Author Topic: HomespunPizza.com members?  (Read 6115 times)

Offline tgnytg

• I Love Pizza!
HomespunPizza.com members?
« on: September 20, 2006, 09:53:12 AM »

Is anybody here also a member at HomespunPizza.com?

It is a website run by Bubba (a member on this forum), a former NYC pizzaiolo who has moved to the north-left coast.

His site has a members section, in which you can access recipes, view pizza making videos and participate in a forum to learn to make pizza from a man with decades of experience.

Any members from HomespunPizza.com care to voice an opinion?  What about value for the price?

Cheers,  Tom

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: HomespunPizza.com members?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 10:11:05 AM »
I think you'll find a more diverse, knowledgeable and in depth source of information right here on this Forum absolutely Free!You can't get better value than that IMO.Though I would highly reccomend you make a voluntary donation toward it's upkeep (I think Steve suggested something similar to what you would pay for an annual Magazine Subscription?)With the exception of just a few,the vast majority of members here contribute to the site with no personal alternative agenda or to make money out of you.Thank goodness it remains a "Crap Free" zone.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Bubba Kuhn

• A dough to dough salesman since 1967!
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 02:44:19 AM »
Hello
I am the author and a a member of the homespunpizza web site.  I am I think also in a minority on this forums as I am a working pizza maker and have a working shop with a loyal die hard clientele. I will have been making New York Style hand spun pizza for forty years come May of this year.  $35.00 is cheaper then the price of experimentation and you can marvel at the science of it later as you enjoy a great slice now.

The info on this site is great and for some can be a bit overwhelming. I offer a simple "step by step do as I do video"
that can get anyone started with great results while perusing all the nuance of the art this site offers.

The art of forming the perfectly even tapered crust, that Tom Lehmann talks about on this sites recipe page
http://pizzamaking.com/pizza_recipes.html , can only be correctly produced by spinning the dough while floating it on your fist. That way you can feel the tapper while it occur es and know when to stop the center stretch and then shift the pull to even the outside crust.

Unlike Tom I do not have to try to recreate any recipes to try to recreate anything. Nor try to figure out technique of how it was produced.  Tom is a Master Baker no doubt.  I am not that. But I am one of a small group who early on propagated a unique set of recipes and some talent into a culinary trade that now has the grace of a culinary art applied to it. HERE HERE it have been a long time coming. Heres to the Original Pizzaiolos who's burned and scared forarms bear the silent testimony of busy Fridays and insane Saturdays with delivery on the top.

Well I might be biased. Bubba

Share a piece with a friend!

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 12:25:10 PM »
Bubba;
Amazing, and VERY impressive ;D
Buffalo

Offline Bubba Kuhn

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 09:46:18 PM »
THANKS

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 12:39:51 PM »
  What about value for the price?

I joined Homespunpizza.com and made my first pizza today per his recipes.

After eating my first "Bubba" recipe pizza, I had no problem with the $35 fee.

I wish his information was available to me 20 years ago, my pizza's would be much better today.

Regards,

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 12:52:47 PM »
Here's an instructional video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6969980900327304548&q=making+pizza
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Bubba Kuhn

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 01:16:30 PM »
Thank you very much for the compliment. I hope you get as much joy from these recipes as I have. Amaze your friends and neighbors with your pizza prowess. Bring a bit of Old New York out of your own oven. The google movie is just one of the lessons from the web site that I put up. Enjoy!  Bubba

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 07:57:54 PM »
The google movie is just one of the lessons from the web site that I put up. Enjoy!  Bubba

The sauce recipe was it for me - after your sauce video I quit messing around with my sauce recipe

THANKS

Offline Bubba Kuhn

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 08:54:03 PM »
Pretty cool and with right off the shelf ingredients too. I am biased but I like it! Ever make a white sauce for a chicken pie?
Not very old school but a great pie. It works with clams and a fresh parsley and a basil chiffonade.

Offline tgnytg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 02:57:33 PM »
Okay.  I started this thread so I suppose I need to post a follow up.

I joined Bubba's site (www.HomeSpunPizza.com) last month, paid my $35, not affiliated (except as a member), not getting paid by Bubba, yadda, yadda, ....

My pizza quality and consistency have improved dramatically since I signed up for a membership at HomeSpunPizza.com.  The recipes on the site are outstanding, and the video "lessons" are full of useful and easy to follow pizza making techniques, but I don't think Hollywood is going to pay Bubba a call anytime soon.  There is no flashy stuff, just solid information and methods that let me emulate what a professional pizzaiolo does all day every day when he goes to work.

Other sites (including this one) have all sorts of home-based, amateur, pizzaiolos who have unlocked the secrets.  They are willing to share their exhaustive research in pursuit of pizza nirvana.  But of the people posting on the forums, who can you trust to provide good information?  And how can you tell the difference between good advice and bad advice?  And what do I do when the advice or amount of detail is more than I am willing to absorb (sorry, I WILL NOT spend $10K+ on a coal fired brick oven or risk burning my house down for a pizza)?  I do not have the same "fire in the belly" for perfect pizza that many other folks on this site do. 

I just want to make a couple of good pizzas every couple of weeks for family and friends. 

The local pizza shop has made profits a higher priority than their food and their customers.  The food is awful and the prices are too high.  Three pizzas from the local shop will cost me the same as a lifetime membership at HomeSpunPizza.com.  You remember the line about, "give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime."   

Or was it, "...he will be out in a boat drinking beer all day."    ;D

I guess the real selling point of a membership at HomeSpunPizza.com for me is that Bubba is the real deal.  He has been making pizza for decades.  Obviously, he is an expert.  My pizza may not be up to the same quality standards as Bubba, or for that matter Pete-zza or varasano, etc.  But my goal is to make good pizza that my family and friends really like.  I have made Bubba's dough (and modified the recipe slightly to suit my tastes - just a little more hydration), his sauce, and his calzones with pretty good, and more importantly, consistent results.  I love the results and my family and friends really like the "new" way I make my pizzas. 

After using Bubba's recipes and methods, I now know that I can trust what he tells me on his site.   :chef:

I am not in the market for making "perfect pizza."  But with a little help from Bubba, I am able to turn out really, really good homemade pizza on a consistent basis.

I have gotten from Bubba's site exactly what I had hoped for.   Good, and consistently good :pizza: !

I even had a question about a page on the site about putting together a calzone.  Bubba took the time to write me back and explain to me personally what the story was. 

I have gotten my money's worth and can heartily recommend Bubba's site.

Tom

Offline Bubba Kuhn

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 03:16:11 PM »
Thanks for the evaluation, enjoy! Bubba.

pizzapan