Author Topic: parmesian differences  (Read 1402 times)

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
parmesian differences
« on: October 05, 2006, 02:43:56 AM »
Has anyone ever noticed, for pre-grated parmesian, there appear to be two varieties?  Kraft parmesian, in my opinion is fantastic, and has the taste-qualities I'll attribute to one of these varieties...but it isn't only Kraft which has this.  Many generic brands seem to carry this good taste.

Then there is a second kind, which is just lacking something I can't identify.  I recently bought a 5lb bag of this pregrated, to my misfortune.  I tried to capture the Kraft taste this evening, thinking maybe Kraft's secret ingredient is sugar...but didn't help much.

Anyhow, just curious if someone knows about this and can explain the difference.  I don't think its an age thing either.  I've had Kraft sit in my fridge for months, and this bag of parmesian cheese I got (which is not the first time I have tasted this variety of parmesian cheese) is brand new.  Likewise, it is not a matter of a Romano mix or anything, at least not to my knowledge.  I only buy "pure parmesian".

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
Re: parmesian differences
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 12:27:46 PM »
In my experience, pregrated parmesean just doesn't compare to fresh grated.  Buying it pregrated is hit or miss.  Some of them are totally dry and others are moist.  All in all, I've never had better than grating my own off a block of imported parmigiano-reggiano.

http://www.parmaitaly.com/parmigianok.html