Author Topic: Forno Fio's Fun Friday  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Forno Fio's Fun Friday
« on: September 12, 2006, 10:25:51 PM »
Had a blast this Friday.  I had some friends over and the weather was cooperative - made some pies.  I used a Lehmann dough, 60% hydration, Stella whole milk mozz, 6-in-1 based sauce, and toppings:  sausage, mushrooms, pepperoni, anchovies.  The little girl next door wanted me to put DILL PICKLES on the pizza.

Know what?  When the rest of the pie is great - pickles ain't bad.

I had four doughs left over on Saturday morning.   Look what happened.  I think Jeff Varasano warned against this somewhere. . . .
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 10:30:29 PM by Fio »
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Forno Fio's Fun Friday
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 11:08:26 PM »
Fio,

Nothing more beautiful that a pizza bathed in the fire light. Those two photos without the flash - just illumination from the fire - are pure art. I couldn't see the temp. What was the deck temp and how long did it bake?

Bill/SFNM

Offline SteveVit

• Supporting Member
    • Yo!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 11:12:36 PM »
Nice Fio!! The pics, oven and pizza are just wonderful. I was wondering where you got the temperature gauge from. I've been having problems finding ones over 600+ degrees. I'm squinting but it looks like the temp is in between 700-800 degrees.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 11:15:21 PM by SteveVit »
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 12:10:36 AM »
Fio,
What was the deck temp and how long did it bake?

Bill/SFNM

I suspect the deck temp was only about 600.  As you know, it really varies from place to place.  It baked in about 4 minutes.

I know I can/should reach for higher temps/shorter baking times, but I'm still getting the hang of cooking pies in quick succession, and with the distractions of gathered friends, the longer bake times are actually a blessing.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 12:12:47 AM »
Nice Fio!! The pics, oven and pizza are just wonderful. I was wondering where you got the temperature gauge from. I've been having problems finding ones over 600+ degrees. I'm squinting but it looks like the temp is in between 700-800 degrees.

No, that is a standard Taylor oven thermometer in the corner; max is at 600 degrees.  The air in that corner is quite cool, around 450.  As I was telling Bill, I wasn't too aggressive with the fire, but the pizzas cook great in the time allotted and I'm happy with it.

You've inspired me to start baking hotter.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 08:33:39 AM »
Looks yummy. I really wish I could build one, but I can't with my current house.

Jeff

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 09:38:06 AM »
Looks yummy. I really wish I could build one, but I can't with my current house.

Jeff

Well, if you ever find yourself in the DC area. . . lemme know.

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 10:59:32 AM »
Fio,

Nothing more beautiful that a pizza bathed in the fire light. Those two photos without the flash - just illumination from the fire - are pure art. I couldn't see the temp. What was the deck temp and how long did it bake?

Bill/SFNM

Though the flames are bright, I'm wondering of the fire (i.e. the mass of glowing coals underneath) is too small.

Whaddya think?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 11:16:53 AM »
Though the flames are bright, I'm wondering of the fire (i.e. the mass of glowing coals underneath) is too small.

Whaddya think?

I use a much bigger fire to heat the oven and while baking, the fire is large enough so that flames arc up the sides of the dome and down into the pie. That's how I like to do it.

Bill/SFNM

pizzapan