Author Topic: Gran Gusto - Cambridge, MA  (Read 2270 times)

Offline ebpizza

Gran Gusto - Cambridge, MA
« on: December 11, 2007, 10:07:27 AM »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: Gran Gusto - Cambridge, MA
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 08:24:52 AM »
Scott.............?What's happening here?
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 05:01:34 PM »
well, I have to admit I haven't had it yet, but here is what I know.  A few months ago when the chowhounders were going nuts for this place I told some friends that are a great judge of pizza.  These people always call it like it is, basically echoing my exact reviews of angela's coal oven on rt 1, luzzo's in NY and pepe's in NH.  Their take was that it was completely drenched in olive oil to the point of them not being able to finish their pizza.  They said the crust didn't have the crispy yet soft characteristic like mine, and that they wouldn't be going back.  Actually the day after they went they begged me to make them pizza because the GG experience just made them crave mine!

I have read that they use buffalo mozzarella, and I am not afraid of extra olive oil, so don't take their word for it. You should go check it out! After Angela's I have personally given up on any pizza in the area.  I can't bring myself to do any more pizza research because I am always let down.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 05:06:29 PM by scott r »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 07:45:53 PM »
I can't bring myself to do any more pizza research because I am always let down.

Tha battle weary sentiments of a hardened trooper.I confess I agree.Thanks Scott.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 03:46:35 PM »
I finally had a chance to get to gran gusto.  They do serve a pizza with amazing toppings, including buffalo mozzarella that tastes very fresh.  I got the spicy salami pizza and it did seem like they were using an imported italian variety.  This must hike the food costs up quite high for the owners, but what an amazing treat for us pizza lovers!   Although it is not really pepperoni, this is definitely the best pepperoni pizza you can get in Boston and it is worth ordering. Unfortunately the crust and the sauce didn't match up to the high quality cheese and salami. 

My pizza was supposed to have sauce on it, but I couldn't detect any flavor from it at all. I know the salami was overpowering things a bit, but there still should be a bit of freshness coming from the tomato on any sauced pizza.   

I could tell the oven was not running very hot.  I wasn't able to time the pizza, but my guess is that it was probably a 4 minute pie.  They also bake many of the meat dishes from other parts of the menu in the wood burning oven, so there is no way it can be up to the temps of a real neapolitan oven.  I quite enjoy 4 minute pizzas, especially at a number of the coal fired pizzerias of NY and Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix, but unfortunately the crust here just wasn't very exciting. It was obviously made with bromated flour, which is a good thing because of the low temps they are using, but a bad thing for our health.  If they had been using a real neapolitan flour like caputo in an oven at these temps the pizza would have been too dense and cardboardy, so at least they have matched their flour to their oven.  I have certainly been to my share of pizzerias around the country that have a mismatch, and that can be disasterous.  Unfortunately bromated flour used in a wood burning oven always seems to produce a crust that lacks character, and that was the case here. 

Gran Gusto is the closest thing to neapolitan pizza I have found around Boston, and I would rate the pizza even with Angelina's coal oven pizza in saugus in terms of overall quality. It was a nice place to get a pie, but certainly not authentic neapolitan, or even close to the better NYC pizzerias. If they could dedicate their oven to pizzas and crank it up they could switch to a better flour and really have an authentic Neapolitan product.  Unfortunately for me Neapoitan pizza is about the dough first and foremost, so I don't think I will be heading back for the pizza any time soon.  I would like to go back and try their pastas and other dishes. Just from the look of the menu and the staff I have a feeling this might be the best place to get italian cuisine in Cambridge.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:28:17 PM by scott r »

Offline EdF

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 03:07:40 PM »
I still wish you would try out Ponte Vecchio in Danvers, just off of 95 at the Topsfield Rt 1 exit.  As far as I'm concerned it's the best in easy striking distance from where I am (Ipswich). Certainly not Neapolitan style, but in there with NY/NH.

http://www.pontevecchiodanvers.com/

- Ed

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »
Sorry ed, I forgot about that one.  I will be recording at a studio in Lynn this month, so it shouldn't be too hard to make my way over there to try it.  Anything else on the menu that you can recommend?

Offline EdF

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 04:03:29 PM »
Sorry ed, I forgot about that one.  I will be recording at a studio in Lynn this month, so it shouldn't be too hard to make my way over there to try it.  Anything else on the menu that you can recommend?

The appetizers are good.  Been a while since I've had one, though.  The entrees are of managable size, and most of them are pretty good or better, if memory serves.