Author Topic: What type of surface is good for shaping the pie?  (Read 3211 times)

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: What type of surface is good for shaping the pie?
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 04:27:27 PM »
Michael,

I assume you mean quartz when you say "engineered stone" since that's what most high-quality engineered stone is made out of.  Quartz is the best material of all.  It's a lot harder and more durable than granite, which is already more durable than marble.  It's also very expensive.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with engineered stone as a surface for working directly with foods.

- red.november

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 08:08:49 PM »
November,

Thanks, I was hoping you would respond. It seems to be about the same price as marble and it doesn't require any sealing. I know it engineered quartz hasn't been around for long so I wasn't sure if there was a potential for a recall years from now when it is determined that there are some potentially harmful chemicals in the adhesives. (Better to be safe and ask).

Thanks again.

Michael

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 01:20:48 AM »
Michael,

Actually, you might want to check with the manufacturer of the quartz countertops you are considering to see what kind of resin they are using.  In any case, the industry uses about 7% resin to bind the quartz, and that's not usually enough to be a problem in average high-heat or corrosive conditions, but some binders are better than others.  The two I'm aware of are polyester and epoxy.  Epoxy is the much better choice, and consequently makes the final product more expensive.

- red.november

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 01:56:52 PM »
November,

I have requested info from both companies I am considering.

Silestone - Virtually non-porous built with Microban (the same as Triclosan, the ingredient in anti-bacterial soaps.)

Caesarstone - Nonporous. The 7% resin is mostly polyester, about 1% pigment  the seams are epoxy.

Still information gathering...

Michael

pizzapan