Author Topic: What's your favorite Purée ?  (Read 166 times)

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
What's your favorite Purée ?
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:31:57 PM »
I want to ad some purée to my Tomato Magic sauce for a bit more body.  I usually go 4:1 TM:purée.  I've used S&W and it was a little bitter.

What I'd like to do is find a 28 oz. can in the store to ad to my #10 can of TM. That's about the perfect ratio.  I'm thinking Cento, Contadina, WalMart house brand...  any suggestions would help.

I know I could buy them all and test but I figure you guys could save me some time.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: What's your favorite Purée ?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 09:49:14 PM »
I always say that Contadina makes a decent product and I have many times used their paste and add water to make puree. Works for my Chi-thins.
Walworld an Cento puree are bitter...I don`t know how Cento could possibly make them any more `tin` tasting.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 10:07:04 PM »
Great to know Bob. Thanks because Cento was going to be my first try if I had to taste them all because I like their ground.

I've found that most of the paste is really tinny and bitter. You say the Contadina has a good one?  I'll give it a try.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 10:10:46 PM »
Great to know Bob. Thanks because Cento was going to be my first try if I had to taste them all because I like their ground.

I've found that most of the paste is really tinny and bitter. You say the Contadina has a good one?  I'll give it a try.
Also, I think Hunts Puree is not bad at all.
Plus, theses products need salt to get them right.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:12:51 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline scott123

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 04:14:04 AM »
I want to ad some purée to my Tomato Magic sauce for a bit more body.

Matt, what style of pizza are you making?  Puree, in years past, used to be just pureed tomatoes, but, these days, most brands use a tomato concentrate that they add water to.  It's typically not as concentrated as paste, but, where ever you find concentration, you find cooking, and cooking, for NY style, is something you NEVER want to do, as it drives away flavors and completely changes the nature of the sauce (pasta sauce is cooked, not pizza).

Cento makes an unreconstituted puree, but the odds that it will be any thicker than your tomato magic are very low. Generally speaking, a ground tomato will have a bit more body than a pureed one- the only time you'll find a pureed tomato with more body than ground is when you move into the cooked versions, which, as I said, is extremely bad for NY style- including Sicilian, if that's what you're using this for.

It's been a while since I used tomato magic, but, if memory serves me correctly, it shouldn't need body.  In fact, like most ground tomatoes, it should most likely require a little water to thin it down.

Online Seven

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 09:22:58 AM »
I had high hopes for Sclafani puree since I like their crushed product so much but it was really bad. My go-to puree was always Cento. Wegman's brand is decent from what I recall...no citric acid.