Author Topic: ? about modifying recipe for higher temps.  (Read 1255 times)

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
? about modifying recipe for higher temps.
« on: September 15, 2006, 01:47:22 AM »
I don't have my exact recipe here, but it contains roughly 1 Tablespoon of honey, 1 Tablespoon of kosher salt, and 2 Tablespoons of oil, in addition to high gluten flour, ~ 63% water, and a tsp of IDY. This works well in my home oven at around 500. If I try cooking at, say, 800, can I just cut the amount of honey in half to prevent burning? Or will I need to increase or decrease the amount of any of the other ingredients as well?

Thanks,

Steve

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: ? about modifying recipe for higher temps.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 12:10:22 PM »
Steve,

The conventional advice when using such high bake temperatures is to omit the sugar (which includes honey) altogether from the dough. You might try using say, 1% honey, by weight of flour, and see if that works in the context of your total bake time. FYI, one tablespoon of honey weighs around 0.74 oz., so using that number in relation to the weight of flour you are now using should tell you where you are from a baker's percent standpoint.

You might also get around the sugar problem somewhat if you bake the pizza on a pizza screen, even if it is placed on a deck surface. The screen serves as a barrier between the unbaked pizza and the deck surface and helps reduce overbrowning of the bottom crust. You might even double up on the screens (that is, use two screens superimposed on each other).

You might even find that if your pizza bakes really fast, the honey may not have enough time to lead to excessive browning.

Peter

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 05:59:57 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Pete. I guess my question has more to do with the other ingredients in my pizza. Do I need to make any adjustments to the other ingredients if I reduce or omit the honey? Should I use less or more yeast? The same with the salt. Or can everything else stay the same?

Thanks,

Steve

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 07:05:53 PM »
You might want to just do away with the honey, and possibly even the oil, but keep everything else the same for now.

I have found that if I have even a little sugar in my high temp pies I get a burned bottom while the inside of the pizza is not quite finished.

I think the big change you are going to need to make is in your toppings, not necessarily your crust.  Everything has a much shorter amount of time to cook up there if you are doing two minute pies.  You would think the higher heat would sear everything, but that is not necessarily the case.   I tend to par cook many of my toppings and use a thicker sauce.   At high temps I caramelize my onions, roast my garlic, roast my fresh tomatoes (and often use them to make my sauce), etc.  If I do put sausage on uncooked I make sure to use really small pieces so that they can cook through.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 10:01:12 AM »
Steve,

You could reduce the yeast a bit but I don't know that it is all that necessary.

Peter

pizzapan