Author Topic: Looking for a REALLY GOOD cheese grater  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Looking for a REALLY GOOD cheese grater
« on: February 28, 2006, 01:43:35 PM »
Good cheese (Polly-O, Stella, Grande) is available in blocks only.  You have to grate it.  I always have trouble grating cheeses, particularly the softer whole milk mozzarellas. 

I use a grater attachment on my Kitchen Aid, but it ruins a lot of the cheese by mushing and rolling it.

I also have a couple REALLY CHINTZY box graters, made of folded sheet metal that I bought at the grocery store for $3.00.  They are stamped out like a bottle cap and do a lousy job of grating mozz. 

Can anyone recommend a REALLY GOOD cheese grater for soft mozzarella cheeses?

Just had pizza for lunch,

- Fio
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Looking for a REALLY GOOD cheese grater
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 02:08:07 PM »
Regardless of what grater you use, having soft cheese very cold makes a big difference. I have a fairly high-quality box grater which is perfect for soft cheeses that are very cold. Well, almost perfect since, klutz that I am, I rarely am able to use theses graters without drawing some blood.  :'(

Bill/SFNM

Offline SouthernPete

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 11:54:38 AM »
I use a food proccesor to grate or chop my cheese and it works great....even with fresh motz.

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 12:57:14 PM »
I'm not sure if they're still made but a Presto Salad Shooter works great for grating cheese. I've got one that I got when they first came on the market 20 years ago or so - works real good for grating fresh cheese, potatoes , etc. WalMart or other big box stores should have them if they're still made.

Offline robtfink

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 02:16:41 PM »
Before the advent of the modern food processor was the hand-cranked "Mouli" (a friendly and familiar abbreviation of the original manufacturer's name, Moulinex) - here's a picture of a classic,   http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/Rodeabody/Mouli.jpg  Nowadays, mostly plastic, but still eminently serviceable versions are to be found. Whereas processors are excellent for grating hard cheeses, imho, their high speed, even pulsing, is a little too much for soft. A deft and delicate touch hand-cranking (sorry, sounds like masturbation doesn't it?) produces excellent results.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 02:24:33 PM »
I use my kitchenAid too, but I put the cheese in the freezer to firm it up first.

Randy

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 03:31:49 PM »
Before the advent of the modern food processor was the hand-cranked "Mouli" (a friendly and familiar abbreviation of the original manufacturer's name, Moulinex) - here's a picture of a classic, 

My wife grew up with the Metal Mouli and always talked about it.  We found one in the Concord cheese shop in Concord, Mass a few years ago.  I have also purchase one for at gift at The Gadget Source.  http://www.thegadgetsource.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc Search for "mouli".

The Mouli works well for most cheeses.  I generally only use this think when grating large amounts.  Great for grated hash browns.  I still use a box grater for small tasks.

Someone mention cooling cheese well before grating.  When using any grater for soft cheese,  cool the grater (or wheels on the mouli) before grating so as not to soften the cheese with a warm grater.  Same trick is used for grinding meat and fat for sausage.

TM

Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline SouthernPete

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 06:13:59 PM »
I use my kitchenAid too, but I put the cheese in the freezer to firm it up first.

Randy

That really does work great, especially with fresh cheese

Offline statu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 04:29:54 PM »
On top of putting the cheese in the freezer for 1/2 hour I put the Food Processor  blade in the freezer.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 11:44:26 AM »

Randy

KA food processor? 

pizzapan