Author Topic: My few first attempts at making a Detroit Pizza  (Read 1172 times)

Offline jjd_87

• I Love Pizza!
My few first attempts at making a Detroit Pizza
« on: January 12, 2016, 11:59:01 AM »
So after receiving the stater kit from Detroit Style Pizza Co. for Christmas I've been trying my hand a Detroit style pizza. So far my results have been good using the included mix for the dough. Pictures of that attempt can be seen here. http://imgur.com/a/nsozA

This weekend I made the dough myself using HBolte's recipe over in the Two Bill's thread. 48 Hrs CF in the fridge, then 3Hrs rising in the pan at room temp. Cheese is a mixture of Low Moisture Mozz and White Cheddar. So far I am pleased with the results, but I really have nothing to compare them to. I've never been to Detroit and the only place that sells anything close around here is Little Caesars (Hey they advertise it as Detroit style that must make it true!  ;) ) I'm just unsure if my dough should be rising more? Also this dough wasn't as sticky as the one included in the kit, which I'm assuming means the hydration is lower. Any advantage to going to a higher hydration?

Jeremiah

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
Re: My few first attempts at making a Detroit Pizza
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 04:36:07 PM »
Looks like you did a great job!
Hans

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 01:10:26 AM »
What was the time and temp of your bake? Looks like a great pie! Love your bottom crust. Looks nice and crispy. Sometimes mine bake up a little too dark in the same pan

Offline jjd_87

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 07:49:17 AM »
What was the time and temp of your bake? Looks like a great pie! Love your bottom crust. Looks nice and crispy. Sometimes mine bake up a little too dark in the same pan

Thanks! I cooked mine on 450F for 12-15 min. I used a very light amount of olive oil for the pan, the bottom hasn't been as crispy as I would like but I think that is because I am letting it cool on a pizza stone instead of a cooling rack where heat can escape.
Jeremiah

Offline surgtech2006

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 01:46:52 PM »
Wow, those look great. I'll be doing a few this weekend, I want to see if I can get more rise in the pan. Mine look about the same as yours before baking. Also, I'm using butter in the pan.

Jerry

Offline jjd_87

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 02:40:35 PM »
Wow, those look great. I'll be doing a few this weekend, I want to see if I can get more rise in the pan. Mine look about the same as yours before baking. Also, I'm using butter in the pan.

Jerry
Thanks! I'm just using a very light amount of olive oil on my pans.
Jeremiah

Offline jjd_87

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 07:46:25 AM »
Made 2 Detroit style pizzas last night for my wife's birthday. I don't know why I waited so long other than wanting another pan so I could cook them for family. This time I switched to spraying the pans with a light coat of Pam. This seemed to crisp up the bottom the right amount. The next test will be to put Norma's recipe up against the reigning champ HBolte. I'll be interested to see how changing the hydration 13% changes the taste of the pizza.

Also this was the first time I put the pepperoni on top of the cheese instead of under and I liked it a lot better this way.
Jeremiah

Offline jjd_87

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 10:40:39 AM »
More Detroit style last night. Still at 65% hydration, 24h CF, 2h RTF, cooked all 3 at the same time in my parents oven which seems to cook very uneven compared to my home oven. Quickly becoming my favorite style of pizza. Finally got a good crumb shot of one of my pizzas.
Jeremiah

Offline mudman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 05:58:11 AM »
Good lookin pies!!!

Offline jjd_87

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 11:21:03 AM »
So my experiment with comparing hydration levels didn't seem to work and really left me confused. I made 2 batches of dough one with 62% Hydration and another with 70%. 
I cooked them both at the same time which I now realize was a mistake as the 62% pizzas didn't brown on the bottom at all. The 70% were really crispy and had a great taste.
As far as taste no one could really nail down a favorite way other than saying that the 70% was more filling. I liked the 70% because it seemed to fill the pan better but was much sticker in the mixing phase.
This was the first time I cooked raw sausage directly on the pizza, it was delicious. Another good pizza night with the family.
Jeremiah

Offline jjd_87

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 11:22:23 AM »
The little guy is a fan of DS because the "dip" is on top.  :-D
Jeremiah

Offline Pizza Shark

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 11:44:20 AM »
Not sure if you've tried this but I found my Detroit & Sicilian pies tasted far better and were crispier when I lightly greased the pan with Crisco (regular or butter flavor) instead of using an oil.  I also let my dough to a cold ferment in the fridge for a few days before using so when the cold dough gets pressed into the pan with the Crisco in it "sticks" to the pan instead of snapping back and skidding around on oil.  Much, much easier to press the dough out that way and then cover the pan and allow to rise at room temp or in a warm area prior to baking. 

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 01:18:07 AM »
I'll second the solid fat suggestion. I don't think it has to be crisco, but solid fats seem to give a crisper bottom and make stretching easier.

I have pressed room temp dough onto a lightly crisco-ed pan and found it stuck just fine...it didn't have to be cold. What I like about using a solid fat is I can stretch it and let the dough proof without having to deflate it by pressing it into the corners again! Just one press, let it proof and suspend itself by rising up the sides of the pan and you get an extremely airy crust! Doesn't matter if its 60% hydration or 70%! In my opinion, the long proof is key for this style.

Not sure if you've tried this but I found my Detroit & Sicilian pies tasted far better and were crispier when I lightly greased the pan with Crisco (regular or butter flavor) instead of using an oil.  I also let my dough to a cold ferment in the fridge for a few days before using so when the cold dough gets pressed into the pan with the Crisco in it "sticks" to the pan instead of snapping back and skidding around on oil.  Much, much easier to press the dough out that way and then cover the pan and allow to rise at room temp or in a warm area prior to baking.

wordpress