Author Topic: What's wrong with my PAN pizza??  (Read 4515 times)

Offline denis_sianto

• I Love Pizza!
What's wrong with my PAN pizza??
« on: September 14, 2006, 04:28:39 PM »
Whats wrong with this pan pizza ?
i need helppp....
1. Why does it have small white ugly dots all over the crust? How do i remove them? is it because im using baking powder?
2. is that white dots what you pizza guys call blisters?
3. why do my pizza crusts looks so thick? is it because of over fermented? i used 'low sugar' yeast in my recipe and it rises much faster
4. why do my pizza have a very dry tops (crust and topping) ? is it because of conveyor oven? i live in all-year summer area
5. why do my pizza toppings look HORRIBLE (sauce and mozzarella cheese)? they look more like bacteria than toppings to me
6. how come you guys make pizza with the same cheese with me but not getting that bubbly brown cheese like mine?
7. how to make the colour of my melted cheese colour golden yellow, not brown 'dry' bubble like mine?
8. how to make my pan pizzas looks more appetizing? those pizza i made looks yuck!
9. is it possible to make a good new-york style pizza or california-style pizza with a conveyor oven?
10. is it good to use bread improver for pizza dough? i use about 1 to 2 percent in my formulation

i use middleby marshall conveyor oven. i wonder if anyone can tell me the best temperature-time setting, and its "Bias" setting?

thank you very much,

Denis
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 01:11:21 AM by denis_sianto »

Offline SteveVit

• Supporting Member
    • Yo!
Re: What's wrong with my pan pizza??
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 11:14:01 PM »

Holy cow! I've never seen anything like it! I would keep it simple, forget the baking soda, sugar and any other unnecessary ingredients.

You'll have to knead your dough and it might be a good idea to use some tomato sauce on your pizza.

Dang!! That is the fluffiest pizza I ever saw.  :o

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Offline SteveVit

• Supporting Member
    • Yo!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 11:40:12 PM »
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2790.0.html

I would try this recipe - it's easy and works very well.

i live in all-year summer area

Where are you from?

is it because of conveyor oven?

How hot is your oven?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Offline denis_sianto

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 12:46:59 AM »
i live in Singapore...
Yes! I used a tomato sauce in my pizza... observe 'red' sauce in the third picture...
my conveyor oven temp 473 F  - 7 minutes .... is that okay?

please someone help me with my questions..

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
Re: What's wrong with my PAN pizza??
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 06:58:46 AM »
Whats wrong with this pan pizza ?
i need helppp....
1. Why does it have small white ugly dots all over the crust? How do i remove them? is it because im using baking powder?
2. is that white dots what you pizza guys call blisters?
3. why do my pizza crusts looks so thick? is it because of over fermented? i used 'low sugar' yeast in my recipe and it rises much faster
4. why do my pizza have a very dry tops (crust and topping) ? is it because of conveyor oven? i live in all-year summer area
5. why do my pizza toppings look HORRIBLE (sauce and mozzarella cheese)? they look more like bacteria than toppings to me
6. how come you guys make pizza with the same cheese with me but not getting that bubbly brown cheese like mine?
7. how to make the colour of my melted cheese colour golden yellow, not brown 'dry' bubble like mine?
8. how to make my pan pizzas looks more appetizing? those pizza i made looks yuck!
9. is it possible to make a good new-york style pizza or california-style pizza with a conveyor oven?
10. is it good to use bread improver for pizza dough? i use about 1 to 2 percent in my formulation

i use middleby marshall conveyor oven. i wonder if anyone can tell me the best temperature-time setting, and its "Bias" setting?

thank you very much,

Denis

I would stay with a simple recipe for dough.The crust will only be as thick as you roll it out. Don't let it sit and rise in the pan. As for the brown top, there seems to be too much heat coming from the top. Also, use more sauce.

Offline denis_sianto

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 02:33:43 AM »
Anyone knows if there are any differences between using normal instant dry yeast, and 'low-sugar' instant dry yeast?
Some baker suggest me that if my sugar percent in my dough recipe is below 20%, than I should use 'low-sugar' instant dry yeast for the recipe,
because it will rise faster.  When I tested it, it is true that the dough rise faster by about 1 1/2 than normal, but I wonder if the dough taste the same if it raise faster with if it raise normally?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 09:47:03 AM »
A slow rise should taste better.  That's why many of use prefer to put the dough in the fridge for a few days to really slow it down.  It is also possible to do a very slow room temperature fermentation by using a tiny amount of yeast.

Offline buzz

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 10:26:59 AM »
Your crust poofs up like that because of the baking powder--don't use it. Make your pizzas with flour, water, oil, sugar, salt, and yeast--that's it. Follow the directions on your yeast package exactly. Take the time to read through various posts on this site and try other peoples' recipes exactly!

Figure out the exact length of time your pizza needs to cook--then cook it covered with aluminum foil for the first half of that time and uncovered for the last half--that should solve your browning problem.

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 08:29:54 AM »
I've never seen any dough recipe that calls for baking powder. That's why you use yeast and let it work it's magic. Save the baking powder for cakes. It also looks like you baked the 'crust' before you placed the 'toppings' on it. Also stick with IDY, none of that 'low sugar' stuff (I've never seen this stuff).

I forgot I'm in the American Style forum.

Pizza stones are your friends.......

Offline jordanzimmerman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 07:10:34 PM »
Here's a great pan pizza recipe that I make all the time:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2014.msg17782.html
Jordan Zimmerman
http://www.shop.com