Author Topic: Hartford, CT area  (Read 2034 times)

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Hartford, CT area
« on: September 07, 2006, 08:25:35 PM »
having grown up in Connecticut i miss the pizza you could get there in the Hartford area.  :'( it was sooooo good. but alas.

Christopher,

What is good in the Hartford area?  I'm fairly new to CT.  Obviously I know all the New Haven names but are there any other good places? 

thanks,
Deb
Deb

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
Re: Hartford, CT area
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 11:44:16 PM »
Hey!   If you are from New Haven, you probably know all about good pizza and you probably have very specific ideas about what makes it good.  There is a place in the Simsbury Commons called Luna Pizza.   The owner has opened a couple of other locations in the area like in West Hartford, but that's the one I know.  He learned his craft at Patsy's (now Grimaldi's) under the Brooklyn Bridge, and he makes pizza in the oldest school New York tradition.  It's definitely the best stuff in the area in my opinion.  Check it out and please post a reply so I know what you thought.

-- Glutenboy
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 07:23:20 PM »
I miss Luna because at one time it was on Franklin Ave. Great wood oven. For whatever reason they left and I thought they were great. You can also try First and Last on Maple Ave, Hartford. A bit pricey, but in my opinion they are good at flavorful toppings. To my taste, just right, since I like things on the lighter side as opposed to excessive sauce and piles of toppings.

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 10:23:44 PM »
hey, guys,
it is hard to remember all the places, but Lunas was special when it was in Hartford (never had it at the West Hartford location). there was a place in Whethersfield (sp?) called Vito's that we used to always get and that was great. it was right on the border with Rocky Hill if memory serves me. i remember eating at First and Last and that was very good pizza. mostly we got Vito's and Luna's. does anybody else know about Vito's? am i crazy or was it great? maybe i am crazy.
i think the funny or sad thng is when i was younger i had never had fresh mozz. before and i rember our first Luna's pizza my dad brought home and i freaked because it looked like melted marshmallow to me. :-D only now do i really appreciate the finer things fresh cheese offers.
in reality i would take any pizza place in CT over what we have in Cinci. there are some good places, but nothing special.
i remember biking down to Franklin Ave to hang out at my friends dads Italian shop. i havent been back there in about  12 years. i need to go back to visit my old stomping ground. i can ask my dad if you need some other places around the Stamford area if you're ever near there too.
Christopher

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 08:14:33 AM »
Thanks guys.  I live about 1/2 hr from Hartford and 45 min from New Haven.  I go towards Hartford more often than New Haven.  I googled Luna and there is also one in Plainville which is even closer to me since it's on the way to Hartford.  I'll have to try it soon. 

Thanks,
Deb
Deb

Offline sbxstr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 08:22:36 AM »
Try First & Last on Maple Ave in Hartford's south end. ALmost as good as Pepe's in my opinion.

Offline Natephish

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 01:27:06 PM »
If you're ever in Meriden, CT (about 20 miles south of Hartford), try Little Rendezvous.  It's an OLD place with a 115 year old wooden brick oven.  Pepe's, of course, is the best pizza around but Little Rendezvous is right behind it.

Offline pierce652

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 06:53:49 AM »
Oh yes...Little Rendezvous is awsome.  A lot like Amodern or Pepes.  Luna's has a place in Cromwell but its not that great.  The original First and Last (not the one in Middletown) is excellent too.  My wife loves Vito's.
BBQ, Pizza, Flyfishing

Offline zymurgymaster

• A.lpha S.ausage S.upreme
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 06:56:12 PM »
Harry's in West Hartford has it's moments and Little City Pizza in Simsbury can also be quite tasty.
I am not a fan of First and Last Tavern, at least the one in Avon.
Luna too can be very good but they also run into consistency issues.

pizzapan