Author Topic: Boston  (Read 1645 times)

Offline communist

Boston
« on: June 25, 2015, 10:43:08 AM »
motoring up to Boston Saturday.  Would like to try Scottr "Stoked" but is he around on Saturdays?  If not, other suggestions?   Mark

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
Re: Boston
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 12:14:06 PM »
I just had Santarpios in East Boston last weekend. I'd rate it 6 on a one to ten. Probably 8/10 if mine had not been over done.
Hans

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 12:23:07 PM »
Stoked and Panelli's are on my Boston list of places to try

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=35409.msg352334#msg352334
Deb

Offline caymus

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 08:11:01 PM »
You should try Galleria Umberto, but I think it is only open for lunch.  Personally, I would find a reason to stop in New Haven.

Offline communist

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 07:34:49 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone!😊

Offline misterschu

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 10:35:24 AM »
Galleria Umberto is worth a stop. Picco in the South End is very good. Posto in Cambridge is not.

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 02:54:20 PM »
Galleria Umberto is worth a stop. Picco in the South End is very good. Posto in Cambridge is not.
isnt posto in somerville? i've been wanting to try posto, not worth the trip?

Offline misterschu

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 03:38:43 PM »
isnt posto in somerville? i've been wanting to try posto, not worth the trip?

You're right it is in Somerville. I did not find it worthwhile. Maybe just an off night, but our pizzas, 7 of them, were uniformly pale, with nothing else remarkable.

Online tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 04:00:49 PM »
I was at Pizzeria Regina in the North End this spring. There was a line to get in at 3pm, but not that long (maybe 20 min). We had a cheese pizza. It was really excellent.  Very flavorful crust, a bit of char but not too much. Old school; deck ovens.  There are other Regina locations but the one in the North End (11 Thatcher St.) is the only one that I could recommend. The atmosphere is great too. Very old, very Italian, great waitresses. Definitely worthwhile. 

There is also a Roman style place on Newbury St. called Scissors and Pie.  Here's a Yelp link. They had just opened for business when we were there. I liked it quite a bit. Similar to some of the places we had pizza in Rome. You tell them how much you want and they cut it off of a big sheet and weigh it.  It's not out of this world but tasty, and very fresh when we were there. 

I will be back in Boston in July so I'm taking note of any recommendations that people have. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 05:42:35 PM by tinroofrusted »

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 04:20:47 PM »
I was there last weekend. If you have time for a non pizza meal the lobster sandwich at Alive and Kicking in Cambridge is really good.
Hans

Offline communist

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 04:54:17 PM »
Hit Panelli's Saturday night in Boston. Simple low key ambiance with David stretching the dough behind the scene.  Large pies 20 inches!  With a very thin, almost blonde crust.  He does his version of Chris Bianco's pistachio white pie.  It was a winner with the crowd, minimalistic, almost approaching a focaccia.  I would come back for that pie.  The standard red pie was good, and I would order it again.  Some critique from the group thought the crust was a bit too flat, crisp and blonde, but I think he is after that?  Because the whole pie is so minimalistic with very thin crust, scant sauce and cheese topping, some were not impressed.  I will return and try his other pies.   Mark

Offline communist

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 05:02:13 PM »
Hit Pepe's in West Hartford on way home.  Good pies, stylistic, coal oven burning at 600.  Pizza crust with char - I assume he just cooks his 5 minutes pies 2 minutes longer and pulls when they start to burn, crust not real puffy and on dry side.  An enjoyable experience and will try again.  White clam pie good, but topping a little dry, and combined with slightly over cooked dough a somewhat dry experience.  White with Gorgonzola and shrooms good. Same crust.    Mark

Offline communist

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 05:06:55 PM »
Panellis

Offline communist

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 05:07:39 PM »
panellis

Offline communist

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 05:09:07 PM »
Pepe's

Online tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 09:27:06 AM »
I was in Boston a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping to try out Panelli's Pizza & Parm in Brookline but it has closed permanently. Same with Scissors & Pie on Newbury St. Last time I was in Boston I had a couple of slices of Roman style pizza there (sold by the gram) and it was quite good. 

Also, Frank Pepe's is now open in Chestnut Hill. I wasn't able to get out there unfortunately. 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 10:07:32 AM »
Im sorry I missed you when you were visiting communist.   I hope you come back again.  Opening this spring when I will have a brick and mortar at 1632 beacon st. in brookline, not far from where panellis was located.   

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 12:27:37 PM »
Scottr, 

I had no idea you had launched Your own operation.

The pictures on the website look outrageously delicious.

What are the specs on your dough/bake times?

Can't wait to try them next time I'm in Boston.

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 02:07:10 PM »
I was in Boston a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping to try out Panelli's Pizza & Parm in Brookline but it has closed permanently. Same with Scissors & Pie on Newbury St. Last time I was in Boston I had a couple of slices of Roman style pizza there (sold by the gram) and it was quite good. 

Also, Frank Pepe's is now open in Chestnut Hill. I wasn't able to get out there unfortunately.
i was surprised that scissors and pie closed too, i liked it

Offline communist

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 07:22:24 PM »
Im sorry I missed you when you were visiting communist.   I hope you come back again.  Opening this spring when I will have a brick and mortar at 1632 beacon st. in brookline, not far from where panellis was located.   
I will visit your new place when it is open on my next trip to Boston Scott!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 04:24:46 PM »
Hey guys good to see you here!   For anyone interested "area 4" is really good 3 minute sourdough pizza with fresh mozzarella out of a le paynol..    Ponzu I'm doing a 2-2.5 minute wood fired pizza with a poolish and most pizzas have a blend of fresh and aged mozzarella, some just fresh.   There are a number of Neapolitan places here now but I still seem to prefer the original pizzeria Regina in the north end or area 4

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 08:28:43 AM »
Hey guys good to see you here!   For anyone interested "area 4" is really good 3 minute sourdough pizza with fresh mozzarella out of a le paynol..    Ponzu I'm doing a 2-2.5 minute wood fired pizza with a poolish and most pizzas have a blend of fresh and aged mozzarella, some just fresh.   There are a number of Neapolitan places here now but I still seem to prefer the original pizzeria Regina in the north end or area 4
I agree Scott, I have enjoyed pies at area 4 several times. On a side note, I took the family to Roxy's Grilled Cheese in Allston over the weekend. I had read about it on the food lab. Delicious!
Also enjoyed dinner at Strip T's in Watertown, and Dali in Somerville- that place still rocks after a zillion years.
Looking forward to trying your shop in Brookline this year.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 08:33:15 AM by corkd »

Offline pizapizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 11:51:16 AM »
will the truck still be running?

Online tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 03:57:56 PM »
Scott, is your new place open yet?

wordpress