Author Topic: first decent tasting caputo 00 flour experiment  (Read 2262 times)

Offline pizzanyc

• I Love Pizza!
first decent tasting caputo 00 flour experiment
« on: September 08, 2006, 10:13:24 PM »
first decent pizza made with caputo , if i remember correctly, used 4.5 cups of caputo and half a cup of bread flour. decent but not great pizza. would a wood oven or brick oven make a difference in the taste and appearance of the pie and would it make it more airier and fluffier in taste?

Offline ernestrome

• I Love Pizza!
Re: first decent tasting caputo 00 flour experiment
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 03:46:46 AM »
Do you cook on tiles or a pizza stone?

Doesn't look like there was a lot of oven spring, are you using dry yeast or preferment/starter? How long was the dough fermenting before cooking?

Offline pizzanyc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 08:47:30 AM »
Do you cook on tiles or a pizza stone?

Doesn't look like there was a lot of oven spring, are you using dry yeast or preferment/starter? How long was the dough fermenting before cooking?

i bake on a very old pizza stone. what is oven spring by the way? i'm using active dry yeast. dough fermented at least 12 hrs. i don't know exactly how long though, but it must have been at least 12 hrs, since i don't use it unless it ferments for that long in the fridge. if there is anything you know that can improve my pizza, do tell.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 09:56:47 AM »
fresh cheese looked a bit overbrowned possibly.

Offline pizzanyc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 09:59:42 AM »
fresh cheese looked a bit overbrowned possibly.

yeah, i know, it overbrowned a bit and the sauce was dried up, so it didn't taste great. But i really think the crust could use more improvement, not airy enough or fluffy enough. way too crispy.  i don't know how to describe it. it tastes different from my high gluten pies, this almost reminds me of a thick tortilla chip.

Offline ernestrome

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 04:19:46 AM »
Oven spring is the very fast initial rise from hitting the stone, as the gases (steam and CO2) get heated and expand.

Your crust looks quite flat to me, whereas i tend to imagine neapolitan pizza's are bubbly at the rim, and thin in the middle. It could be as a consequence of the shaping, i leave a rim of dough at the edge of mine to achieve the thicker bubbly rim.

I don't really know why your pie has not risen properly. I use starter only now, rather than bought yeast, but i would think that active yeast should provide plenty of spring. Maybe you need to have a period of proofing at room temp before retarding in the fridge, or just have a longer fermentation in total.

Another factor is oven temperature, how hot is your oven?

« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 04:22:32 AM by ernestrome »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 09:54:03 AM »
pizzanyc,

You might want to take a look at the definition of oven spring in the Pizza Glossary at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html#O. There is some slight disagreement on the forum as to whether it is the trapped gases and steam that is more responsible for oven spring than the residual yeast in the dough at the time of baking, but, as you will see, there are other factors that are also involved in getting good oven spring.

BTW, as a new member, if you haven't taken a look at the Pizza Glossary, you may want to do so. It will answer a lot of questions you may have on your mind.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 01:44:21 AM »
yeah, i know, it overbrowned a bit and the sauce was dried up, so it didn't taste great. But i really think the crust could use more improvement, not airy enough or fluffy enough. way too crispy.  i don't know how to describe it. it tastes different from my high gluten pies, this almost reminds me of a thick tortilla chip.

Caputo Pizzeria flour is not an airy flour when compared to others.  At really high temps this is a good thing!  At low temps  :(

If you want a good Neapolitan crust at low temps try an American all purpose flour like the King Arthur.  If you want NY style use all trumps.  Even the high temp NY style like Lombardi's and Patsy's is that extra fluffy but crisped thing that happens to all trumps when it cooks fast.

If you want a decent Caputo pie at low temps pull the pie out way before you think it is done.  The pie should be pure white.  The ones you have pictured are way over done.  I know it looks weird, but that is just what you have to deal with using Caputo at the wrong temp.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 01:50:48 AM by scott r »