Author Topic: Pizzeria Bianco  (Read 29828 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizzeria Bianco
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2010, 11:44:18 PM »
Nice write up. Even though I haven't meet him before he reminds me of a teach I had in high school. They can talk forever about their experiences about something and you love to listen to what they have to say.

scott123

« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2010, 11:49:41 PM »
So bittersweet... so so bittersweet. I want to jump for joy... and I want to cry.

When's your next flight back?  :-D

I'd be really interested to see how long he hand kneads for.  That San Gennaro video with Jimmy Kimmel- when I saw the droopy extensible quality his dough had, that's when I started rethinking how long I was kneading for cold ferments.

I would have killed to have talked to Horrachio. I betcha he knows more than a thing or two.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2010, 11:59:08 PM »
Scott, my trip was more sweet than bitter.  :-D  My wife has a girlfriend out there and wants to go back there and party it up with her in the near future, so who knows.

I also ate at POMO's and Grimaldi's.  My friend has eaten at Bianco's about 8 times.  She described the crust in much detail to me and compared it in great detail to the crust at POMO's.  I actually wasn't too disappointed in missing it this time.  There's always next time.   ;)

As far as how long he mixes for, we may never know unless someone actually nuts up and ask him.  But I can tell you this though.  You can not get a dough to oxidize like that from a few minutes of kneading. 

Yes I should have talked to Horrachio more but he was there for his paycheck I think.  And when the master was coming, Horrachio took off.  And then I was like...."oh crap, what do I ask him?!?  OK don't ask for the secret recipe...don't ask for the secret recipe."  :-D

Maybe we should start a list of questions to ask Chris Bianco next time someone meets him. lol.  You could just come to Chris as a represetative of the PM forum, that way Chris won't choke you out. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:05:28 AM by Jackie Tran »

brayshaw

« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2010, 05:51:36 AM »
What a trip Chau! 'nuts up'! ;D ;D
I am so envious! If you had to make a guesstimate..how long does he mix for? :-D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2010, 06:41:10 AM »
What a trip Chau! 'nuts up'! ;D ;D
I am so envious! If you had to make a guesstimate..how long does he mix for? :-D

:-D  You know how I love guessing Paul but even this one is too difficult to even make a close enough guess  - too many variables.   :-D  The time would really depend on the strength of flour he is using, batch size, and how long the fermentation time is.  The time can vary by quite a bit if the protein level is closer to AP versus say a BF.  Then there is the issue of batch size.  I have no idea how many pizzas he sells a night.  The bigger the batch size, the longer it will take 1 person.   Unless there are other helpers involved mixing multiple batches, it would be a time involved feat for 1 person.  If it is a same day dough, I would guess for sure that there is a long....autolyse process and maybe multiple rest periods involved.  If the dough is fermented for 24 hours, then that time again changes drastically.   
I would make a very wild guess that the protein content is somewhere between an AP and a BF though.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:28:10 AM by Jackie Tran »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2010, 09:29:17 AM »
Chau,

That was a great write-up.  ;D  I enjoyed reading every detail.  I am sure those memories of actually talking to Chris will last in your mind forever.  He really is a great man, so passionate about pizza and willing to share with others.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline MilitantSquatter

« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2010, 10:25:08 AM »
congrats on the trip and meeting...

thanks for the write-up

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2010, 06:19:44 PM »
Thanks guys and gal.  Yeah, Norma I'm gonna remember it for awhile.   Next time I talk to Chris, I'm gonna straight out and ask him for his kneading technique, times, and recipe.  I'll just be sure to talk to him over the phone instead of in person.   :-D

How did Martha Stewart get Chris' recipe?  :P
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/chris-biancos-pizza-dough
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:31:24 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2011, 03:17:38 AM »
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:19:39 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline davidcwilliams

« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2011, 06:52:15 PM »
What a great write-up of your experience.