Author Topic: Stansilaus  (Read 2429 times)

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
Stansilaus
« on: March 09, 2006, 01:51:29 PM »
For those of you who prefer Stansilaus tomato products,
which particular product are you using?  What is the compreheble equal to Escalon's 6-in-1?

I read that Papa John's uses Stansilaus.  PJ's has the sauce-quality I am interested in reproducing or basing my own sauce creations off of, so I would like to get closest to what they have.

Thanks.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Stansilaus
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 03:01:44 PM »
ihavezippers,

I read that at one time Papa John's was Stanislaus' biggest customer but, as a result of a dispute over pricing, went to Escalon (the source of the 6-in-1s) for part of its needs. I am not sure who is sourcing them now or to what extent.

I recently tried the Stanislaus Tomato Magic, which is considered to be comparable to the Escalon 6-in-1s, and I liked that product. They are both "fresh pack" tomatoes with similar taste, at least to me. The Stanislaus products do, however, include citric acic, which some people react to or do not like from a taste standpoint. The 6-on-1s do not use citric acid.

Peter

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 03:05:34 PM »
thanks pete...i just discovered steve's crossrefernce, posted below.  it looks like i either want the tomato magic or the 6-in-1 peeled.  i noticed the tomato magic doesnt list whether it is in puree...

i wonder how much a difference the citric acid makes...
anyhow, i'm more a fan of papa johns from the 90s.  i havent had papa johns in years...i'm assuming that the sauce base from the 90s was the stansilaus.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 03:35:43 PM »
ihavezippers,

The label of the can of Stanislaus Tomato Magic I have lists the ingredients as "Vine-ripened fresh tomatoes, salt and citric acid". On the front of the label, it says "Ground Tomatoes". On a can of the 6-in-1s, the ingredients listed are "Vine-Ripened Fresh Unpeeled Ground Tomatoes, Extra Heavy Tomato Puree and Salt". To me, the texture and thickness seemed the same.

Peter

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 05:24:06 PM »
Sorry to keep beating this dead horse...

It appears as though you can't order Stansilaus online, but only through telephone?

Can you give me an idea what a crate of 6 Tomato Magic cans will run me, with shipping?
I just hate to call them and find out they are out of my price range.  Escalon is very reasonable, and only a dollar fifty for shipping.  I think in total, it was going to cost $16 or so to get me a shipment of 6 6-in-1s.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 05:25:51 PM by ihavezippers »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 06:08:48 PM »
ihavezippers,

I was fortunate enough to find the Stanislaus Tomato Magic tomatoes in 28-ounce cans at a Dallas Italian foods market for around $1.99 a can. I'm not sure where you would find them in your area and even if you do whether they would be the 28-ounce cans or the #10 cans. If you can't find them locally at a reasonable price, you might do best by getting the 6-in-1s from Escalon. As many of our members have discovered, shipping cans of tomatoes can be quite expensive.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 12:29:48 AM »
ihavezippers

I have gone through a number of cases of both the Stanislaus Tomato Magic and the Escalon 6in1 tomatoes.   They are indeed quite similar.  In shootouts between the two side by side I have come to the conclusion that I do slightly prefer the 6 in 1's.  There just seems to be something deeper with the flavor.  The difference is minimal, though, and I would say that you will be more than happy with either one.  In the end I would go for the product that you get for the better price.

For the thicker more processed products the difference between Stanislaus and Escalon seems negligible.  Where I start noticing a big difference in the two brands is with the whole tomatoes, or the tomato strips.  The Bella Rosa whole tomatoes (Escalon) really seem like a different type of tomato to me then the Alta Cucina whole tomatoes (Stanislaus).  On top of that I really can start to taste the citric acid in the less processed Stanislaus varieties.  The citric acid does not seem to be a big deal for me with the 7/11 or tomato magic,  but I do definitely find it to be quite strong in the Alta Cucina's and the 64/40 or the 74/40 tomato fillets. It can give these products an almost sour flavor, but don't get me wrong, they are excellent and somehow do seem to taste fresher and brighter than their Escalon equivalents.

Basically I would suggest that if you are going for thick puree/concentrated crushed type products the brands are almost interchangeable.  If you are going for a fresh chunky sauce or a sauce made with whole tomatoes definitely try both and see which one you like better.

If you do want to try Stanislaus products and can not find them in your area check out this thread.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2396.0.html
Depending on where you are located they can have excellent shipping prices and Carry many Escalon and Stanislaus varieties including some in small cans.

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 02:54:11 PM »
i like Stanislaus' New York pizza sauce and once got Nuevo Yorke..not sure where that can was supposed to go but it's a great sauce, no need to add anything.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 08:43:53 PM »
ihavezippers

I have gone through a number of cases of both the Stanislaus Tomato Magic and the Escalon 6in1 tomatoes.   They are indeed quite similar.  In shootouts between the two side by side I have come to the conclusion that I do slightly prefer the 6 in 1's.  There just seems to be something deeper with the flavor.  The difference is minimal, though, and I would say that you will be more than happy with either one.  In the end I would go for the product that you get for the better price.

For the thicker more processed products the difference between Stanislaus and Escalon seems negligible.  Where I start noticing a big difference in the two brands is with the whole tomatoes, or the tomato strips.  The Bella Rosa whole tomatoes (Escalon) really seem like a different type of tomato to me then the Alta Cucina whole tomatoes (Stanislaus).  On top of that I really can start to taste the citric acid in the less processed Stanislaus varieties.  The citric acid does not seem to be a big deal for me with the 7/11 or tomato magic,  but I do definitely find it to be quite strong in the Alta Cucina's and the 64/40 or the 74/40 tomato fillets. It can give these products an almost sour flavor, but don't get me wrong, they are excellent and somehow do seem to taste fresher and brighter than their Escalon equivalents.

Basically I would suggest that if you are going for thick puree/concentrated crushed type products the brands are almost interchangeable.  If you are going for a fresh chunky sauce or a sauce made with whole tomatoes definitely try both and see which one you like better.

If you do want to try Stanislaus products and can not find them in your area check out this thread.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2396.0.html
Depending on where you are located they can have excellent shipping prices and Carry many Escalon and Stanislaus varieties including some in small cans.

but they don't sell the premade tomato magic, just the whole tomatoes and the crushed tomatoes, right?

Offline SLICEofSLOMON

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 12:42:26 PM »
I've been a steady user of Stanislaus products for 18 years. I use them for all of my teaching, seminars and recipe testing.

However, recently in my continual quest to tweak my own personal pizza model, I've been really centering on my core ingredients. I changed to a certified organic flour and have been making my own mozzarella cheese. Now, I'm looking for an organic tomato that will pass my stringent tastes. Last week I had a tasting of the Escalon products side by side with the Stanislaus products in my restaurant.
I use Tomato Magic exclusively on my pizza, but I have to say that in a side by side taste comparison, the Escalon products won out. Particularly their organic Christina tomato products (which are pretty damn hard to get commercially, so I have no idea how you'll get any on the consumer side). When I cooked them both on pizza, the Escalon products were consistently sweeter with a fresh intense tomato flavor. I could also taste the citric acid in the Tomato Magic. When eating them side by side, the differences are glaring. The Escalon products are also so much more tender, they really taste like I just preserved the tomatoes myself. I was pretty surprised because I really like the Tomato Magic and I will still continue to use it as I have in the past. But for my own personal use, I've decided to make the switch to the organic tomatoes. Escalon has limited commercial distribution in the Bay Area. I'm sure we will work it out.

I had a glut of 8 number 10 cans of tomato products left to play around with. Obviously the restaurant put them to good use, but I made an outstanding Grandma pizza with some of the chopped organic tomatoes--sorry no pictures as it was consumed too quickly  :chef: