Author Topic: My First Dee-troit!  (Read 1143 times)

Offline rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
My First Dee-troit!
« on: May 17, 2015, 10:59:08 AM »
It was a big hit. got lucky as heck. Especially the sauce. I have not done many cooked pizza sauces.

75% water, .65% IDY, 1.75% salt, 1% honey and 1% LDM. The flour was 50% Caputo 00 (red bag), 40% FS and 10% Durum. I also used 2-tsp of that seemingly controversial KA Bread Improver. 4-hour RT.

Butter flavored Crisco smeared on pan before spreading the dough out. I used my over-stove microwave with lights on underneath to do a quick bulk ferment. It's over 90F in there. The dough just poured into the pan and spread and evened out with considerable ease. Oven with light on thing for the proof in pan before having to pre-heat.  Baked at 475F for 17 minutes.

Light drizzle of olive oil, liberal dusting of medium strength pecorino, cheddar around the edges, mozzarella blend and more cheddar for rest of pie, sautéed mushrooms, peppers and onions and a different pepperoni than normal. Red sauce was cooked DOP Sans Marzanos. (Veggies on only half of pie.)

It took me a few weeks to conceptualize what I was going to do beginning to end. Lots of notes from a long thread cloning Buddy's as well as quite a few others.

I have only one improvement for next time. 'll use a dough scraper on the edges and pull back the dough just far enough to put additional cheddar. I may increase bake by a couple of minutes. Not sure. Maybe a it less red pepper in sauce. I'm nit picking. There will be no major changes.

This was wow factor pizza. No wonder it's so popular. Words cannot describe. A perfect confluence of flavor. This forum has soooooooooo many good tips on this genre as well as others.

(ps - last pic is of scotched eggs with sausage gravy on toasted 5-day old SD that failed due to over-blown and fumbled.)
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: My First Dee-troit!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 12:11:56 PM »
Roy,

Your first Detroit style pizza looks terrific!  ;D

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »
Great looking DS. I love the crust color. What are the worm-looking things in the 4th picture?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Simple Man

• Where am I?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 12:25:16 PM »
Roy,

Your first Detroit style pizza looks terrific!  ;D

Norma

^^^
Dave

Offline rparker

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 12:38:50 PM »
Thanks, folks. I learned SOOOOO much doing this one. Next up is to cut up a round pan like Craig did for a bar style pizza. Star Tavern style, IIRC?

Great looking DS. I love the crust color. What are the worm-looking things in the 4th picture?

I think it's because 8-ounces of the cheese I used was the Grande 50/50 blend I got when I ordered a small bag of AT from Penn Mac this Winter.
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 01:25:44 PM »
Looks great!  Detroit has become the favorite when I make a sampler for people of NY, Cracker crust & Detroit.  I pile the cheddar around the edges at a bevel, so to speak.  The "rim pile" goes about 3/4 of an inch up the sides of the pan.  It then melts down and goes in the gap as the dough shrinks and carmelizes.

Offline rparker

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 03:18:26 PM »
Looks great!  Detroit has become the favorite when I make a sampler for people of NY, Cracker crust & Detroit.  I pile the cheddar around the edges at a bevel, so to speak.  The "rim pile" goes about 3/4 of an inch up the sides of the pan.  It then melts down and goes in the gap as the dough shrinks and carmelizes.

Thanks for the tip! I was maybe 3/8th, which kind of disappeared once everything else got put on. I thought my crust would have shrunk up and let more cheese go down the edges. I had that happen with my Greek pie this Winter.

I can understand the Detroit getting rave reviews from your guests.

Online Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 11:27:54 PM »

I thought they were noodles, nice looking pie though!!
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline HBolte

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 12:00:22 AM »
Good job on the DS! Scotch eggs look great too.
Hans

Offline rparker

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 07:32:35 AM »
I'm glad you guys said noodles and not something gross. I'd never be able to use stringy cheese again.  :-D 

Thanks again, guys! I had 1/2 a slice last night after about 10 minutes in the oven. Good, good stuff. This will make it to the table once a month, easy.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 08:18:48 AM »
nice!

I pile the cheddar around the edges at a bevel, so to speak.  The "rim pile" goes about 3/4 of an inch up the sides of the pan.  It then melts down and goes in the gap as the dough shrinks and carmelizes.

this is what I do
Deb

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 08:34:51 AM »
Great first attempt Roy....looks  mahvelous    :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline rparker

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 10:19:17 PM »
Thanks, folks.  :D

Ok, I'm doing th 3/4 thing this Friday, then. Doing one of these and a couple of NY'ers Friday for guests. I might test a 4-square in between. I didn't do this one on a stone and I wanna try that.

Offline aSliceofHeaven

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 10:41:17 PM »
I've been looking for a great detroit style dough.  I'm new to this forum but am eager to learn.  You used a lot of acronyms in the description of the flours you use.  Can you break them down in lay men's terms.?

Offline rparker

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 11:37:27 PM »
I've been looking for a great detroit style dough.  I'm new to this forum but am eager to learn.  You used a lot of acronyms in the description of the flours you use.  Can you break them down in lay men's terms.?
Here's a list of common abbreviations found in the forum info section. There will be a quiz before your 25th post. Welcome to the site.

J/K about the quiz.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20056.0

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 11:41:07 PM »

See http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20056.msg196875#msg196875

Peter

Offline AnotherOneBitesTheCrust

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 11:18:34 AM »
While everyone loves my Detroit Style, I am not happy with the dough itself.  Yours looks very similar to what I have been going for.  I know one thing I need to do next time is cut back the weight I put in each pan, and since I have some 00 i want to use up Im going to try that too.  Just a couple questions. 

You only did a Room Temp Rise at 4 hours and then cook?

No par bake either?

Offline rparker

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 02:02:30 PM »
While everyone loves my Detroit Style, I am not happy with the dough itself.  Yours looks very similar to what I have been going for.  I know one thing I need to do next time is cut back the weight I put in each pan, and since I have some 00 i want to use up Im going to try that too.  Just a couple questions. 

You only did a Room Temp Rise at 4 hours and then cook?

No par bake either?
The first time was all RT. The next one had about 45 minutes in a 60F-ish cooler in the middle to slow things down a bit as it was taking off. I'm pretty sure I landed somewhere around 3-1/2 hours total.

No par bake.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:44:31 PM by rparker »

Offline rparker

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 02:43:37 PM »
Here's my regimen for anyone interested. I derived this after scouring a few long Detroit Style threads for days.

Total Formula:
Flour (100%):    291.68 g****
     150g FS
     100g "00"
     25g Durum
     17g "Dough Improver" (Choose a flour and add this much weight to it if not using.)
Water (75%):    218.76 g
IDY (.65%):    1.9 g
Salt (1.75%):    5.1 g
Honey (1%):    2.92 g
Diastatic Malt Powder (1%):    2.92 g
Total (179.4%):   523.27 g

This is for the standard 8-Square Detroit style pan.

#1: Dissolve salt and honey in 86F water. (it will cool as it sits - no worries)
#2: Stir together all flour, IDY, LDM together.
#3: Add flour mixture to water.
#4: Stir until incorporated into more of a clump, or almost no dry flour remaining.
#5: Lest rest for 5 minutes.
#6: Mix for another minute or so until it is a dough. Turn mixer up one notch. (On my KA 600, this goes from 1 to 2 on a 10 speed mixer.)
#7: Knead for 4-6 minutes or so. I really have not decided exactly. I do not want it to over-knead and get tough.
#8: Cover and let sit for about 30 minutes. (short bulk ferment)
#9: While it's fermenting, I smear about a tablespoon of butter flavored Crisco all over the bottom and almost all the way up the sides.
#10: "Pour" the dough into the pizza pan and spread to corners. You'll find that there really isn't much stretching going on, and it has almost no desire to want to spring back.
#11: Very lightly brush or spread a little bit of oil on top of the spread dough and cover with plastic wrap. (oil keeps it from drying out)
#12: let rest at RT for 2-3 hours. It will rise a bit. Maybe 50%. If it's looking like it's ahead of schedule, give it a little time in a much cooler place.
#13: Top and bake at 475F for 15-17 minutes. (I'm at 17-19 minutes) My oven rack is on the second lowest spot for this. 

**** This past time I had to add maybe 20g of flour just to get it off the bottom of the mixer bowl. I must have messed something up, somewhere. I'm making one this afternoon and will weigh a small amount of additional flour before mixing. If I use any of it, I will note it and adjust my formula accordingly.

On the toppings: I used 1-pound of grated cheese, total, plus a liberal dose of Parmesan. About 1/3rd of that weight was cheddar. I put most of the cheddar around the edges using the taper and tuck technique as described to me by members earlier in this and many other threads thread. Then I add remaining cheddar to the remaining other cheese(s) and spread all over. Finish off with a light helping of whatever else I want and ladle a couple strips of sauce.

I'm about to do an 8 and a 4 square Detroit style, both using some unconventional toppings. I'll post pics.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 02:54:08 PM »
Thanks!   I have a bunch of the 8 and 4 square pans so its fun to experiment with different doughs...(its also very filling)

I am going to do a Cold Ferment and RT both to the same volume and see how they compare. 

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:57:19 PM by AnotherOneBitesTheCrust »

Offline rparker

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 05:03:17 PM »
Thanks!   I have a bunch of the 8 and 4 square pans so its fun to experiment with different doughs...(its also very filling)

I am going to do a Cold Ferment and RT both to the same volume and see how they compare.
I'll be interested to hear how those differ. Flavor's gotta improve, I'd think, with the CF.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 05:10:04 PM »
Ill post my findings with some pictures.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 07:14:21 AM »
Any chance you know your dough weight for an 8 square pan?  Its not a big deal, but It would save me some experimenting if I had a solid starting point with this dough. 

Offline rparker

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 07:48:05 AM »
Any chance you know your dough weight for an 8 square pan?  Its not a big deal, but It would save me some experimenting if I had a solid starting point with this dough.
523.27g with a 4% waste  compensation factor.

Offline rparker

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 06:38:04 PM »
I got inspired by the steak on pizza thread and decided that Detroit was needed to soak on any yummy juices from a part wie reduction pan sauce - part beef gravy thing I had in mind. I went overboard. Wicked good. Incredible beefy flavor bomb coupled with that Detroit bottom crust thing.

for the full description.....
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=39014.msg392341#msg392341

Here's the only pic to save anyone the click who wants to. it's an awful shot. her phone camera is much better, and my camera battery had just died.

pizzapan