Author Topic: New York pizza... in Boston! (Cowlicks Deli)  (Read 11068 times)

Offline pizza king

• Sal's Rules
Re: New York pizza... in Boston! (Cowlicks Deli)
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 09:07:31 AM »
Another note I have lived here my whole life ... mayo on a steak and cheese ick ...there are tons of good place to get a steak and cheese and no mayo !!! no mayo!!!...getting a steak bomb with steak cheese peppers mushrooms and onions melted american on top and you are good to go... i have a couple place for that as well ...Michaels in willimington (also get the steak tip sub very impressive) pizza mia has a pretty good steak bomb they add salmi to it which some people enjoy.. Pretty much Willimington is like being in long island there are pizza shops every hundred yards..only thing is most of them are dirty ..unlike LI which all the pizza shops did so well they made them into pizza restaurants..Another place to get a good steak bomb is Canton House of pizza in canton... NO MAYO !!! ...

Offline Castello_Pietro

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 01:23:41 AM »
A brief history of my old Pizza haunts, feel free to post in with your opinions.  Something in the back of my head is screaming, Are you nuts?  Don't tell them.  

Working and playing in Boston for many years, we used to go to the Rat, catch a band and afterwards go to Nemos Pizza.  Given we were drinking, I thought it came close to New York pizza.  I think both are gone now.  I was at Ninos the other day on Charles.  His pie is pretty good.

I agree with Scott that Regina's in the North End is probably the best Pizza in Boston and maybe New England.  Although, way back when there were two pizzerias in N. Conway; Elvios and Marcellos.  I haven't been to them in awhile.  Bertuccis used to be good, the original store in Somerville with the Bacci ball court downstairs, those were the days.  Santarpios in East Boston is difficult and the pizza is often burned.  It is good but not consistently good.

Here are some to try:

Maria di Napoli in Nonantum

Stella's in Watertown

I am not a fan of Hellenic pizza, it is too greasy and after a slice you get that heavy, unpleasant feeling in your stomach.

Sheet pizza made fresh in an Italian bakery can be surprisingly good.

Iggy's bakery has an interesting choice of sourdough sheet pizza with unusual yet acceptable toppings.  I am still laughing about one of the members using "Pineapple on pizza, that's a cake".  I feel the same way, what a great signature and what a great site.

It just doesn't get any better than Pizza in Positano.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 01:17:58 PM »
Castello, sadly Nemo's and the rat are definitely both gone. I too miss my days there and the slice next door. It was a favorite spot to play for the bands I was in during my college years, and none of the newer live music venues in boston that size have been able to come close to having as much character. I wonder if we were there at the same time? I love the back bay so much I have lived in the area for 18 years.

The good news is that Kenmore square looks a hell of a lot nicer now, and in place of the rat we have what is probably bostons best fine dining Seafood restaurant, Great Bay. That whole block is now a high end hotel with fancy bars and some fun places to hang after catching a sox game. The neighborhood has grown up right along with us.

I've tried your other mentions with moderate luck, but I am very interested to know that Iggy's has pizza. I had no idea. And made with a starter at that. Thanks for the tips because I am on my way to Iggy's ASAP!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 01:48:52 AM by scott r »

Offline elicheez

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 02:45:02 PM »
I just had some great pizza at Galleria Umberto in the North End. Highly recommended. Anyone (scott_r??) know what kind of ingredients they use?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2007, 04:29:19 PM »
I don't, but I will try to find out for you.  It has been years since I had their pizza, it's square medium thick sicilian style (cooked in a pan) right?

Offline elicheez

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2007, 04:39:52 PM »
Right. Slightly burnt, greasy cheese on a soft dough. Delicious, as are the other menu items I tried. Might actually be worth the wait.

Offline elicheez

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2007, 03:28:06 PM »
Scott, any luck finding out about their ingredients? Just curious. No worries if you can't. Thanks.

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2007, 08:52:37 PM »
Hey Scott & elicheeze,

I went to college out there, and there was a great little joint we simply called "slice" around the corner from Berklee College...not sure what its real name was, but they had these terrific cheesesteaks and decent NY styled pizza.  They literally saved my life in the blizzard of '78, as there was nothing open except "slice" (the family owning/baking lived upstairs, no one else got into or out of the city)...  I lived on that pizza most of the winter. Probably gone now, but a nice memory.  Anyone know anything 'bout it?

Dan
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline elicheez

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2007, 10:10:12 AM »
Maybe you mean Little Stevie's? It's right around the corner from Berklee on Boylston St. The place looks like hell, but the pizzas are pretty tasty.

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2007, 11:34:52 AM »
That's it!  Next time I get out there, I'll check it out for nostalgia's sake, and also make stops from the list that you and Scott put together...its been too long since I was there, I do miss Boston!  Thanks.

Dan
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2007, 12:10:33 PM »
Dan, did you go to Berklee?  I started there in 1990 and steevies really rocked in those days.  If you go back make sure you beg them to make you a fresh pizza instead of just reheating one from the stacks that sit there all day.  When they are fresh they are seriously good and all about the crust.

I think you are going to be blown away by how much Boston has changed.  It has really turned ito a top notch city, but unfortunately the rents reflect that.  You are lucky if you can find a studio apartment for less than $1000 a month now.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2007, 02:13:56 PM »
Mayo on a cheese steak.......
That's the only way I eat my cheese steaks. Here in PA they put nasty tomato sauce on cheese steaks. I get mine no sauce and break out the jar of Hellmann's when I get it home.  ;D
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2007, 02:29:01 PM »
Hey Scott,

Yeah, I went there in the late 70's when the dorms were in the firebombed areas of the backbay.  I heard its changed alot, but haven't been back since those days.  I once saw a rat the size of an armadillo on my way to the Mass Ave. practice rooms!

I'll take your advice on the Steevies pies...

I really look forward to seeing Boston again after all these years.  Do you still live there?

Dan

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2007, 02:52:35 PM »
Scott, any luck finding out about their ingredients? Just curious. No worries if you can't. Thanks.

I finally was in the north end when the galleria was open.  I don't know how places like that can make their rent when they are always closed. I guess they must own the building.  Anyhow, they are definitely not just using mozzarella.  Try blending a high quality mild white cheddar 50/50.  There is a very good chance they are actually using a premixed blend of white cheddar/mozzarella/provolone that is very popular in New England. The flavor is a huge indicator, but also the way the cheese browns is a sure sign of cheddar in the mix. Here is one example of what they may be using:
http://www.grandecheese.com/products/Pages/ProductGroup.aspx?Level=1&ProductGroupID=1&ProductCategoryID=3&ProductSubCategoryID=2

There are also many other brands that sell this same blend in New England, great lakes, sorrento, saputo etc. 

Offline elicheez

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2007, 10:56:45 AM »
Great, thanks a bunch Scott. I'm pretty sure there's some cheddar in there. I really like that flavor.

I tried Crazy Dough's pizza (there's one next to Stevie's). It's quite good, though I stay away from the "Crazy" varieties.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2007, 11:33:05 AM »
Their dough can be a bit like cardboard, but that sauce is amazing!  Every now and then I get a really good slice there.  I usually stick to the traditional as well, but some time definitely try the buffalo chicken.  For some reason it is better than all the other buffalo I have tried.

Offline elicheez

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2007, 12:05:38 PM »
Yeah, the dough was pretty hard, but I thought maybe it was because I got reheated slices. The flavor is great, though. There are posters all over the store that say they use Grande cheese.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2007, 12:21:58 PM »
If you haven't already you should cheeck out Bostone pizza, where the old Newbury pizza was.  Like crazy doughs they don't always serve fresh slices, but I have had some really great sicilian there, and their thin slices are a lot like crazy doughs.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: New York pizza... in Boston!
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2009, 04:38:48 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but I thought I'd reopen it!  ;D

I'm headed to Boston next week and plan to do a lot of exploring (staying near Berklee and won't have a car -- but plan to do a lot of walking!).

Anyone have any pizza recommendations?

I was planning to hit the following:

Emma's
Picco's
Regina's
Santarpio's

Opinions?  :chef:
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2009, 09:51:44 AM »
Steve,

When I was last in the Boston area, I and a few friends ate at Picco's, after debating between Santarpio's and Picco. I thought the Picco pizzas were very good but both are good places. I tried Regina's many years ago, both in the North End and in the Fanueil Hall Market (you want the one in the North End), but my memory of their pizza has faded. I have not tried Emma's.

scott r, our quintessential expert on pizza joints, has discussed the merits of the Picco, Santarpio's and Regina's pizzas at Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1406.msg13887/topicseen.html#msg13887, at Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3067.msg26035/topicseen.html#msg26035 and at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1009.msg9457/topicseen.html#msg9457.

Peter

pizzapan