Author Topic: Red Gold tomatoes?  (Read 4105 times)

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
Red Gold tomatoes?
« on: September 21, 2006, 10:29:20 AM »
Is Red Gold brand the same as Red Pack? Are they capable of a good sauce? I bought a can (whole peeeled) last night, was planning on making a pizza sauce last night and let refrigerate overnight but I was out of oregano. I'm going to make it a couple of hours before I bake the pie tonight, in hopes that enough flavors will meld together in that timeframe. Here in Dayton, Ohio we really don't have a good selection of canned tomatoes, no 6-in-1 up here, at least not the places I've been. Anyway, they look like good tomatoes.

I made a homemade sauce one time and it was much better the day after it was refrigerated. I feel it was way too sweet though since I added a little too much sugar. I exclusively been using Contandina canned pizza sauce and am getting tired of the 'pastey-ness' texture that it has. I can make a pretty darn good dough (NY style) right now so I need to start focusing on a good sauce recipe. Can you guys provide some good tips on making a good sauce? I'm gonna start with a sauce that enough for two pies, no more than that for now. I don't want to make a lot of sauce, especially if it turns out bad. I plan on mincing and sweating some fresh garlic (maybe onions as well) before adding the tomatoes.

Varasano....I read about your method straining the tomatoes until the juice runs clear. I'll try that tonight in hopes to remove some acidity associated with citric acid. I'll let the tomato sauce cook on the pizza, not before.

I did buy a small can of tomato paste which I may use very sparingly. How much should I use of that, tablespoon or two?

Any help is appreciated....thanks....

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
Re: Red Gold tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 11:41:16 AM »
If you've never done it before, try making a simple sauce - no paste, no onion, no garlic and no oregano, no heating. Maybe some salt and some romano, and do the rinsing thing and that's it. Try it at least once that way. I think you'll be surprised how less is more.

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 01:19:58 PM »
"Here in Dayton, Ohio we really don't have a good selection of canned tomatoes, no 6-in-1 up here, at least not the places I've been. Anyway, they look like good tomatoes."

I ordered 6-in-1 online.  The shipping is very reasonable. http://www.escalon.net/6in1.asp

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 02:37:15 PM »
If you've never done it before, try making a simple sauce - no paste, no onion, no garlic and no oregano, no heating. Maybe some salt and some romano, and do the rinsing thing and that's it. Try it at least once that way. I think you'll be surprised how less is more.

Well, I love oregano and basil so I may add a teaspoon of each to it, but that's all. From my understanding, if you feel the sauce is too watery or thin it'll thicken up once you bake the pizza. I'll skip the garlic this time around I think. I think the key is having good tasting tomatoes, then I can add what I feel is necessary. Everyone's tastebuds are different, some like lots of spices while some like more tomato flavor. I like a happy medium, not too sweet though.

I'll let you know how it turns out......thanks....

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 03:00:58 PM »
"Here in Dayton, Ohio we really don't have a good selection of canned tomatoes, no 6-in-1 up here, at least not the places I've been. Anyway, they look like good tomatoes."

I ordered 6-in-1 online.  The shipping is very reasonable. http://www.escalon.net/6in1.asp

Wow, I didn't expect shipping to be so low. $1.50 shipping for 6 cans is a good deal. I've always been under the assumption that canned whole tomatoes are the way to go, not ground. Should I ignore this asumption? Which Escalon tomatoes would you recommend me trying out? I see they have around seven different brands.

You think if I asked my favorite local pizza parlor which brand of tomatoes they use that they would tell me? Or is that like a secret that most places don't want to reveal?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 03:16:09 PM »
canned whole tomatoes make a different type of sauce.  They both have their merits.  I love the 6 in 1 tomatoes, and I love san marzano's whole, both for different types of pizza.  For American or new york street style pizza (the typical by the slice stuff)  I think Bonta and 6 in 1's are the way to go.  For neapolitan or other more classic italian dishes, plus pasta sauces etc. I think the whole tomatoes are better.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 03:21:03 PM »
The 6 in 1's are basically crushed tomatoes mixed with bonta.  Bonta is a thick, but smooth product that is similar to paste.  It comes in a few thickness, one that will work right on your pizza, and one that is very thick.  Basically the 6 in 1's are like crushed tomatoes with paste added, so the flavor is richer than what you would find with an uncooked sauce made with whole tomatoes.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 04:06:48 PM »
It's my understanding that the RedPack brand is under an umbrella with other brands. This umbrella is called RedGold. They might be trying to change the name, but everyone knows it as Redpack, so they kept the brand name around.

I have been trying to buy their "Heavy Pizza sauce with Basil" since I know for certain this was used in the parlour  I worked at. RedGold claims it is a Foodservice item only, yet others on the board here have been able to find it in "cash and carry" type stores. It may also be limited in certain markets. They also make a "fully prepared pizza sauce" but I prefer to add my own seasoning.

I personally think Redpack makes the best commercial sauce around. If you want a commercial taste, you're almost certainly going to have to use a commercial product.

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 04:09:18 PM »
After rinsing the tomatoes I plan on using my little food blender to crush the tomatoes, but not to the point where it completely obliterates them to a juice. I don't really want it chunky either, just nice and pulpy if that makes any sense. I don't care for chunks of tomato in the sauce. Whatever I make I'm sure it'll be a lot better than what I have been using.

Thanks.......

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 09:58:03 AM »
Well, the sauce turned out very good. The Red Gold were much better than the Kroger's brand canned tomatoes that I've used in the past. I tried the rinsing method that Varasano recommended but I could not get the juice to run clear. Maybe I was straining it wrong. Do I have to crush the tomatoes before rinsing?

I separated the juice from the tomatoes, put the tomatoes in the blender, chopped until pulpy, then added enough of the juice back to get the consistency that I wanted. I ended up discarding about a 1/4 cup of juice because it would be way too thin if added to the tomatoes. I didn't bother with removing the seeds, who cares if there's a little bit of seeds in the sauce anyway? After that I added about a teaspoon and a half of dried oregano, about a teaspoon of dried basil, half teaspoon of parmesan, pinch of sugar, and a pinch of salt. Sealed the lid and placed in the fridge for a couple hours.

Preheated the stone at 500F for 45 minutes, dusted peel with cornmeal, stretched the dough, placed the newly made tomato sauce, sliced some fresh mozzarella, sliced a few pepperonis, and put in the oven. It was ready at just under 10 minutes. I tell you, this was probably one of my top 2 homemade pizzas that I've ever made. The crust really stood out, it was almost to the point where it charred on the outer crust, very crunchy and full of air pockets. Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera. This was the first time I've used cornmeal for dusting the peel. I must say it's an improvement over the bread flour that I have been using prior to this. I will NEVER use bread flour again for dusting...what was I thinking?

The sauce was really good but it seemed like something was missing, maybe not enough tomato flavor? Maybe I didn't add enough sauce to the pie? Maybe if I let it sit in the fridge overnight it'll improve? Next time maybe add a couple tablespoons of tomato paste to bring out the tomato flavor more? Maybe more oregano? Even though there was something missing, it was still a very good sauce so I think I'll stick with Red Gold for a while. Once I master the sauce I'll try 6-in-1, see if it improves things a bit.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 10:14:33 AM by Kidder »

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 01:26:45 PM »
I basically go for the $$$.  There are three supermarkets in my NYC neighborhood and every couple of weeks, usually, more frequently, one or more of them will have whole peeled tomatoes on special for very low prices, such as 99 cents for a 28 oz. can.  Sometimes, they're canned in Italy, sometimes here, but what the heck, if it's got an Italian name, I'll buy three or four cans.

The way I use it for sauce is I dump the tomatoes in a strainer, hand-squish the tomatoes just enough to open them, set the strainer over a bowl, put the whole apparatus in a plastic grocery bag sealed with a clip and leave overnight.  In the morning, I dump the drained tomatoes into a bowl and use a handheld ("boat motor") blender to grind the tomatoes to the consistency I want. I do not add any spices. Making one 9"-10" Italian-style pizza per day, one can easily last a week, or longer.

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 02:22:22 PM »
I basically go for the $$$.  There are three supermarkets in my NYC neighborhood and every couple of weeks, usually, more frequently, one or more of them will have whole peeled tomatoes on special for very low prices, such as 99 cents for a 28 oz. can.  Sometimes, they're canned in Italy, sometimes here, but what the heck, if it's got an Italian name, I'll buy three or four cans.

The way I use it for sauce is I dump the tomatoes in a strainer, hand-squish the tomatoes just enough to open them, set the strainer over a bowl, put the whole apparatus in a plastic grocery bag sealed with a clip and leave overnight.  In the morning, I dump the drained tomatoes into a bowl and use a handheld ("boat motor") blender to grind the tomatoes to the consistency I want. I do not add any spices. Making one 9"-10" Italian-style pizza per day, one can easily last a week, or longer.

I'm a little confused what you're trying to achieve by leaving everything in a bag overnight. I assume in the fridge? Seems like an unnecessary mess to me. Why couldn't you just put the squished tomatoes in a Rubbermaid or Tupperware plastic bowl and seal with a lid?

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 03:12:48 PM »
Ultimately, I do put the tomatoes, after I grind them, into a Rubbermaid-type container.  But first I want to drain off the juice so the sauce won't be watery.  I like to drain the tomatoes overnight, in the refrigerator and I am concerned about the tomatoes possible dryng out and/or absorbing odors from other items in the refrigerator.  So after I sump the tomatoes into the strainer and squeeze them just enough to break them open, I set the strainer containing the tomatoes over a bowl, slide the bowl-and-strainer into a plastic grocery bag, seal it and put it into the refrigerator.  In the morning, I dump the liquid that has collected in the bowl overnight, dump the now-drained tomatoes into the bowl, and grind them with my handheld blender, resulting in a thick sauce with small chunks of tomato that, when brought to room temperature, spreads nicely on a pizza.  What I don't use immediately, I put in a plastic container and keep in the fridge.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 03:17:12 PM by gschwim »

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 07:03:08 PM »
You can 6 in1 crushed tomatoes at Gordan Food Service (GFS) which has many midwest locations including the Dayton/Cincinnati/Columbus area. You have to buy the large restaurant size cans but they are reasonably priced and you can store it (freezer) in smaller quantities for future use. They also carry HG flour, cheese, toppings etc.

GFS store locater:
http://gfs.know-where.com/gfs/