Author Topic: Saporito Super Heavy with Basil  (Read 294 times)

Offline jma141

• I Love Pizza!
Saporito Super Heavy with Basil
« on: March 07, 2015, 12:49:52 PM »
Hello,

First time poster. Love this forum!

I have tried numerous sauces at home and so far 7/11 straight out of the can has been my favorite. My favorite pizzeria is located in NE PA and uses the Saporito Super Heavy with Basil cans. I have tried to duplicate their sauce but everything has been failure so far. The problem is how thick and acidic this stuff is, and I just can't figure out how much water is best to cut it with. It's way too thick to use without cutting. I know the pizzeria in question does not use any other sauce products, so they have to be using water. Anyone have any advice for making good sauce with this stuff?

Thanks
John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Saporito Super Heavy with Basil
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 01:58:24 PM »
Hello,

First time poster. Love this forum!

I have tried numerous sauces at home and so far 7/11 straight out of the can has been my favorite. My favorite pizzeria is located in NE PA and uses the Saporito Super Heavy with Basil cans. I have tried to duplicate their sauce but everything has been failure so far. The problem is how thick and acidic this stuff is, and I just can't figure out how much water is best to cut it with. It's way too thick to use without cutting. I know the pizzeria in question does not use any other sauce products, so they have to be using water. Anyone have any advice for making good sauce with this stuff?

Thanks
John

John,

Welcome to the forum!

I would be curious to know what favorite pizzeria you like in NE Pa.  Maybe other members might be able to help you duplicate their sauce if you want to share the name of the pizzeria.

As for me, I do use Sporito Heavy sauce with basil.  This recipe might be too busy for you but this is what I use at Reply 5 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9744.msg366011#msg366011 and the link contained within that post.  To my tastes my sauce doesn't taste acidic.  Most of my customers think my sauce is on the sweeter side.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline jma141

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
John,

Welcome to the forum!

I would be curious to know what favorite pizzeria you like in NE Pa.  Maybe other members might be able to help you duplicate their sauce if you want to share the name of the pizzeria.

As for me, I do use Sporito Heavy sauce with basil.  This recipe might be too busy for you but this is what I use at Reply 5 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9744.msg366011#msg366011 and the link contained within that post.  To my tastes my sauce doesn't taste acidic.  Most of my customers think my sauce is on the sweeter side.

Norma

Hello Norma,

Thank you for the response. I will give your recipe a try. It's Angelo's Pizza in Wilkes-Barre, PA. It's pretty much a staple in this location, having been here 50+ years. They actually have two different sauces available, and both are amazing. The regular and sweet sauce. Their pizza is worth it if you are ever in the area.

Thanks
John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 05:45:47 PM »
Hello Norma,

Thank you for the response. I will give your recipe a try. It's Angelo's Pizza in Wilkes-Barre, PA. It's pretty much a staple in this location, having been here 50+ years. They actually have two different sauces available, and both are amazing. The regular and sweet sauce. Their pizza is worth it if you are ever in the area.

Thanks
John

John,

Thanks for the name of the pizzeria!

I see Angelo's Pizza in Wilkes-Barre, PA offers extra sweet sauce.  I used Google images and searched what Angelo's Pizza in Wilkes-Barre, PA looked like.  It looks just about the kind of pizza I make for market.  That is the boardwalk style of pizza.  I have other photos I can link you to him you want to see them.  It looks like they put their sauce in a spiral pattern.  That is what I do.

It looks like a Mack's, Manco & Manco, Grotto's or Maruca's pizza that are found down at the shore in NJ.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 06:04:29 PM »
John,

I forgot to link Peter's post at Reply 9 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=35182.msg350378#msg350378 in my last post.  You can see Peter told me if one would look for more sweetness in a sauce a good example would be the Saporito Super Heavy Pizza sauce.

When I taste the Saporito Super Heavy Pizza Sauce right out of the can it doesn't taste like when it is doctored up and thinned down.  It does have a sweeter flavor.  The flavored changes after it sits for a day.  Also when a sauce is baked on a pizza with cheese the sauce flavor changes.

Norma

Offline jma141

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 06:41:29 PM »
Good suggestions. I have not tried baking it without cutting yet. I will give that a try and see how it comes out. Thanks!

pizzapan