Author Topic: Best deal I have found For Canned Pizza Sauce  (Read 3568 times)

Offline Y-TOWN

Best deal I have found For Canned Pizza Sauce
« on: August 31, 2006, 07:12:51 PM »
 ** NOTE: ALL ORIGINAL CASES ARE INSPECTED FOR DAMAGE BEFORE WE REPACK THEM IN AN ADDITIONAL SHIPPING CARTON. DUE TO HANDLING BY SHIPPER, CONTENTS MAY BE DAMAGED DURING TRANSPORT. WE CANNOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS DAMAGE. IF YOUR ORDER ARRIVED WITH DAMAGE THAT IN YOUR OPINION WARRANTS REPLACEMENT, YOU MUST CONTACT THE SHIPPER FOR RECOVERY.**

** DELIVERED PRICING, FOR ALL AREAS WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI, WE SHALL ADD $ 7.50 PER CASE.
FOR FLORIDA RESIDENTS WE SHALL ADD $1.00 PER CASE. NO SHIPMENTS TO HAWAII OR ALASKA.**

IF YOU ARE EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI - NO SHIPPING CHARGES !!!   

ID Product Description Unit Price 
3407 24/15oz. Don Pepino Fully Prepared Pizza Sauce **Your Price: $23.50

12/28oz. Don Pepino Spaghetti Sauce **Your Price: $19.50 

2509 12/28oz. Sclafani Crushed Tomatoes **Your Price: $17.00 

2512 12/28oz. Sclafani Spaghetti Sauce **Your Price: $19.00 

2517 12/28oz. Sclafani Puree **Your Price: $17.00 

2516 12/28oz. Sclafani Whole Peeled Tomatoes **Your Price: $19.00 

Gift 6/28oz. Assorted Sample Gift Pack **Your Price: $10.25 

Manufacturers of Don Pepino, Sclafani and Violet Brand Products

http://www.donpepino.com/cart/default.asp

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Not a bad deal
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 10:05:29 AM »
I'm not a big fan of Don Pepino pizza sauce.  It's too. . . .prepared for my tastes.

The Sclafani crushed tomatoes, on the other hand, are REALLY good.  IMHO, they are in the same league as 6-in-1.  I don't think they add citric acid, which makes them much sweeter and very delicious.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Best deal I have found For Canned Pizza Sauce
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 10:22:42 AM »
i've never tried it... does it taste like 'full red' tomato magic prepared thick pizza sauce?

did they always have 'free ship' or is this new?

oh well, ordered 24 cans.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 10:56:00 AM by abc »

Offline vmandi

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 11:26:08 AM »
I've had good results mixing equal parts of Don Pepino and Sclafani Crushed Tomatoes. I doctor-up the mixture with fresh basil and dried oregano. I also add a small amount of water so as not to have a heavy sauce. The Don Pepino sauce by itself results in an orange colored grease that lays on top of the pizza.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 11:29:48 AM »
interesting about the mixing idea... so i ordered the Don P's 15oz.  got an email that they'll ship ASAP...  is this 'prepared pizza sauce' a thick sauce that has more mileage than its 15oz?

what i'm thinking to do is use this for ny style pizzas, but use crushed tomatoes for fresh mozz. pizzas.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 11:20:21 AM »
i got the box of cans this week, and cracked one open to taste the zest...  it's quite zesty.... w/o citric acid it says...

it definitely has the zesto and tang that a sauce of fresh crushed and drained plum tomatoes do not have....  not saying that's bad, but certainly for a generic NYC street pizza, virtually all use a pizza 'sauce' from can....  and at that, some are soo basic and thinned out... it's just like nothing more than a red tasteless paste.

anyway, the pepino is interesting... sort of tastes a bit like a prego/chef boyardee at some angles... but a lot more fresh, if i can describe it those ways...

can't wait to try it out in a pizza and see how it comes together with dough and cheese for a nyc-like taste.

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 07:40:18 AM »
Don Pepino is starting to show up on our grocery shelfs. Used it in the paste and loved it. We also used there alternate sauce called Violette Sauce. Which was also very good. Not as sweet as the Pepino Sauce.

But I can't seem to find that sauce anymore. Bummer.

Has anyone used Pastorelli's sauce. It is a little spicier, but very good.
Throw me a slice, won't ya

Offline Locke

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 07:57:02 PM »
I much prefer Sclafani Crushed Tomatoes but when I end up needing ingredients that I can purchase locally I mixing one can of Don Pepino with a jar of Ragu Pizza Sauce(Traditional not that Pizza Quick stuff). I know it's not going to win me any culinary awards but make do with what you have eh?

pizzapan