Author Topic: Good tips for reheating a NY slice at home?  (Read 521 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Good tips for reheating a NY slice at home?
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 12:54:14 PM »
Last night, I tried Mitch's light toast method and Walter's suggestion for stove top.

While they both seem pretty good, I found that using a non-stick griddle over a light-medium flame, covered for most of the duration with a pot lid, then removing for last 2 mins, worked really well.
The crust was returned to its crispy bottom original form and the lid retained enough moisture to keep the dough from getting dry.  I removed the lid towards the end because the crust seemed almost a little too supple.  So thank you much Walter - your suggestion won that shootout!

Apologies that this is a resurrected topic (this is meant for you Bob!! LOL!), but it was fun and now I have the answer for which I was looking!    :P
I was teasing, glad you found something that worked.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 01:13:28 PM »
Last night, I tried Mitch's light toast method and Walter's suggestion for stove top.

While they both seem pretty good, I found that using a non-stick griddle over a light-medium flame, covered for most of the duration with a pot lid, then removing for last 2 mins, worked really well.
The crust was returned to its crispy bottom original form and the lid retained enough moisture to keep the dough from getting dry.  I removed the lid towards the end because the crust seemed almost a little too supple.  So thank you much Walter - your suggestion won that shootout!

Apologies that this is a resurrected topic (this is meant for you Bob!! LOL!), but it was fun and now I have the answer for which I was looking!    :P

Gag: You are welcome.  That is my favorite home method as well.  Since it is just my wife and I we can heat 2 slices from our 18" pies in our largest skillet.  Growing up a few miles outside NYC the pizza culture was so intense it is hard to explain to people that didn't experience it firsthand.  We often ate cold pizza the next day and I still do. If you can't love it cold it wasn't made right :)  We took in an 11 year old Mexican girl back in Ca circa 1998 and she came with us on a summer trip to NJ to meet my family.  I told her we would eat pizza for breakfast/lunch/diner.  She laughed at that but when we got there that is what she wanted to eat.  She became a pizza convert to the highest degree and I taught her how to make pies. For the past 3 years she has been the head pizza maker at a NY deck style shop in Sonoma County CA.  Our goal is to get her to help in our soon to be Reno pizzeria and turn it over to  her when we run out of gas.  Walter 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:16:56 PM by waltertore »

Offline Gags

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 01:30:52 PM »
I was teasing :chef:

Of course! 
We gotta be able to bust some chops, right!?
I expect nothing less from you - if Chicago Bob gets all PC and sensitive, we'll have to ask you to change your avatar!!   :-D
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline Gags

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »
I told her we would eat pizza for breakfast/lunch/diner.  She laughed at that but when we got there that is what she wanted to eat.

Sounds familiar! 
When I visit my folks back in the Bronx, that pretty much sums it up!
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 07:31:48 AM »
Love the pizzaz to reheat pizza. Especially thin as it makes it crispy again.