Author Topic: Pizza Shark is on good behavior sharing (while looking for) more secrets...  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Pizza Shark

• I Love Pizza!
I said I would share my best and that is what I will do.  I shared Pizzaria "R"'s recipe and as I responded to some here in private Pizzaria "R" really does't make a graet pie.  C'mon now.. they use canned Stanislaus sauce, Hormel bagged pepperoni, flash-frozen sausage bits... I just wanted to share with you how they made their pizza.  How it gets Best of Boston every year.. I have no Idea.

Well, some here said that I made a pizza that was a wanna-be Papa Johns.  From the phots I can understand why. So, I am pullng out all the stops, sharing every single secret I know and perhaps I won't get booted from the forum when my mouth gets away from me.

Here we go... Lotsa secrets to share and I'll place them here and there to keep to keep ya interested.  Here are 2 secrets 

#1)  When cooking in a gas fired oven at home place your stone on the floor for maximum heat, since I moved I don't have that ole gas fired oven and my pizza is lacking the high temp bake.  So, in my electric I preheat at 550 for an hour and then move the stone to the top rack and broil it for an extra 15 minutes with the minimal opening my oven will allow for broiling before shutting off.  You'll hit 600-650 on that stone without much trouble but please don't tamper with your oven's thermostats as others here have talked about to achieve 750-800 degrees.  If you burn your house down you are not gonna be happy... take it from someone who has had a few kitchen fires.  Before you tamper with the thermostats in your oven go buy a backyard wood or coal burning oven for $3- $5K.. its far cheaper than losing everything you own.

#2)  Canned vs: fresh sauce.  Well, pizzarias have been uding canned tomato base for a long time.  The question we all ask is "Why can't we make it"  it comes from a can.  Well, the fact is you can make it.  At Pizzaria "R" We bought our sauce from Stanislause and it was under "Proprietary Pack".  That means we gave them a recipe and they ran thousands of gallons through the processing and canned it.  So, I am still wondering... what the heck is the big deal?  I grabbed some cans and looked at the ingredients and all I saw was Tomatoes, salt, Oregano, Citric Acid.  Then it occurred to me... It's the Citric Acid.  When tomatoes are processed all the acid is pulled out of them prior to caning. WHy would you add citric acid to tomatoes?  Well... if you've ever tasted pizza sauce sitting in the prep station it has a really sharp bite to it.. because it is loaded with citric acid after the primary processing that pulls most of it out.  THis is why tomato sauce recipes often have Lemon Juice added at the last minuite.. they are boosting that acidity again and fresh tomato taste. 

In short, If ya want to get that pizzaria sauce taste from a can go buy yourself some Pure powered citric acid.  They all have it loaded after heat processing.  Why ya think ya get heartburn after eating that great pizza?  It is loaded with it but ya just don't know it.  Add 1/4 tsp of pure citric acid to your sauce for one pie made from canned tomatoes and you'll be amazed.  Just have some Tumms around for dessert!

Best to ya.. My sauce is on the stove and I am gona share with all of ya my very best loaded with photos and specific instructions.   

Offline SteveVit

• Supporting Member
    • Yo!
Re: Pizza Shark is on good behavior sharing (while looking for) more secrets...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 10:50:57 PM »
[You'll hit 600-650 on that stone without much trouble but please don't tamper with your oven's thermostats as others here have talked about to achieve 750-800 degrees.  If you burn your house down you are not gonna be happy... take it from someone who has had a few kitchen fires

What's the difference between a fire started at 650 degrees vs a fire started at 750 degrees?

As far as I'm concerned it's not all that different. Clean cycle ovens are very well insulated and designed for temperatures in the 900 degree range.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 10:52:41 PM by SteveVit »
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

pizzapan