Author Topic: Yeast?????  (Read 7817 times)

stock

Re:Yeast?????
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2004, 10:47:12 AM »
do those of you who use active dry yeast usually proof it first?  i started just throwing my red star active dry yeast in with the dry ingredients, and i can't tell if there is a difference or not in the end result.
-scott
*edit* i need to learn to spell my name correctly, it seems
*edit again* people are 'who's and not 'that's
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 02:18:57 PM by stock »

Pizzacko

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2004, 06:22:52 PM »
Fleishmans Active dry yeast....man does it ever take a long time to dissolve

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2004, 12:22:21 AM »
do those of you who use active dry yeast usually proof it first?  i started just throwing my red star active dry yeast in with the dry ingredients, and i can't tell if there is a difference or not in the end result.
-scott

No.  You should add it in midway through the mixing process (after adding everything else first) specially if you use ice (or cold water) in your dough.  

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2004, 05:42:59 AM »
Road pizza what is the deal on the ice?

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2004, 07:51:22 AM »
Road pizza what is the deal on the ice?

Sorry. . .I'm just used to making dough for the next day's use.  Even the same day (or emergency) dough that I'm used to making has ice to retard the yeast a little.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 08:02:05 AM by RoadPizza »

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2004, 03:54:30 PM »
that's something that Tom Lehmann also refered to a few times. I'm not sure though anymore when or where I read that. Maybe Steve does?

Pierre

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2004, 05:50:28 PM »
For the most part, if you're going to make dough for a busy restaurant, you'll need to have ice in your mixture to retard the yeast.  You'll also need a back-up recipe for a dough mixture without ice just in case you miscalculate and run out of dough.

Why?  Because it gives you more time to deal with it.

If you don't use ice, you'll end up making x amount of batches (and if you expect to make a lot of pizzas and money, that's a lot of batches).  It will also make sense to make the dough in one sitting (one batch after another to save on labor cost because you don't want to keep pulling someone from the front line throughout the day because you're running out of dough).  Without ice, the dough you make now will probably only last you through the day - otherwise, it will overproof and you'll lose money.  With ice, you can store it longer and take the individual trays out a couple of hours before you need to use them.