Author Topic: Caputo Pizza Flour in Canada  (Read 990 times)

Offline PeterDk

• I Love Pizza!
Caputo Pizza Flour in Canada
« on: December 22, 2014, 12:08:27 PM »
Trying to dig up a recent post on this topic but haven't come across anything.

Those of us in Canada are having a hard time finding Caputo 00 Pizza Four (small red flour bag). Over the last 2 yrs I've made several orders from Valoroso Foods in BC. I'd say 4 orders over that time and of those 4 orders 3 were completely bungled and/or damaged. They do not like to return your funds or 'fix' the order- so use at your own risk!

Being in Ontario I have searched high & low for someplace in Ontario that will supply the Caputo 00 Pizza flour. I have being calling every week or so to Longos in Aurora and as of last week (December 19, 2014) I was advised they will no longer be stocking it.
Unfortunately Caputo Canada no longer exists either - as far as I can tell. The web site that was noted in another post does not work. Perhaps this coincides with the decision by Longos to no longer stock the flour.

I did manage to try Caputo 00 Pizza flour, and really liked it. I'm hoping to get some advice on where I might find some - preferably in the Ontario market, or what other types of 'high heat' flours others would recommend.

thanks very much.
PizzaPete

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
Re: Caputo Pizza Flour in Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 07:16:25 PM »
MVR Cash & Carry in North York stocks Caputo & 5 Stagioni.

Matt

Offline Whiskyb

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 09:59:10 AM »
Will they sell to the public or just commercial. There website states no public sales

Offline PeterDk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 10:57:36 AM »
Yes, interesting. They promote themselves like a typical grocery store but the web site says no public sales. I'll have to check them out when I'm down that way, but it would be good to know more. Hopefully there are other locations that sell Caputo flour as well.

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 02:44:39 PM »
Will they sell to the public or just commercial. There website states no public sales

Yes; just set up an account under your name.

Matt

Offline Whiskyb

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 02:52:14 PM »
Thats great news, If your stuck for flour in barrie I have been getting the large bags of Robin Hood pizza flour at the wholesale club store in Barries south end

Offline PeterDk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 09:46:08 AM »
Thanks to both of you. I'll certainly give MVR a try when I'm down that way.
I didn't realize Robin Hood has 'pizza flour'? I just looked on their web site and didn't see it listed.
As mentioned earlier, I've tried the Caputo 00 general flour but found it didn't work too well on my high heat setup. How did you find the Robin Hood flour? Is there any info about it?

thanks again,
Peter

Offline baugie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 11:24:38 AM »
Thanks to both of you. I'll certainly give MVR a try when I'm down that way.
I didn't realize Robin Hood has 'pizza flour'? I just looked on their web site and didn't see it listed.
As mentioned earlier, I've tried the Caputo 00 general flour but found it didn't work too well on my high heat setup. How did you find the Robin Hood flour? Is there any info about it?

thanks again,
Peter

Check "Ardent Mills" site...  http://ardentmills.ca/products.html  click products tab.
Also, Costco Wholesale carries the "Creative Baker" brand flour manufactured by Horizon Milling in Brampton, ON..... http://www.cargill.ca/en/products-services/flour-milling/
see nutrition label here... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/creative-baker-all-purpose-flour-45205874

Offline Whiskyb

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 08:50:45 AM »
Some information from the bag. It is milled by Horizon milling G.P. in Brampton. Its a 20kg bag
Nutrition info/100g

Calories 348
fat 1.1
saturated0.2
trans0
carbohydrates 71.4
fiber 2.7
protein 13.0
calcium 13.1
iron 3.5

horizonmilling.ca

I dont have much experience with any other flour personally. I try to be consistent in each pie so I have not switched thing up very much.

Offline sajata

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 12:26:04 PM »
You can also get it on Amazon. In 1kg bags. 10 bags per pack.

Offline PeterDk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 04:29:46 PM »
The Robin Hood/Ardent Mills is very interesting. I"ll have to look into it further.
The Amazon.ca price for the Caputo flour is a whopping $162 for four 1kg bags. Yea.... what a laugh. I can drive to the US border for less than that and buy it.  8)
I will try MVR when I get a chance.
Thanks to all !

Peter

Offline gwertheim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 05:09:49 PM »
Lady York in Toronto and Grande Cheese also in Toronto has some great dough i've been using since day one