Author Topic: Removing Moisture From Fresh Mozz  (Read 1733 times)

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
Removing Moisture From Fresh Mozz
« on: September 03, 2006, 08:12:32 PM »
I've read several posts that mention using paper towels to remove moisture from fresh mozz.  I've used this on a small scale (ie enough cheese for 2-3  13" pizzas)  with success.  How do pizzerias do this on a large scale?  I can't imagine they're using paper towels.  Anyone know?

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
Re: Removing Moisture From Fresh Mozz
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 08:22:45 PM »
Hey again Raji,

I think I recommend the paper towel thing, so you may have seen it on my site. Not all cheeses need it. It really depends on the vendor. Also, you can leave it in the fridge in a strainer. This works especially well if you've cut it up already. The fridge is very dry and will dry it out. Just be careful, it can dry it out too much or too fast & cause a skin to form on it.  You can reduce this possibility by covering it slightly to keep the amount of moisture being sucked out to a slow pace.

Jeff

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 01:14:11 AM »
the owner of lombardi's says that he hangs it in cheese cloth in his cooler.

Offline Arthur

• When Brooklyn Was the World
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 11:25:27 PM »
I have had great success with my cheese recently.  I use a buffalo mozz from Costco.  It's about $10 for 4 medium sized mozz balls.  I was having a problem with the moisture but I think I now have that resolved.

I bought a roll of cheese cloth (4 yards??) from home depot in the paint section.  First I pour out the water from the cheese container several hours before I'm going to make the pizza.  Then I cut a piece of cheese cloth and stretch it oven a bowl or some pan.  I use a very large rubber band to secure the cloth over this bowl or pan.  I let the cheese sit on top of the cloth to drain in the fridge for a few hours.  An hour before cooking I slice the cheese and lay the pieces on the same cloth to drain more.  When it's pizza time my cheese is dry.