Author Topic: Jumped in with BOTH feet.  (Read 9031 times)

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
Jumped in with BOTH feet.
« on: September 20, 2006, 12:02:48 PM »
After converting my home oven, progressing to a Bakers Pride, burning up a kitchen aid, then getting a DLX, I really did it this time.  I bought a used MAM 505 wood only oven.  It's going to be set outside, off the deck.  The pad and block are set.  Setting the oven is next. 
I can't find a lot of information about this oven other than http://www.mamforni.it/eng-prodotti.htm and http://www.brickovens.biz/equipment/mam-brick-oven.htm.  I intend to brick around or entomb it.  I haven't seen anything like this done before.  Any ideas? 

Thanks.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
Re: Jumped in with BOTH feet.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 09:11:33 AM »
It took awhile, but I figured it out.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 09:59:09 AM »
Beautiful!!! Are the roof tiles asphalt, slate, ???

Let's see some photos of the oven in action and the fruits thereof.

Bill/SFNM

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 12:25:40 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  I really appreciate it.  James over at Forno Bravo has been a big help.
The unfinished roof (corners) are asphalt for now.  We're trying to find someone who knows about standing seam copper.  It would serve to compliment the clinker brick.. 

This thing was sitting around for a long time and the interior is full of soot and humidity.  A few fires later, about 70 percent is now white.  Here's a pic when just about half of the oven was clear.  Huge learning curve.  Here's a trial pizza. 
BTW, I dig the YouTube video.  Since I have you on the line, what did  you think of the joint in Albuquerque...  il Vicino?
I was there last spring and visited the one in art(?) district.  I wasn't thrilled.

Tomorrow, I'm starting with the Caputo.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 03:18:39 AM »
Since I have you on the line, what did  you think of the joint in Albuquerque...  il Vicino?
I was there last spring and visited the one in art(?) district.  I wasn't thrilled.

I haven't been to the one in ABQ, but they have one here in Santa Fe which I visited about 5 years ago. I don't recall the details, but was also not impressed. I do recall not wanting to return. IIRC, they use Earthstone ovens.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 07:57:03 PM »
Looks great!!  How many hours did you put into it?

Peteg

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 11:50:43 PM »
Thanks, Peteg.  Make no mistake.  I am not handy.  I pretty much just pointed to what needed to be done.  It took about 2 1/2 months to get things coordinated and handled.  All in all, it's pegging the COOL needle in my neighborhood.

Offline SemperFi

• Getting there, slowly but surely
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 09:18:06 PM »
Congrats on the new toy.  Just wondering, what is the preheat time to get her to temp?  What type of wood do you burn?  How much wood do you burn for one service, from start to end.  Ever tried baking loaves of bread?  Adam
Adam

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 09:58:46 PM »
Thanks SemperFi.

Since it's outside and cold, it takes A LOT of oak wood.  I've learned to use a big propane torch attached to a 20 lb. tank.  After heating up the flue, I'll ignite the stack.  It takes roughly 3 1/2 to 4 hours to get it right.  I'll run it for about 14 pizzas through the evening depending on who comes over.
A smaller, 800 to thousand pounder would require much less time and fuel.
Haven't tried bread yet. 
I can't say how much wood is burned but I can say I will fill a big coffee can with ashes the next day.

Thinkin' about one?

Offline SemperFi

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 09:05:55 AM »
I am actually, no right now, but soon.  Its just that I know of no one that owns one, and the sales people usually only tell you very conservative estimates, at best.  Living here in SoCal, firewood is very expensive, in the range of $400 a cord....so knowing correct preheat estimates is pretty important.  I never thought of using a propane torch to assist in the heating, in my head I was thinking of just lighting a #20 bag of Kingsford in there.  But that won't get you anywhere near a 4 hour preheat.  I am assuming that you think that it was still worth it, so that is good.   :D  I'll have more questions in a spell for you.  Thanks again!
Adam

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 09:42:35 AM »
I never thought of using a propane torch to assist in the heating

You can also use Isopropanol (Isopropyl alcohol), which is just the oxide of propane.  I actually heat my cold bathroom during the winter, just before I take a shower, using Isopropanol and a garden sprayer (with a brass tip) as a flame-throwing blow torch.  It takes about 1.3 seconds to bring the temperature of the whole bathroom up from 54 F to 86 F.  Just burning the Isopropanol after pouring it out onto a surface isn't enough.  An air-injected Isopropanol flame combusts more completely and produces much higher temperatures.  Even propane can't compete with it.  I would like to point out at this time that I take no responsibility for anyone else's carelessness, and I make no warranty for the performance or safety of anyone else's Isopropanol flame-throwing apparatus.

- red.november

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 09:54:08 AM »
Heating the bathroom... Hmmm..   An indoor bathroom, right?  ...Attached to the house?

So you're not married any longer?

That's so cool.  Could you shoot a video of this procedure?

Offline SemperFi

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 10:00:46 AM »
You can also use Isopropanol (Isopropyl alcohol), which is just the oxide of propane.  I actually heat my cold bathroom during the winter, just before I take a shower, using Isopropanol and a garden sprayer (with a brass tip) as a flame-throwing blow torch.  It takes about 1.3 seconds to bring the temperature of the whole bathroom up from 54 F to 86 F.  Just burning the Isopropanol after pouring it out onto a surface isn't enough.  An air-injected Isopropanol flame combusts more completely and produces much higher temperatures.  Even propane can't compete with it.  I would like to point out at this time that I take no responsibility for anyone else's carelessness, and I make no warranty for the performance or safety of anyone else's Isopropanol flame-throwing apparatus.

- red.november

GOOD LORD MAN!!! :o  Boy November, you are definitely not a boring neighbor!  It must look like "Backdraft" in your bathroom every morning as the air races in to replace your 1.3 second inferno.  But I bet that the room must be comfy afterwards.  I guess that I should also tell you that I work for State Farm Insurance company, Fire Claims Division, and I have contacted our representatives concerning your current home policy.   :-D Would your contraption be able to sustain the amount of necessary heat to preheat a hearth for the required time?  Also, would thermal shock occur due to the amount of intense, immediate heat?  Does thermal shock ever occur in ovens at all?  I have never heard anyone talk about it.  Thanks November.  Adam
Adam

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 10:32:20 AM »
Adam,

You are very right about not being a boring neighbor.  Trust me though, that's absolutely nothing compared to the things that have happened on the residential premise when I was too lazy to take one of my chemical propulsion projects out to the official test site.  I created one particular chemical compound which was unofficially dubbed "184" for the decibel level it achieved upon detonation of only three grams.  It was of course too unstable for any prospective client to use, so I couldn't sell my research to anyone.  Although, I take two 1-gram "delivery systems" with me when I go camping in the wilderness.  I guarantee they will repel any attacking beast.

I imagine if you continue the flame-throwing for an extended time, such as 20-30 minutes, you should end up with a superheated oven depending on the size and mass of your oven.  I don't think you'll have a problem with an oven experiencing thermal shock.  You might get micro-fractures over time, but you should be able to prevent that by using very quick bursts initially, and progressively making the bursts longer.  When I perform this in my bathroom, you can definitely hear surfaces warping and joints shifting in the form of crackling noises.

- red.november

EDIT: By the way, it is very comfortable afterwards.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 11:02:17 AM »
I actually heat my cold bathroom during the winter, just before I take a shower, using Isopropanol and a garden sprayer (with a brass tip) as a flame-throwing blow torch.
- red.november

I now have a mental picture of a naked bleary eyed Einstein teetering precariously with chattering teeth as he ignites his hose in his Winter predawn ritual.Good morning and thank you red.november. :-D
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 11:05:33 AM »
David,

While an amusing thought, the whole reason for warming up the bathroom is so that it isn't as cold when I disrobe.  I am fully clothed when I do this.  If something should go wrong, I don't exactly want to run out of the house naked.

- red.november

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 11:09:15 AM »
Heating the bathroom... Hmmm..   An indoor bathroom, right?  ...Attached to the house?

So you're not married any longer?

That's so cool.  Could you shoot a video of this procedure?

Sorry, I completely missed your post before.  It's an indoor bathroom.  I'm not married.  Yes, I can capture some video for you tomorrow.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 11:22:24 AM »
When I perform this in my bathroom, you can definitely hear surfaces warping and joints shifting in the form of crackling noises.

- red.november

EDIT: By the way, it is very comfortable afterwards.

Maybe you should warm up a little before you warm up the bathroom.

As my Wife retiringly points out,(unlike me) ,I can't assume that all Chefs are naked .
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 11:33:03 AM »

I created one particular chemical compound which was unofficially dubbed "184" for the decibel level it achieved upon detonation of only three grams.  It was of course too unstable for any prospective client to use, so I couldn't sell my research to anyone.  Although, I take two 1-gram "delivery systems" with me when I go camping in the wilderness.  I guarantee they will repel any attacking beast.

As a policeman and in light of new post-911 legislature, I would hazard a guess that setting off your "184" in wilderness constitutes a bomb.
Be careful!

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 12:01:02 PM »
As a policeman and in light of new post-911 legislature, I would hazard a guess that setting off your "184" in wilderness constitutes a bomb.
Be careful!

As a past holder of a BATF explosives manufacturing license, I know that it is a bomb.  Where it is set off is of little consequence if my life is in danger though, which is the only time I expect to be setting it off (other than initial testing a couple years ago).  So far I have not had to use it in the wilderness.

David, the drywall and fixtures can take it.  The air is unsurprisingly free of airborne mold too.

- red.november

pizzapan