Author Topic: Tonight's Pie  (Read 101301 times)

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Tonight's Pie
« Reply #300 on: July 30, 2015, 10:18:14 AM »
I made a batch last night with KASL and 65% water.  At the end I mixed for 5 minutes and let stand for 2 hrs before scaling and balling.  The dough was very sticky and hard to ball up, I had to wet my hands to ball and close.  Should the dough be so sticky?  Should I have mixed for a couple more minutes? 

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #301 on: July 30, 2015, 05:37:17 PM »
I made a batch last night with KASL and 65% water.  At the end I mixed for 5 minutes and let stand for 2 hrs before scaling and balling.  The dough was very sticky and hard to ball up, I had to wet my hands to ball and close.  Should the dough be so sticky?  Should I have mixed for a couple more minutes?
Everyone's is different with many different angles, but I've found just a tiny bit of working right after the 2 hour development and before the balling sort of finishes it off for me. One might even call it a very light stretch and fold, but extremely lightly and limited in duration. It's been a few months since my last GB batch, so I don't remember exactly how long. Just maybe 15 seconds was all it took.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #302 on: July 30, 2015, 05:48:44 PM »
I've never used KASL, but I have noticed that I need to vary my hydration, sometimes quite a bit, depending on what flour I'm using.  If it's so sticky that you can't ball it, you might want to lower the hydration a point or three.  I can tell you that I usually use GM Bread Flour.  When I used KA Bread flour, the dough was definitely stickier and I had to lower the hydration.  I know KABF and KASL are two entirely different animals, and I do like my dough to be on the sticky side, but if it's unmanageable, I would adjust.

- GB  :chef:
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #303 on: July 31, 2015, 08:04:38 AM »
Everyone's is different with many different angles, but I've found just a tiny bit of working right after the 2 hour development and before the balling sort of finishes it off for me. One might even call it a very light stretch and fold, but extremely lightly and limited in duration. It's been a few months since my last GB batch, so I don't remember exactly how long. Just maybe 15 seconds was all it took.

Thanks, I was thinking about doing a quick S&F but just powered through with the balling.  I've never used KASL before so I think it will take a couple of tries to figure it out.  Good thing I have 2 kids to help me destroy all the evidence after I bake my "mistakes"

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #304 on: July 31, 2015, 08:08:16 AM »
I've never used KASL, but I have noticed that I need to vary my hydration, sometimes quite a bit, depending on what flour I'm using.  If it's so sticky that you can't ball it, you might want to lower the hydration a point or three.  I can tell you that I usually use GM Bread Flour.  When I used KA Bread flour, the dough was definitely stickier and I had to lower the hydration.  I know KABF and KASL are two entirely different animals, and I do like my dough to be on the sticky side, but if it's unmanageable, I would adjust.

GB,

Thanks, I'll lower the hydration a couple of points next time and maybe do a quick S&F at the end if needed (see above).  I found a place to get KASL for $20 for a 50# bag so I have plenty of flour to get the formula right  ;D  I'm going to let these dough balls sit for a week in the fridge, I'll post back next week how they turned out.

Thomas

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #305 on: August 05, 2015, 09:59:55 PM »
No pictures since both dough balls were a bit of a disaster.  They were very sticky coming out of the containers and super extensible, so much so that it was hard to keep in a round shape.  I had a hard time tossing the first one, so on the second one I just slapped once or twice on my arms.  Both got very big and thin quickly and didn't have an even consistency so there where a lot of thin spots. 

I think the problem was too high a hydration % with the KASL (65%).  I'll dial it back to about 61-62% next time and see what happens.

On the plus side the pizzas didn't taste too bad  :)

Offline xclarkx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #306 on: December 20, 2015, 07:52:26 PM »
Thank you Glutenboy for your great recipe!   :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

But I have a bit of a problem.  If I use any bench flour at all, it immediately burns when I put the pie on my baking steels (having preheated my oven to ~600), so I have had to resort to cooking these pizzas on a screen. :o  It does turn out a good crust, but I'm curious, are you guys stretching the dough with or without bench flour, and if you're using screens or cooking directly on the stone (or steel). 

Thanks!

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
« Reply #307 on: December 20, 2015, 08:03:50 PM »
For me, I have had good luck using 00 Caputo or equivalent for bench flour. I find it tolerates the heat much better, more burn/scorch resistant

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #308 on: December 20, 2015, 09:10:02 PM »
If that's a problem for you, I would assume it's not specific to my dough since it's the flour that's burning.  I've never had that experience.  I've heard of it with cornmeal on the peel but not flour.  The times I've wound up using too much bench flour, it's just tended to cake rather than burn.  If it's an issue of too much, I'll state the obvious and say that the dough should only be floured before it's stretched so that it distributes thinly as the dough is opened.  The peel should only be lightly dusted.  What I like to do is dust the peel minimally with bench flour and then sprinkle it liberally with semolina before I put down the skin for dressing.  BTW, I dress the pie on the peel rather than drag it on afterward as I've seen done in Neapolitan places.  My oven runs pretty hot, and I bake directly on the stone surface.  I've been a victim of burned crust from too much direct heat, but I've never attributed it to flour.  Please update on how you resolve it.

Good luck!

Offline GregO83

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #309 on: March 29, 2016, 04:31:36 PM »
I've been on the hunt for the perfect dough for my Blackstone oven and figured I'd give this a try.  I couldn't find all trumps flour so I substituted with KABF and the tiniest pinch of sugar.  They are resting at room temp now and I will ball them tightly at 350 grams for a 14" pie.  Does anyone think there will be a huge difference using KABF?

Thanks.  :)

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #310 on: March 29, 2016, 05:59:24 PM »
I've used it myself.  The only thing that I vary with the flour is hydration, and I wind up going by feel.  If the dough felt right to you, you should be fine.