Author Topic: What type of surface is good for shaping the pie?  (Read 3162 times)

Offline barrelli

• I Love Pizza!
What type of surface is good for shaping the pie?
« on: September 18, 2006, 01:10:04 PM »
I would like to see what others are using for shaping their dough. I have been using a pastry board but find that the dough does not spread that easily even if floured. The pizzerias I have seen have a smooth stone or tile like surface.  I appreaciate your comments.

Lou

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: What type of surface is good for shaping the pie?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 02:43:01 PM »
marble

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 03:38:21 PM »
I'm not posting up here anymore. Scott always gives my answers before I have a chance.

;-)

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 03:54:42 PM »
I use a 20x22 inch wooden peel.  Our marble countertop is not a slab, it's one foot square tiles and cleaning the grout lines was a pain.  I've also used the back of a cutting board, the formica table top, basically anything smooth and cleanable.

Jack

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 05:27:57 PM »
A few years ago I bought, very inexpensively, a 2x2 foot marble slab from an outlet store. Look around your area. These items come and go at such stores, but they are a bargain and mine has worked very well.

bakerbill

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 06:33:14 PM »
I use a large silpat (the larger might be called a rolpat)

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 06:35:14 PM »
I find the silpat really sticky for dough, compared to marble. It's almost the opposite of how it is with everything else.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 11:28:57 AM »
I spent a good part of this past week in NYC and made a point to check out the NY slice joints as I made my way around the City. Just about all of them used marble surfaces to shape and form their pizzas. One had a white glass-like surface. Apparently the low-friction surfaces greatly help forming the skins.

Peter

Offline barrelli

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 12:35:16 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input especially Peter's comment about NY pizzerias. I will look for a 2' x 2' marble slab.

Lou

Offline John39840

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 07:37:25 PM »
You basically want any type of clean smooth flat surface. Although, I like marble, as it's easier to clean, and slick enough to allow proper shaping. Wood soaks in a lot of moisture, and makes it more difficult to control your dough, and the dough's actual moisture content.

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 10:16:29 AM »
I've been using a large Silpat which works pretty well with some flour as a release agent. But, based on this thread I thought I'd try a piece of marble.  No luck at Home Depot, they only had 1 X 1 tiles.  So I tried a monument/kitchen counter company in my town.  They wanted $100 which seemed a little expensive, so I drove to a gravestone maker and asked them. They said, we don't have anything that small but recommended a marble contractor/carving company that will do it for $35 for a 2 x 2 polished piece.  So, it pays to shop around.

Offline dapert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 10:51:00 AM »
What about an 18x18 or 24x24 marble floor tile? Should be able to get them for less than $10

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 12:48:51 PM »
When making pizza at home, I will use either the "granite" counter top or a wood peel.
They both work equally well for me. :D
Buffalo

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 09:10:56 PM »
Granite is definitely superior to marble.  It's twice as hard, less porous, more stain resistant, and more resistant to chemical attack.  If enough members from this board got together to buy granite in bulk, it wouldn't cost much either.  Q Flooring [http://www.qflooring.com/granite.asp] for instance sells 18" x 18" granite tiles in cartons of 6.  So if just 5-6 members agreed on a design, each could get a tile for as little as $8.01 + S&H or $14.51 + S&H on average.

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 12:47:48 PM »
I asked about granite at the stone place where I purchased the marble piece, and the person who worked there thought marble would be less sticky based on her experience creating counters for candy makers.  Of course, this may have little or nothing do do with pizza dough! 

I couldn't find any tiles (marble or granite) at my local Home Depot that were big enough, unless I special ordered.

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 03:45:16 PM »
I've never heard of granite being stickier than marble for any kind of food.  The only thing I can think of that the person might have experienced is an increase in surface tension due to granite's lower porosity.  Even that is somewhat relative anyway, since untreated marble will absorb more water at its surface in higher humidity environments, and then you deal specifically with interface tension.  If both are treated, which is likely the case if the person is talking about granite and marble countertops, they should both be exactly the same with respect to "stickiness."  The thermal conductivity of granite and marble are relatively the same, with the marble tending to conduct a little less in some cases.  That means that in extreme cases, granite will be slightly colder than marble, which would actually make it less "sticky."

Offline Scagnetti

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 04:40:45 PM »
I use a 24"X22" footed smooth marble slab. I can't count the number of doughs I've made on this over the years including breads, dinner rolls, pies, puff pastry, and of course pizza.

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 11:42:56 PM »
Go with marble.  Makes a huge difference.  I was using my peel.  Not so good.

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 01:27:37 PM »
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about CaesarStone or something comparable?

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 02:05:54 PM »
I am looking into getting engineered stone for my countertops. Someone mentioned to me that it is not proven safe because it is partially made of chemicals. Has anyone heard of anything like that? Is it safer to go with something like marble? I was thinking I would stay away from marble because it requires sealing. My old kitchen had marble and even after I tried to seal it, liquids appeared to penetrate the surface.

Thanks,

Michael