Author Topic: Dayton area pizzarias  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
Dayton area pizzarias
« on: September 07, 2006, 06:39:17 PM »
Anyone from Dayton, OH? I didn't see any topics on Dayton I might as well start one.

1. Flying Pizza (WSU area) - My fave, awesome NY style pizza. Awesome crust, sauce and fresh toppings. Fills ya up. Price is never an issue here...worth every dollar. Calzones are the best around too, freaking huge. Get one as well. Great breadsticks too....
2. Joe's Pizzaria - This place is great and always packed on weekends. Great sauce.
3. Marion's - The crust really stands out for me, decent sauce.
4. Oregon Express -  I love their pizza, the sauce is very good so ask for extra it's free. Good bands on weekends as well.
5. Cassano's - Deluxe is great when there's a special, otherwise it can be expensive. Love the sauce. Crust can be salty at times.
6. Giovanni's (downtown Fairborn location) - Good when they decide to put lots of sauce on. I find them expensive, especially since they charge for extra sauce ($1.50 per large). Two minutes from my house though. Great lasagna!
7. Rocafellas - Been here once, got the Bronx Bomber and it was great. My fiance got a regular slice and she didn't like it at all. Sauce needs some improvement (I'm a sauce-knob). If you go...get the bomber. One slice will fill you up.

Places I need opinions on (I've never been but want to):

Dewey's
Dayton Pizza Factory
Pappy's Pizza Parlor - they have a 24" pizza!
C's Pizza
Pacchia - their food is pricey but they have wood fired pizza so I'm interested
La Pergola
Mombo's

I can't be the only one from the area, can I???
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 06:41:20 PM by Kidder »

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Dayton area pizzarias
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 07:26:09 PM »
Hey, Kidder,
I am from Cincinnati and we have a Flying Pizza near my parents house and i think they make a pretty good pizza. it is my number one or 2 in the area (deweys being up there). never having spent much time in Dayton i can only comment that Deweys is a very good more up scale style pizza for about the same prices you would  pay at Flying Pizza. their dough is very soft and moist and the topping are really good. some of their specialty pizzas are on the eclectic side, but all are top rate for what we have in the area. having grown up in Connecticut i miss the pizza you could get there in the Hartford area.  :'( it was sooooo good. but alas.
Christopher

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 07:50:46 PM »
Hey, Kidder,
I am from Cincinnati and we have a Flying Pizza near my parents house and i think they make a pretty good pizza. it is my number one or 2 in the area (deweys being up there). never having spent much time in Dayton i can only comment that Deweys is a very good more up scale style pizza for about the same prices you would  pay at Flying Pizza. their dough is very soft and moist and the topping are really good. some of their specialty pizzas are on the eclectic side, but all are top rate for what we have in the area. having grown up in Connecticut i miss the pizza you could get there in the Hartford area.  :'( it was sooooo good. but alas.
Christopher

I didn't know there was a Flying Pizza down there. Good to hear you like it though. Try one of their calzones next time. I've been to Dewey's website and they do have quite the selection of toppings. I like an almost burnt crust though, something that really crunches when you bite into it. I can't stand doughy crust for the most part.

My second favorite pizza of all time is Best Italian Pizzaria in Gatlinburg. I was surprised that good pizza could come from there. We absolutely loved it, awesome stuff. They had real garlic bread too with actual chunks of garlic on it...delicious.

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 07:41:40 PM »
I used to work at Cassano's in Richmond, IN.  BTW, The Richmond newspaper once conducted a poll to determine their readership's favorite things to do in Richmond.  #1 on the list, as it turned out, was "Go to Dayton." (no kidding).

Regarding the saltiness of the pizza, it is quite intentional.  Instead of using flour or cornmeal to get the traditional crust to slide off the board, Cassano's used salt.  This seemed odd to me at first, but it did grow on me.  When eating a piece, that salt on the bottom of the crust goes directly on the tongue.  It would be very easy to use too much though. 

Offline Fullback66

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:03:49 PM »
We visited Cincinnati a week ago and ate at Deweys pizza. It was awesome!!! I really liked the crust. Would anyone have the recipe for the crust?

Hey, Kidder,
Christopher

Offline Dabearrn

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 09:01:30 AM »
If you ever find yourself in the Southwestern part of Dayton for any reason, check out the Pizza Palace in Germantown.  Their pizza is similar to Cassano's, (disclaimer: I haven't been home in about 6 years so this may have changed) but their steak sandwiches are to die for!!!!!     :'(  Baked, with the mushroom sauce and the provolone all melting together after it comes out of the oven.  It is amazing!!!  It is very easy to find, just one block north off SR 725 in town, beside the RR track. 

Offline jives

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
I live in the Dayton area and agree that Flying Pizza is about the best pizza around here (NY style). 

Original Pizza Factory is owned by an acquaintance of mine.  It's very good and has some interesting "specialty" pizzas.  The Reuben pizza is very unique.

I went to a place on Brown Street a while back, but I can't remember the name of it.  It was right down the street from Pine Club.  It had pretty good NY style pizza.

My wife loves Rocafella's.  I think it's ok.  They brush the outer crust with honey butter which makes it very sweet.  I like the consistency of the crust, but it's a little too sweet for me.

I've heard about another place in Centerville called Johnny's Slice of New York but haven't tried it yet.