Author Topic: New York pizza... in Boston! (Cowlicks Deli)  (Read 11915 times)

Offline elicheez

Re: New York pizza... in Boston! (Cowlicks Deli)
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2007, 04:39:52 PM »
Right. Slightly burnt, greasy cheese on a soft dough. Delicious, as are the other menu items I tried. Might actually be worth the wait.

Offline elicheez

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2007, 03:28:06 PM »
Scott, any luck finding out about their ingredients? Just curious. No worries if you can't. Thanks.

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2007, 08:52:37 PM »
Hey Scott & elicheeze,

I went to college out there, and there was a great little joint we simply called "slice" around the corner from Berklee College...not sure what its real name was, but they had these terrific cheesesteaks and decent NY styled pizza.  They literally saved my life in the blizzard of '78, as there was nothing open except "slice" (the family owning/baking lived upstairs, no one else got into or out of the city)...  I lived on that pizza most of the winter. Probably gone now, but a nice memory.  Anyone know anything 'bout it?

Dan
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline elicheez

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2007, 10:10:12 AM »
Maybe you mean Little Stevie's? It's right around the corner from Berklee on Boylston St. The place looks like hell, but the pizzas are pretty tasty.

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2007, 11:34:52 AM »
That's it!  Next time I get out there, I'll check it out for nostalgia's sake, and also make stops from the list that you and Scott put together...its been too long since I was there, I do miss Boston!  Thanks.

Dan
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2007, 12:10:33 PM »
Dan, did you go to Berklee?  I started there in 1990 and steevies really rocked in those days.  If you go back make sure you beg them to make you a fresh pizza instead of just reheating one from the stacks that sit there all day.  When they are fresh they are seriously good and all about the crust.

I think you are going to be blown away by how much Boston has changed.  It has really turned ito a top notch city, but unfortunately the rents reflect that.  You are lucky if you can find a studio apartment for less than $1000 a month now.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2007, 02:13:56 PM »
Mayo on a cheese steak.......
That's the only way I eat my cheese steaks. Here in PA they put nasty tomato sauce on cheese steaks. I get mine no sauce and break out the jar of Hellmann's when I get it home.  ;D
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2007, 02:29:01 PM »
Hey Scott,

Yeah, I went there in the late 70's when the dorms were in the firebombed areas of the backbay.  I heard its changed alot, but haven't been back since those days.  I once saw a rat the size of an armadillo on my way to the Mass Ave. practice rooms!

I'll take your advice on the Steevies pies...

I really look forward to seeing Boston again after all these years.  Do you still live there?

Dan

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2007, 02:52:35 PM »
Scott, any luck finding out about their ingredients? Just curious. No worries if you can't. Thanks.

I finally was in the north end when the galleria was open.  I don't know how places like that can make their rent when they are always closed. I guess they must own the building.  Anyhow, they are definitely not just using mozzarella.  Try blending a high quality mild white cheddar 50/50.  There is a very good chance they are actually using a premixed blend of white cheddar/mozzarella/provolone that is very popular in New England. The flavor is a huge indicator, but also the way the cheese browns is a sure sign of cheddar in the mix. Here is one example of what they may be using:
http://www.grandecheese.com/products/Pages/ProductGroup.aspx?Level=1&ProductGroupID=1&ProductCategoryID=3&ProductSubCategoryID=2

There are also many other brands that sell this same blend in New England, great lakes, sorrento, saputo etc. 

Offline elicheez

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2007, 10:56:45 AM »
Great, thanks a bunch Scott. I'm pretty sure there's some cheddar in there. I really like that flavor.

I tried Crazy Dough's pizza (there's one next to Stevie's). It's quite good, though I stay away from the "Crazy" varieties.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2007, 11:33:05 AM »
Their dough can be a bit like cardboard, but that sauce is amazing!  Every now and then I get a really good slice there.  I usually stick to the traditional as well, but some time definitely try the buffalo chicken.  For some reason it is better than all the other buffalo I have tried.

Offline elicheez

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2007, 12:05:38 PM »
Yeah, the dough was pretty hard, but I thought maybe it was because I got reheated slices. The flavor is great, though. There are posters all over the store that say they use Grande cheese.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2007, 12:21:58 PM »
If you haven't already you should cheeck out Bostone pizza, where the old Newbury pizza was.  Like crazy doughs they don't always serve fresh slices, but I have had some really great sicilian there, and their thin slices are a lot like crazy doughs.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: New York pizza... in Boston!
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2009, 04:38:48 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but I thought I'd reopen it!  ;D

I'm headed to Boston next week and plan to do a lot of exploring (staying near Berklee and won't have a car -- but plan to do a lot of walking!).

Anyone have any pizza recommendations?

I was planning to hit the following:

Emma's
Picco's
Regina's
Santarpio's

Opinions?  :chef:

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2009, 09:51:44 AM »
Steve,

When I was last in the Boston area, I and a few friends ate at Picco's, after debating between Santarpio's and Picco. I thought the Picco pizzas were very good but both are good places. I tried Regina's many years ago, both in the North End and in the Fanueil Hall Market (you want the one in the North End), but my memory of their pizza has faded. I have not tried Emma's.

scott r, our quintessential expert on pizza joints, has discussed the merits of the Picco, Santarpio's and Regina's pizzas at Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1406.msg13887/topicseen.html#msg13887, at Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3067.msg26035/topicseen.html#msg26035 and at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1009.msg9457/topicseen.html#msg9457.

Peter

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2009, 10:41:20 AM »
Steve,  reginas is a must try.  Santarpios is worth it as well,  I've had some great pies there,  they also make a sausage there,  and serve lamb kabobs too,  cooked over wood or charcoal I forget.  Very good if you are into that stuff.  Have not been to emmas.  BTW I think both pizza places only take cash,  which can catch people off gaurd,  and expect a wait at reginas,  or try to sneak through after lunch ,  before dinnertime.   As peter said,  PICCO is very good too.  Have fun.  -marc

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2009, 09:06:18 PM »
Picco's - Very good, met Rick (the owner) and we talked pizza. His dough is aged for three days then cooked in a gas oven... very nice charred crust, very good pizza. Will be going back again before I leave Boston on Friday.

Regina's - Had their "mall" pizza at Fanueil Hall Market, it was fair. Then stopped by their small pizzeria in the North End (Little Italy) which was much better. While very good (and worth the trip), but I think Picco's is better.

Still a few days left... will try to sample some more pizza before I head home.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2009, 11:50:51 PM »
im jumping in late here, but if you have time try to hit either of the New York pizzas.  There is one on mass ave in the south end and one on tremont st in the theater district. They are both within a 5 minute drive from Picco.  Its not fancy like Picco but I think its Bostons best traditional NY style pizza and its sold by the slice.  I think it would be worth hitting before or after Picco, or even in place of it.   

Have fun in Boston!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:53:35 PM by scott r »