Author Topic: Cooked vs Uncooked pizza sauce....  (Read 81399 times)

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: Cooked vs Uncooked pizza sauce....
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2007, 12:45:41 PM »
MWTC,

Soy nut butter would certainly be something else.  That's a very good point of clarification.  I generically meant any soy based butter product substitute.  Margarine is just one of several, although I prefer non-hydrogenated food products when possible (the soy cream cheese doesn't seem possible), so if you can find something non-hydrogenated, that would be a better option.  What to look for on the ingredient list: soybean oil, soy protein, soy lecithin, lactic acid, and usually items like water, salt, natural flavor.  One brand I picked up not too long ago ("Earth Balance") is actually a "butter spread" which contains four oils: soybean, palm, canola, and olive.  It has half the saturated fat as butter, no trans fatty acids, and of course no cholesterol.  If you look in the same section as you found that soy cream cheese, you will find much better quality butter product substitutes than plain margarine.  The best reason for using these soy products over dairy, and I consider there to be a few, is the crazy-long shelf life of almost a year, even for the non-hydrogenated stuff.  This is indicative of nearly nonexistent bacterial incubation, which is dairy's disadvantage.

- red.november

Offline pierce652

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2007, 10:49:24 PM »
Well I finally got around to making this sauce and had all the ingredients except the fennel seed.  I know I have it but my 1 year old loves to play in the spice cabinet so its currently missing.  >:( After an hour in the fridge I tasted it and have to say it is the best homemade sauce recipe Ive come across.  My hat is off to your recipe and your knowledge.  Im going to use it tomorrow with the "thin version of Randy's American Style" which is my favorite crust.  Going to use a new pizza pan I picked up a while back.  Usually use a stone but the dough is too big for the stone.  Cant wait and will let you know how the finished product comes out.  Once again, thanks.
BBQ, Pizza, Flyfishing

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2007, 11:33:21 AM »
Thank you, pierce652.  Fennel seed also makes a decent tea.  Maybe your 1-year-old is having a tea party. :)

- red.november

Offline MWTC

Re: Red November Pizza Sauce (#2) by weight
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2007, 02:26:06 PM »
Per recent interest, here's Red November Pizza Sauce #2 by weight.  This is the definitive quantitative set based on my initial research into complimentary chemical compounds responsible for flavor and aroma.  If someone were to make a really large batch of this sauce, this would be the set of numbers to use, not the volumetric ones.

tomato puree @ 1.053 g/cc
sucrose
kosher salt
garlic powder
onion powder
black pepper
paprika
rosemary
oregano
basil
thyme
fennel seed
tarragon
marjoram
parsley

- red.november

Red.November

I just bought a can of Escalon 6 in 1. It is a large can, 6lb. 9oz. total weight. Would you give me the number to multiply by to use your #2 recipe. My math skills aren't even close to yours. You already did it for me for a can of 28oz.

Thanks,

MWTC  :chef:

« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 02:27:52 PM by MWTC »

Offline MWTC

« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2007, 04:56:08 PM »
Red.November

Tell me if I am right. I times everything by 2.977  :-\

Offline sanchez

« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2007, 06:29:43 AM »
6lb 9oz = 105 ounces.  Divide that by 28 ounces and you get 3.75.  I would think you could multiply the numbers from your original 28 ounce recipe by your factor of 3.75 and come out with the right ratios.

Offline MWTC

« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2007, 11:00:20 AM »
Thank-you Sanchez.

Red.November confirmed that the number that I put out was right.

I'm sure going at it another way, the way you showed, works also.

Try the recipe, its excellent. In fact it seems to get better with age!!!  :o

Offline sanchez

« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2007, 08:12:41 AM »
Okay then.  ;D  Just for a general math lesson for myself can you explain how you came up with 2.977?

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2007, 08:23:01 AM »
sanchez,

105 oz = 2976.7 g
2976.7 / 1000 = 2.9767

- red.november

Offline sanchez

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2007, 08:43:13 AM »
LOL.  I must be in the remedial class.  I assumed that since the larger can of tomatos were 3.75 times larger than the smaller one that each ingrediant could just be upped by 3.75 times the original amount.   :-[

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2007, 08:58:31 AM »
sanchez,

You can still do it the way you mentioned, but the precision will depend on how much MWTC rounded his numbers the first time around.  By multiplying anew, the original precision can be maintained.

- red.november

Offline pkasten

• Pizzas of the world unite!
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2007, 02:59:52 PM »
made a pretty good "uncooked" tomato sauce last night... and from tomatoes I'm not really crazy about.

1 can Cento "chef cut" (28oz)
1 T finely chopped fresh oregano
1.5 T finely chopped fresh basil
1 T finely chopped fresh chive
1/2 t diamond crystal kosher salt
1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped

drain tomatoes of all juice/puree.  pulse in blender until coarsely pureed.  add remaining ingredients.  yielded 1.25 cups.  used about 1 cup on a 14" pie.

paul

Offline Adydar

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2007, 07:24:37 AM »
Hello all, first post.

I tried this sauce, it came out of the refrigerator after about 10 hours "chunky".  Is this a case of my refrigerator being too cold?

Thanks,
Andy

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2007, 08:08:58 AM »
Andy,

Are you referring to the sauce in the preceding post, or some other sauce in this thread?  If you use fresh garlic in your sauce as the preceding post directs, it is quite possible to get chunky (gelatinous) sauce.  This is because garlic (and onion) release methyl pectin esterase enzymes which react with the pectin in tomato.

- red.november

Offline Adydar

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2007, 08:12:57 AM »
Thanks for the reply Red, I used your #2 recipe.  I used RedPack puree and used all dry ingredients.

Andy

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2007, 08:17:31 AM »
Andy,

Did you also heat the seasonings according to the MAE instructions located early in this thread?  How cold is your refrigerator?  If you didn't see ice in your sauce, I doubt it was because your refrigerator was too cold.

- red.november
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 08:22:55 AM by November »

Offline Adydar

« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2007, 06:32:13 AM »
Yep, followed the MAE instructions, I did realize I didn't cover the spices in the microwave.  I'll have to test the temp of my refrigerator, but it did not appear as ice in the sauce.

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2007, 01:41:39 PM »
Adydar,

It isn't necessary to cover it in the microwave oven.  In fact, I wouldn't actually recommend covering it.

If you are willing to try an experiment the next time you make sauce, keep some of the tomato puree separate from the sauce in the refrigerator and see if it "clumps" without anything added to it.  After the test you can just mix the sauce and puree together.  If it turns out that the tomato puree is gelling on its own, you may have to resort to one of three things: use a different puree, heat your puree, or add pectinase to your sauce.

- red.november

Offline MWTC

« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2007, 03:27:21 PM »
Red.November

Maybe Adydar could clairify what he mean by "chunky". Maybe it will lead to the answer. Was the spice element "chunky" or the tomato part "chunky"?

I've never had this problem with this recipe.

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2007, 03:55:49 PM »
MWTC,

A desire for clarification was why I used the term "gel."  If it was not gelled, I would have expected a correction in the following response.  It isn't like there are very many ways for a sauce to turn chunky.  It's either the act of enzymes on pectin, or it's related to ice formation destroying the cellular structure.  I wouldn't have thought for a second that it had to do with the combination of seasonings regardless of the problem description.

- red.november

pizzapan