Author Topic: Looking for Chicago thin crust pizza in DFW area  (Read 1446 times)

Offline chicagonative

• I Love Chicago Pizza!
Looking for Chicago thin crust pizza in DFW area
« on: September 10, 2006, 03:50:04 PM »
I have been making my own pizza at home for years after having worked at a chicago pizza place as a teenager. However, now that I live in the Dallas area, I cannot get good take out pizza ANYWHERE. Does anyone have some suggestions for decent pizza in Dallas?

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re: Looking for Chicago thin crust pizza in DFW area
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 12:25:06 PM »
The only place I have heard of is Sweet Home Chicago in south Fort Worth.  I have heard their Deep Dish and thin crust are very good.  I keep meaning to go, but have never made it.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline chiguy

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 12:45:06 PM »
 Hi Chicagonative,
 Curious what pizza place you worked at and do you have a recipe you could share???    
                                                                                                 Chiguy

Offline chicagonative

• I Love Chicago Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 10:08:02 PM »
Sorry for the delay in responding... ::) but I did not feel very confident in my pizza making skills to share any recipes. I worked at a pizza place in Bensenville ( a suburb of Chicago) called Mamma Maria's. I miss their pizza dearly. I came to this site tonight after having made one of my best efforts this evening. I only do basic measurements and do not measure by volume. I have been very pleased with the results of my crust since moving to DFW. I have also lived in Chicago, Tampa, & Phoenix and the crust was different in every place. I couldn't ever figure out if it was the difference in humidity, water, or ovens but there was a definite difference in EVERY place. I had used the same pizza stone and the same temperature oven - 500 and the same recipe. I usually use this quick recipe since I can never plan 24 hours in advance.

2 1/4 flour
(2/3 - 3/4) cup water & almost the whole package of yeast
3/4 teas salt
3 tbls olive oil

proof for 1 - 2 hours

the sauce I used tonight was a Trader Joe's Sugo Di Pomodoro Marinara ( it was quite tasty)

half provolone half mozz slices

sausage - bulk ground pork with fennel, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper
add it to the pizza raw - but in small pieces so that they cook completely

onion, mushroom, fresh garlic and red pepper

15 inch round stone

I use 2/3's of the dough rolled out real thin with a generous amount of flour to make a15 inch pie
(the rest of the dough always makes a small cheese for the kids)

And tonight I just realized that my oven actually goes up to 550 so I am looking forward to using it to full capacity!

After it came out of the oven I thought about taking pictures but my daughter is having a sleep over and I needed to make the kids pizza too!

I will post pic's on my next endeavor.

And DKM - thanks for the pizza advice but we have only made it to Fort Worth twice - we will have to make a trip back there!

The last few times I have made pizza it has been so close to Chicago's thin crust that I think I will be giving up my search to go elsewhere and just stick to cooking them at home. Now the deep dish is a different matter! I will need to dedicate some serious time to master that pie. I probably should move this post somewhere else but I don't know how to do that.

Offline chiguy

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 10:33:39 PM »
  Chicagonative,
 As far as the recipe you posted it seems the hydration is a bit too high around 60% for a Chicago thin crust. Also the oil seems a bit too high as well at least for a thin crust.
 The key to making a good Chicago thin is the right thickness factor with a good dough formula. You have too use the right amount of dough for the specific size pizza unless you have a dough sheeter. you should consider picking up a scale to help you with your quest.         Chiguy   

Offline chicagonative

• I Love Chicago Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 11:19:26 PM »
Chiguy,

I agree with you about too much oil, I don't ever measure it - I eye it and it probably is less than what I said. I also agree with too much water but I get around it by adding flour after it proofs before I roll it out and then roll it real thin with a lot of flour on the exterior and it does mimick a sheeter somewhat.  Probably not the best way - but it has worked for me since I am so unscientific with my measurements. A scale would help me perfect my pizzas. Thanks!