Author Topic: FAKE OLIVE OIL  (Read 351 times)

Offline petef

FAKE OLIVE OIL
« on: March 01, 2015, 07:26:14 PM »
Fake Olive Oil: What You Need To Know
http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/12300-is-your-olive-oil-lying-about-its-virginity.html

Excerpt...

Extra Virgin Oil Frauds

The term “virgin” when applied to olive oil doesn’t mean quality. There are four levels of virgin olive oil. The lowest grade of virgin olive oil is not fit for human consumption and designated for “other” uses, like making soap.

The top of the line olive oil is extra virgin. This means it’s cold-pressed so the temperature during processing hasn’t exceed 86 degrees Fahrenheit.(2) It’s also supposed to meet high standards of acidity and taste.

Independent tests at the University of California found that 69% of all store-bought extra virgin olive oils in the US are probably fake.(3) This study reported that the following brands failed to meet extra virgin olive oil standards:

Bertolli
        Carapelli
        Colavita
        Filippo Berio
        Mazzola
        Mezzetta
        Newman’s Own
        Safeway
        Star
        Whole Foods

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: FAKE OLIVE OIL
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 10:21:01 PM »
usda doesn't check quality of this product?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline petef

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 12:58:13 AM »
usda doesn't check quality of this product?

Excerpt from same article...

Editor’s Note: We were recently contacted by the maker’s of Pompeian Olive Oil who informed us that their brand “ is not only the first branded olive oils to carry the North American Olive Oil Association (NAOOA) seal, but since 2012, Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the first extra virgin olive oil to attain the USDA Quality Monitored Seal.” Please consider this when making purchase decisions.

Offline petef

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 01:08:02 AM »
The article also lists the following brands as being true extra virgin olive oils...

Corto Olive
        California Olive Ranch
        Kirkland Organic
        Lucero (Ascolano)
        McEvoy Ranch Organic
        Pompeian????

Does anyone know whether any of these brands above come in non-plastic containers?
Anyone have a favorite above for use on pizza?

But I have another concern which is olive oils that come in plastic containers vs glass containers. Bertolli was the olive oil I've used for years, and recently they switched from glass to plastic containers which made me consider changing brands. Now with this FAKE olive oil issue, I'm definitely ready to change brands.

EDIT: I'/m not sure about Pompeian. I'm reading conflicting info amongst the many articles I found online.

---pete---
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:49:55 AM by petef »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 06:44:35 AM »
california olive ranch is in glass and I think Kirkland is too
Deb

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 09:09:25 AM »
The article also lists the following brands as being true extra virgin olive oils...

Corto Olive
        California Olive Ranch
        Kirkland Organic
        Lucero (Ascolano)
        McEvoy Ranch Organic
        Pompeian????

Does anyone know whether any of these brands above come in non-plastic containers?
Anyone have a favorite above for use on pizza?

But I have another concern which is olive oils that come in plastic containers vs glass containers. Bertolli was the olive oil I've used for years, and recently they switched from glass to plastic containers which made me consider changing brands. Now with this FAKE olive oil issue, I'm definitely ready to change brands.

EDIT: I'/m not sure about Pompeian. I'm reading conflicting info amongst the many articles I found online.

---pete---

Pompeian comes is glass or plastic (and I think metal too) depending on the size you get. To me it tastes really good, has a middle-of the road flavor that works on pretty much everything, and is dirt cheap in large containers. Personally, I think it's the best value in EVOO period. I've never tried anything that even comes close to it in value for an everyday EVOO. I use it on pretty much everything except NP where I use San Damiano or Partana (nboth much less green and more buttery).
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 12:53:47 PM »
Excerpt from same article...

Editor’s Note: We were recently contacted by the maker’s of Pompeian Olive Oil who informed us that their brand “ is not only the first branded olive oils to carry the North American Olive Oil Association (NAOOA) seal, but since 2012, Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the first extra virgin olive oil to attain the USDA Quality Monitored Seal.” Please consider this when making purchase decisions.

Ok, I'll rephrase that....USDA doesn't check the "authenticity" of "extra virgin" olive oil?

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough!
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 01:02:56 PM »
Fake Olive Oil: What You Need To Know
http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/12300-is-your-olive-oil-lying-about-its-virginity.html

Excerpt...

Extra Virgin Oil Frauds

The term “virgin” when applied to olive oil doesn’t mean quality. There are four levels of virgin olive oil. The lowest grade of virgin olive oil is not fit for human consumption and designated for “other” uses, like making soap.

The top of the line olive oil is extra virgin. This means it’s cold-pressed so the temperature during processing hasn’t exceed 86 degrees Fahrenheit.(2) It’s also supposed to meet high standards of acidity and taste.

Independent tests at the University of California found that 69% of all store-bought extra virgin olive oils in the US are probably fake.(3) This study reported that the following brands failed to meet extra virgin olive oil standards:

Bertolli
        Carapelli
        Colavita
        Filippo Berio
        Mazzola
        Mezzetta
        Newman’s Own
        Safeway
        Star
        Whole Foods

If its a fake, what exactly is being provided?
Carl

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 01:19:34 PM »
If its a fake, what exactly is being provided?
Read the article Carl.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 01:21:18 PM »
  Ok, I'll rephrase that....USDA doesn't check the "authenticity" of "extra virgin" olive oil?

I think compliance with USDA olive oil standards is voluntary. If you want  the USDA to come in and grade/certify your product, you have to pay them to do it. This doesn't mean it's OK to lie about it, there are truth in label lies that the FDA could possibly enforce. The USDA is not an enforcement agency.  It's still not cut and dried though; the FDA doesn't have any specific rules about olive oil labeling and what certain words mean with respect to quality.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:50:15 PM »
OK, I know nothing about bringing a product to market.

So let's say I want to sell extra virgin olive oil at my friends quick mart......can I put grape juice in a can and write Bob's Extra Good Extra Virgin Olive Oil on it, stick it on a shelf, and become a millionaire and there is no one to tell me I can't do that?

How come meat gets inspected? Didn't that report say that some of the fake evoo can be dangerous?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:15:34 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 02:17:32 PM »
OK, I know nothing about bringing a product to market.

So let's say I want to sell extra virgin olive oil at my friends quick mart......can I put grape juice in a can and write Bob's Extra Good Extra Virgin Olive Oil on it, stick it on a shelf, and become a millionaire and there is no one to tell me I can't do that?

How come meat gets inspected?

There are probably state laws where you live that prevent you from doing that, and the FDA - if alerted to it - might come in and hit you with a truth in labeling action. The main reason it wouldn't work however  is that grape juice doesn't look or taste like olive oil.  ;D

Meat doesn't have to be USDA inspected at all if it doesn't cross state lines. Even if it does cross state lines, it only has to be inspected for wholesomeness. Quality grading (Prime, Choice, etc.) is purely optional, and you have to pay them to do it.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 05:07:52 PM »
My favorite brand of olive oil is California Olive Ranch, and especially their Limited Reserve EVOO that comes out in November. It is a pricey olive oil but they have special deals starting in November and sometimes carrying into the next year. I especially like the freshness and natural olive flavor of the Limited Reserve. I have seen other California Olive Ranch olive oils in the supermarkets (notably, Wal-Mart's) but not the Limited Reserve. All of the California Olive Ranch olive oils come in dark green glass bottles with the harvest date (month and year) noted on the labels. I only have the Limited Reserve on hand at the moment, but the label on that bottle recommends that the oil be consumed within nine months from the harvest date.

Today I got an email from California Olive Ranch that featured an article discussing how California Pizza Kitchen is using the California Olive Ranch olive oil. The article can be seen at http://consumers.californiaoliveranch.com/2015/03/02/california-pizza-kitchens-chef-brian-sullivan-deems. I routinely get other emails from California Olive Ranch featuring articles and recipes using their oils as well as articles touting the health benefits of olive oils in general.

Peter

Offline treydawgmt

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 11:46:10 PM »
America does not follow many labeling standards the rest of the world follows. In the rest of the world if you sell champagne it must be the product that comes from the grapes grown in Champagne, France and meets specific and rigorous standards. Not so in America. You can buy "champagne" from California, etc. Same deal with olive oil and the like.

Online steelplayer

• Supporting Member
    • wailuaveggie
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 11:56:52 PM »
America does not follow many labeling standards the rest of the world follows. In the rest of the world if you sell champagne it must be the product that comes from the grapes grown in Champagne, France and meets specific and rigorous standards. Not so in America. You can buy "champagne" from California, etc. Same deal with olive oil and the like.
The champagne thing is a little different... when France decided to protect the name of wines produced in the Champagne region the U.S. was under Prohibition.  The assumption was that would prevent wine from ever being produced in the U.S., so no protection was sought... Whoops :-D
Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:34:45 AM »

That is not exactly correct. For one thing, is only allowable to use the word "Champagne" on the label at all if the winery made the wine prior to 2006. And, if also allowed by state law (some states like Oregon don't allow it at all) the label has to include the origin, for example "California Champagne." The origin name must proceed "Champagne" on the label, and it has to be equally conspicuous.

There are protected geographic designations in the us such as wine AVAs and that established for Vidalia Onions.

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough!
« Reply #16 on: Today at 01:01:05 PM »
Read the article Carl.
I did. Can't seem to find it. I would guess it's somewhere in between the real EVOO and the lowest grade
Carl

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:23:11 PM »
I did. Can't seem to find it. I would guess it's somewhere in between the real EVOO and the lowest grade
Sorry, I guess I don't understand your question. "If it's fake what exactly is being provided?"

From the article.....                           " How do you fake olive oil? Olive oil can be diluted with poor quality oils or sometimes there is no real olive oil at all. Cheap and unhealthy soy or canola oils are colored with industrial chlorophyll and flavored with artificial flavorings. Yum. - See more at: http://cdn.eatlocalgrown.com/10-fake-olive-oil.html#sthash.SKoxrE35.dpuf"

If you mean what brands are being provided.....then I suppose the way the article is written one would assume the "bad" oils would be the one's out there that are not on the provided "good" list?
« Last Edit: Today at 01:25:04 PM by Chicago Bob »