Author Topic: GFS Store vs Restaurant Depot vs Clubs vs Sysco/US Foods  (Read 212 times)

Offline myside88

• I Love Pizza!
GFS Store vs Restaurant Depot vs Clubs vs Sysco/US Foods
« on: July 17, 2016, 10:55:49 PM »
hi

I am masters student working on foodservice industry project. the project is to compare the "cash & carry" channels to restaurants. I am looking for your opinions on each of these cash & carry outlets in terms of-:

price
selection
convenience
minimum orders
service from sales rep etc.

I am new to this whole industry, and would love to have your opinions on why & how you choose these channels.

appreciate your support and opinions.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: GFS Store vs Restaurant Depot vs Clubs vs Sysco/US Foods
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 11:32:40 PM »
You might also want to post your question on the Think Tank at the PMQ (Pizza Marketing Quarterly) web site <www.pmq.com> which is visited mostly by pizzeria operators.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline boalpd

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 07:21:42 AM »
The GFS Marketplace store allows me, the home pizza maker, to obtain bulk quantities of the premium brand ingredients not available in supermarkets.
Phil

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 05:37:35 PM »
I use a couple of different cash and carry stores for ingredients in the Boston area:

• Perkins (GFS) - Pro:  I can get anything in their warehouse as long as I show up at least an hour before closing.  If I'm late I can only get what is on the shelf.  Con:  They don't carry GM flour or a lot of different cheeses, mostly Serrento
  • Supreme Dairy (local to northern RI) - Pro:  Can get AT in a 25# bag for about $10-$11, great selection of cheese.  Con:  I can only get what is on the shelf unless I call ahead and they have it pulled from the warehouse already

The prices are excellent in both places and I make enough pizza or other Italian food that there is not a lot of waste (my in-laws were born in Italy so it's easy to use a lot of tomatoes and cheese  :))

Let me know if you have specific questions and I'll try to answer them.

Let me know if you have

Offline myside88

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 11:48:54 PM »
thanks for the responses.

is there a "minimum order" purchase bar from Sysco/us foods? is that one of the major reasons that a lot of restaurants would buy from "cash & carry" ?

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 09:50:31 AM »
thanks for the responses.

is there a "minimum order" purchase bar from Sysco/us foods? is that one of the major reasons that a lot of restaurants would buy from "cash & carry" ?

I don't know about Sysco, but for Perkins/GFS a lot of small business or caterers seem to use the cash & carry store.  My guess is that it is either a minimum order or delivery charge that makes it uneconomical to have a delivery made directly to the shop.