Author Topic: Visiting SF Bay area for work next month, any must eat places?  (Read 227 times)

Offline GlobalTJB

Ill be out in the bay area from Sep 9-15 for a work trip and was wondering if any of the local members knew of some good holes in the wall places.  I am staying in east bay - Pleasonton/dublin area - but will have a rental car.  So far the only place on my list is acme bakery in oakland to get some sourdough starter.  I am also looking for a place that sells russian river bottles to brng back with me.
thanks

Offline dineomite

Re: Visiting SF Bay area for work next month, any must eat places?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »
When they have it, Bi-Rite Market in the Mission sells bottles of Pliny. I believe you can also purchase carryout bottles from Toroado. As far as the East Bay goes, I can't go to Berkeley without stopping in to see Keith at Emilia's. I like the slices at Gioia pizzeria (Berkeley). As far a HITW (hole in the wall) place in SF I guess Golden Boy Pizza probably fits the bill.

Offline woodmakesitgood

• You gots to cook it strong!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 01:43:42 PM »
hmmm, for hole in the wall type places, there's a couple along your East Bay, Pleasanton to Berkeley route.
I second the Gioia recommendation...

Nick's Pizza has good sourdough, kind of a NY style slice.
http://oaklandstylepizza.com/about-nicks-pizza/

Bluebird Pizzeria in my town, San Leandro is recommended but I haven't been there yet.
It is run by one of our PMF members!
http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/bluebird-pizzeria-east-coast-pizza-and-down-home-hospitality/Content?oid=4135671

I'll PM you where to find Pliny.  ;D
Charles

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 01:54:19 PM »
Another bit of East Bay recommendations:

1 Pizzaiolo - http://www.pizzaiolooakland.com - very well known place, the owner is one of the many offspring of Chez Panisse.
2. Chez Panisse Cafe - http://www.chezpanisse.com/intro.php - Alice Waters is a pioneer of the local, seasonal, organic, etc. movement.
3. Brown Sugar Kitchen - http://brownsugarkitchen.com - off the beaten track geographically - Tanya Holland, formal training in France, makes great soul food.  The chicken and waffles for breakfast are awesome.

If you go get starter from Acme, let us know.  I read somewhere that they do give it to you but I have never gone over there to ask.  Great bread, worth asking!
Mitch

Offline GlobalTJB

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 02:25:21 PM »
Thank you all for the reply.  I have a car and can access SF proper so please dont be shy with any recommendations there too.  they dont have pliney or blind pig on the east coast so i am going to max out my checked bag with as much as i can fit.

I was reading with ACME that you need to bring a plastic, not glass, contianer and they will give you as much as can fit in it. 

Offline invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 02:51:12 PM »
If you are in Dogpatch Long Bridge was good. I went there when they first opened when all they had was an oven and a few seats. Pie is Neo-NY with a SF sourdough twist and a little whole wheat for Haight Ashbury.

Offline dineomite

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »
they dont have pliney or blind pig on the east coast so i am going to max out my checked bag with as much as i can fit.

Hey, that's what I do. BTW, Wooodmakesitgood I'd love to get that PM on the Pliny sources, too. I'll be in the Mission from Oct 9-17. You can never have enough sources for Pliny ;D

As a side note, any of you been down to Los Gatos to Oak & Rye? I'm seriously considering a trip down there to check it out, but it isn't exactly around the corner...

-Cal

Offline nikesparq

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 11:08:49 PM »
If you're interested in a greasy NY street style slice, Arinell is the first place that comes to mind for a hole-in-the-wall experience.
2119 Shattuck Ave. (Berkeley) or 509 Valencia St. (SF).

Tony's Pizza Napoletana in North Beach would be a good choice for a "must-try."  It's one-stop shopping - you won't find a place with a more diverse selection of pizzas.  1570 Stockton St. (SF).

Deep dish - Zachary's, Little Star and Paxti's are all comparable and have multiple locations in the Bay Area.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:55:56 PM by nikesparq »

pizzapan