Author Topic: Way back in the day  (Read 149 times)

Offline tjmitchem1

• I Love Pizza!
Way back in the day
« on: November 16, 2014, 03:49:55 PM »
Way back in 1990, I was a delivery driver for Pizza Hut.  As you can probably guess, I ate a lot of crappy pizza because it was free, but there was one bright spot amid the pizza darkness  :)

At the time Pizza Hut had two different sauces.  There was a somewhat sweet-tasting sauce that was used on the thin and deep dish crusts, and a much thicker and spicier sauce that went on the "hand-tossed" crust.  Unfortunately Pizza Hut, in a massive fit of stupidity,  dumped the hand-tossed sauce in, I believe, 1993.

Does anyone remember that "hand-tossed" sauce?  If so, can they point me at a recipe that'll produce something similar?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Online Arctic Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Way back in the day
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 01:36:37 PM »
Way back in 1990, I was a delivery driver for Pizza Hut.  As you can probably guess, I ate a lot of crappy pizza because it was free, but there was one bright spot amid the pizza darkness  :)

At the time Pizza Hut had two different sauces.  There was a somewhat sweet-tasting sauce that was used on the thin and deep dish crusts, and a much thicker and spicier sauce that went on the "hand-tossed" crust.  Unfortunately Pizza Hut, in a massive fit of stupidity,  dumped the hand-tossed sauce in, I believe, 1993.

Does anyone remember that "hand-tossed" sauce?  If so, can they point me at a recipe that'll produce something similar?

Any and all help is appreciated.

My older brother worked at pizza hut around 1984.  This is before PepsiCo bought them out and completely revamped the ingredients because national chains were required to be transparent about their nutritional info and their sauces were re formulated from the 90's.

The sauce was cooked out of huge cans of pureed tomatoes on premise with a proprietary pre-packed herbs in small plastic bags and BUTTER.  We've had many discussions on the tranformation of the PIzza Hut brand over the years.  From what he could tell they were the basic dry herbs and a TON of monosodium glutumate.  There was butter in everything, butter in the crust, butter in the sauce, butter in the pan.  Butter everwhere. 

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:08:00 PM by Arctic Pizza »