Author Topic: Dawn Foods, Garland, Texas KASL  (Read 81 times)

Offline woozy

• I Love Pizza!
Dawn Foods, Garland, Texas KASL
« on: August 18, 2014, 05:42:52 PM »
The only flour I've ever used for pizza is Caputo red package.

Dawn Foods has 50 lb bags of King Arthur Sir Lancelot for "around" $13.00 , but their minimum is $75.00. I think I can find some people to split an order, but...am I spoiled by the Caputo?

Opinions appreciated.

Online TXCraig1

Re: Dawn Foods, Garland, Texas KASL
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 06:49:39 PM »
Forgetting about cake flour, it would be hard to find two flours that are more different.

For the vast majority of people, neither is the best choice for pizza.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline woozy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:09:07 PM »
Sorry, I don't get it. They are talking about the Caputo Red that I use just a few threads down...

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:03:29 PM »
Caputo "red" could mean two things - Caputo Chef's flour in the 1Kg red bag or Caputo Rinforzata. Whichever the case, the Caputo 00 flour is rather different than KASL.

For most people, neither is a particularly good choice for pizza. If you have a WFO or other way to bake at temperatures in excess of 850F, the Caputo is a good choice. In lower temperature ovens, it doesn't brown well. KASL really isn't a good flour for any type of pizza, IMO.
Pizza is not bread.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:17:13 PM »
The KASL flour is one of the few choices available where one is looking for a high-gluten flour that is unbromated. However, before committing to a 50-lb bag, it might be worth buying a small bag (from KA) and testing it out. High-gluten flours are predominantly used to make NY style pizzas (and things like bagels). There are arguably better flours with lower protein content than KASL but those flours at the professional level are mostly bromated.

Peter

pizzapan