Author Topic: Craig's NY Pizza  (Read 3109 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Craig's NY Pizza
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2016, 10:43:31 AM »
I'm finding that the pizza is more tender with the RT ferment as compared to CF.

I absolutely believe this to be true which the other major reason why I would not CF NP (the other being flavor development).
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2016, 11:33:34 AM »

It's funny you say that as it was a bit in my mind when making it. I even put a small amount of fresh garlic in the sauce like he did in the video. I didn't care for it and probably will never do it again. The rim snapped a bit, but not so much that I would call it "crunchy." I'm not sure I want the rim crunchy. I enjoy the contrast of the crunch on the bottom, however some tender crust is good too.

I tried the same thing with garlic in the sauce after seeing that pizzeria beddia video for the first time. I also did not care for it one bit.

Dressing the finished pie with olive oil oregano and freshly grated Aged cheese however didn't suck!

Online jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2016, 11:53:08 AM »
1/2" no if's and's or but's. Here is my set-up: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=39045.0

Craig, another question if I may ...

How do you manage to balance the top heat in your oven to the high surface heat of the steel since the steel is so conductive?  In other words, why do you think your bottom isn't finishing way before the top?

Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2016, 12:09:11 PM »
Mainly because at 585F, [for me] it's not a question of why isn't the bottom finishing way before the top, rather it's the only way I'm able to get the bottom to finish as quickly as the top. It's not that steel is too conductive but rather that stone is nowhere near conductive enough. There are certainly other variables that can change this relationship. For example, Mike's (Essen1) pies come out beautifully on stone.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2016, 12:38:33 PM »
Mainly because at 585F, [for me] it's not a question of why isn't the bottom finishing way before the top, rather it's the only way I'm able to get the bottom to finish as quickly as the top. It's not that steel is too conductive but rather that stone is nowhere near conductive enough. There are certainly other variables that can change this relationship. For example, Mike's (Essen1) pies come out beautifully on stone.

Gotcha.  I believe its mostly a difference in our ovens.  Mine works very similar to Mike's and yours and Mary Anne's seem to perform similarly. 

Jeff

pizzapan