Author Topic: Great results using new method on 1/2" steel  (Read 3660 times)

Online JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Great results using new method on 1/2" steel
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 06:34:50 AM »
Why the broiler hate?   ;D Commercial electric deck ovens have broiler elements that are constantly cycling on and off, and gas deck ovens have thermodynamics that are specifically engineered to recreate the effect of a broiler.

Purely logistical. If I had a turn style knob I'd probably never have gone down this path. Its such a pain when making multiple pies.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:36:59 AM by JD »
Josh

scott123

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 07:03:21 AM »
Purely logistical. If I had a turn style knob I'd probably never have gone down this path. Its such a pain when making multiple pies.

I have to admit, I was using a keypad controller the other day for 5 pies, and it was kind of a hassle.

Does your oven have a convection feature?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:26:35 AM by scott123 »

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 08:02:15 AM »
I have to admit, I was using a keypad controller the other day for 5 pies, and it was kind of a hassle.

Does your oven have a convection feature?

No sir
Josh

Offline Needssalt

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 07:55:05 AM »
I have a keypad as well.  With this oven I have now, I set convection broil highest temp just after I cheese, and before toppings.  By the time I'm ready to launch (I'm guessing another 30-40 seconds) it's broilering.  As it runs, I'm able to rotate the pie 2-3x in 4 minutes.  That seems to be important in my oven for even top browning.  JD, keep experimenting, I think it's going great. 

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 09:19:51 PM »
Here is tonight's effort. This time was 525*: 2.5 minutes on steel & 6 on the grates. I think I still want to raise the temp a little more to get a shorter bake time and a little less crunch. Otherwise pretty happy with this one.

Josh

Offline redox

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 09:37:20 PM »
Beautiful looking pie. What cheese are you using?

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 09:59:30 PM »
Thanks redox.

I use Bacio Shredded Provolone/Mozz mix... it's what my local pizza place uses and they're nice enough to sell it to me.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23484.msg238301.html#msg238301

Don't let the part skim tag fool you, it's good stuff
Josh

Offline gnomad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 11:13:13 PM »
That is beautiful.

Offline Needssalt

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 09:07:26 AM »
Those pics are a whole different level,... nicely done.  I have to imagine that even though the bottom is not on the steel plate after you move it, it's still getting a lot of heat from the burner below it for 6 minutes, more than what the top is receiving by being under the plate.  Is the bottom real cooked/hard vs the top?  The pizza itself looks great, I was just curious after seeing in your set-up. 

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 02:07:18 PM »
That is beautiful.

Thanks!

Those pics are a whole different level,... nicely done.  I have to imagine that even though the bottom is not on the steel plate after you move it, it's still getting a lot of heat from the burner below it for 6 minutes, more than what the top is receiving by being under the plate.  Is the bottom real cooked/hard vs the top?  The pizza itself looks great, I was just curious after seeing in your set-up. 

You're exactly right. When it comes off the steel plate it's fairly blonde with only some small char spots. The bottom color really comes from the heat from the burners. However, I'm inclined to believe this would never happen if it weren't for the steel plate "head start".

Yes the bottom is a bit harder than the top, and because of this I'm going to raise the temp a little so the top is done faster and (hopefully) a bit softer

Josh

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 11:19:35 AM »
Well as hard as it is for me to admit defeat, I think I'm going to give up on this method. It seems to only produce a very crisp cornice & undercrust.

This has been fun, but I'm just not getting enough radiant heat from the steel plate and it makes the bake time much longer than I'd like. Looks like I'm going back to the broiler. If you prefer that crunch, by all means carry on though.

Josh

Offline Needssalt

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 11:26:14 AM »
Love the spirit of exploration,.. well done.

scott123

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »
I think some knowledge was acquired.  Did you notice on the Zuppardi's (New Haven) discussion where I conjectured that they could be using a mid bake move to a cooler area to give the pizza fast bake and slow bake qualities?  This could be how it's achieved.

I'm not running out to try mid-bake shelf changes  ;) but I think the idea is worth exploring.  One of the most successful pizzerias on the planet, L&B, in Brooklyn, does half the time on the deck and half on an upper shelf.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 01:45:06 PM »
Scott,

De Lorenzo's in Robbinsville sometimes uses a two-stage bake, as was also done at the now closed De Lorenzo Hudson Street location. I think the following photos, which were taken in succession, may show the two-stage bake method:

http://www.delorenzostomatopies.com/images/dtp-shoot08-untouched/pages/100_3206_JPG.htm

http://www.delorenzostomatopies.com/images/dtp-shoot08-untouched/pages/100_3207_JPG.htm

De Lorenzo's often adds more cheese to the pizzas when moving the pizzas around. You can see the added cheese in the second photo referenced above.

Peter

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 01:48:50 PM by Pete-zza »