Author Topic: Caputo vs. Guistos Hi-Gluten - High Temp Bake  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Caputo vs. Guistos Hi-Gluten - High Temp Bake
« on: September 16, 2006, 09:43:35 AM »
Based on suggestions for Scott and others, I decided to try a hi-gluten flour for my Neapolitan-style dough. I prepared two identical batches: 64% hydration, Camaldoli starter, 2.5% salt, but one had Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour and the other had Giustos Hi-Gluten. After a 6 hour room-temp rise they were both placed in the refrigerator to retard for 2 1/2 days.

I just divided them up into 300g balls and they will proof  for 5 hours at room temp. I'll be baking them up for lunch today and we'll see what differences, if any are noted. Scott suggests that the Hi-gluten one might be lighter.

What I've noted already:

1) The Hi-gluten dough rose a little more than the Caputo (see photo below).
2) As expected the Hi-Gluten dough was noticeably firmer and less sticky

Bill/SFNM

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
Re: Caputo vs. Guistos Hi-Gluten - High Temp Bake
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 11:53:01 AM »
I know that there is a desire to do a direct comparison, so you want to keep the differences down. But caputo does not absorb as much water as a high gluten will so that kind of throws off the comparison somewhat. It might be more realistic to try each flour at various hydrations, determine the best for each and then run a side by side comparing each flour's best formula. 
This is one of the reasons I prefer to go on feel rather than strict percentages.

Also, giving each the same amount of rise time might not be ideal for each because each may reach it's optimum rise size at a different time. 

Therefore we need to set up a test kitchen and test every variable know to man kind.

;-)

Jeff
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 11:55:28 AM by varasano »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 12:39:22 PM »
Gotta start somewhere. Hopefully I will gain some infomation from this test to help me decide what test to do next.  Every batch I do is a new test - tweaking one thing or another to help me learn how these different factors influence the final product. We eat our mistakes.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 06:20:13 PM »
OK, the pies have been baked and devoured and the results are in. The pies were all among the best I've ever made, but the tomatoes must get most of the credit. The San Marzanos from my garden are at their peak. Just chopped, lightly seasoned, and sprinkled over the crust - a truly bright tomato flavor that brought out the best flavor of the crust.

Regarding which was the better crust, Caputo or Giustos, the results are not clearcut. In fact, the first two pizzas out of the oven, one made with Caputo and the other made with Giustos were judged to be the best, perhaps because the oven was the hottest for those pies. The Giustos dough was not as soft and was harder to stretch out than the Caputo. The Giustos pie shown in the picture below puffed up a great deal, but I think that is because I didn't stretch it out as much so the dough was thicker to start with.

Any way, the concensus was that the Caputo baked very hot (990F) was the best. I'll want to do a lot more testing because all of the pies were splendid.

Bill/SFNM

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 06:55:47 PM »
cool, your off to a great start.

You could try upping the hydration about 3 percent on the guisto to even things out a little.  That is about where I need to take the KASL for a similar feeling hydration.   

I too prefer the caputo to the high gluten flour, but it is fun to see all the differences between these flours and even combine for a custom feel.  I wish I was there to try your beautiful pies and those san marzanos!  I can't even imagine what a fresh SM would be like on pizza.  I am drooling.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 07:27:38 PM »
I wish I was there to try your beautiful pies and those san marzanos!  I can't even imagine what a fresh SM would be like on pizza.  I am drooling.

Thanks, Scott. The San Marzanos gave the pies a flavor as close as I can recall to the ones I've eaten in Naples. I'm really spoiled now and am not looking forward to the day soon when I'll have to use canned tomatoes. Actually, I've been drying tomatoes and storing them in olive oil in the refrigerator. I did toss a few of these onto one of the pies today. Really good.

Bill/SFNM

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 07:34:02 PM »
Maybe its time to bite the bullet and move up to the San Genaro canned tomatoes.  I know I have been thinking about doing it.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 07:42:38 PM »
Maybe its time to bite the bullet and move up to the San Genaro canned tomatoes.  I know I have been thinking about doing it.

I've seen these for about $9 per can, but never tried them. Are they that good?

Bill/SFNM

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 09:26:55 PM »
Bill, I haven't tried them because I don't want to fall in love.

Are they really that good?

Well, has Marco ever been wrong about anything?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 09:39:50 PM »
I forgot to mention that in addition to the high gluten flour needing a different hydration and a longer fermentation to keep things equal,  you should also mix it for a shorter time.

pizzapan