You might want to try the other brands, and make sure you salt the stuff!  It is really really important to properly oil and salt this cheese, and easy to misjudge the quality of flavor if the balance is off.

Offline elicheez

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 08:02:34 AM »
do you also oil and salt fresh cow mozz if/when you use it? sorry, that's me going off-topic twice already

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 12:41:20 PM »
absolutely.  Fresh mozzarella and buffalo mozzarella are unsalted, or have very minimal amounts.  Normal dry mozzarella that most pizzerias use come heavily salted from the factory.  If you don't salt your buffalo mozzarella or fresh cheese it will taste totally bland.  You will also notice that when you melt normal dry mozzarella the pies get greasy, and with fresh or buffala there is no grease released.  You have to oil fresh cheese to get the right flavor.

Most authentic pizzerias apply salt to the whole pie, but I prefer to distribute it differently since my sauce is usually seasoned enough.   I take my sliced and dried buffala or fresh mozzarella and put it in a Tupperware container with a splash of olive oil.  I then add a decent amount of salt and shake the cheese around to evenly distribute the salt.  I then use some additional oil on top of the pizza before it goes in the oven.  I have found that this makes a tastier pie than if I salt the whole pizza.

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 06:45:57 PM »
Scott,

Thanks for the advice on the fresh cheese.  I have been adding sea salt directly onto the fresh mozz and did the same for the Buffalo mozz, but didn't add oil in the manner you suggested.  Will try this with my next pizza.

Mike

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 08:06:29 PM »
Mozzarella di Bufala needs to mature in salted brine (is not unsalted ...). More time it spend in the brine, more salted it become. Freshly made mozzarella ball are almost tasteless due to the absence of salt.

A cheesemaker in the Mondragone area of Caserta, still remembers me when as a 4-5 years old child I would eat freshly made mozzarella (just formed) with my hands and all milk running down my face... when he meet my family each time they stop by to buy it, he still ask about me....